PING: Podge

Old January 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default PING: Podge

In the process of converting old slides to computer files I found this
picture taken in 1968. It's a photograph of New York City taken from
an Eastern Airline flight during the landing process; in a holding
pattern if I remember correctly. Back when Eastern was around and
cameras were allowed to be used by passengers when taking off and
landing.

This is probably as good as any photograph ever taken through a cabin
window of a cityscape. Better than most. This is the type of picture
that you are now being denied.

Gee, what a loss.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/1968air.jpg
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 23rd 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Default Podge

tony cooper wrote:
In the process of converting old slides to computer files I found this
picture taken in 1968. It's a photograph of New York City taken from
an Eastern Airline flight during the landing process; in a holding
pattern if I remember correctly. Back when Eastern was around and
cameras were allowed to be used by passengers when taking off and
landing.

This is probably as good as any photograph ever taken through a cabin
window of a cityscape. Better than most. This is the type of picture
that you are now being denied.

Gee, what a loss.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/1968air.jpg

... or on a trip to London rather more recently:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/i...-1411-01-a.jpg

David

Old January 23rd 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:07:42 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
In the process of converting old slides to computer files I found this
picture taken in 1968. It's a photograph of New York City taken from
an Eastern Airline flight during the landing process; in a holding
pattern if I remember correctly. Back when Eastern was around and
cameras were allowed to be used by passengers when taking off and
landing.

This is probably as good as any photograph ever taken through a cabin
window of a cityscape. Better than most. This is the type of picture
that you are now being denied.

Gee, what a loss.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/1968air.jpg

.. or on a trip to London rather more recently:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/i...-1411-01-a.jpg

This thread wasn't intended to be about photographs with recognizable
scenes. It was supposed to be about what *most* shots from airplane
windows look like.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 23rd 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_4_]

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
[...]

This is usenet - what people intend with their is not relevant, only what
happens to it is.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old January 23rd 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
[...]

I've got some neat shots:
http://edgehill.net/human-world/3-Aerial/pg1pc3
http://edgehill.net/Overseas/6-8-02-...from-the-plane
It usually takes a lot of postprocessing to cut through the haze.
Old January 23rd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jean

news: ...
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
[...]

Shows how wrong you can be ;-)

Now what is it they say about taking pictures when there is a metal mesh
like in a zoo? Just put you camera as close to the mesh as possible and
open up the lens, the mesh will not show, same thing with scratches in plane
windows. Now as to what you can take, sometimes the pictures turn out good
so why not try it?

Jean

Old January 23rd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jean

wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
[...]

Yes, but sometimes it turns out pretty good

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...1694-avion.jpg

Jean

Old January 23rd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nervous Nick

On Jan 23, 11:07 am, "David J Taylor" -
this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
In the process of converting old slides to computer files I found this
picture taken in 1968. It's a photograph of New York City taken from
an Eastern Airline flight during the landing process; in a holding
pattern if I remember correctly. Back when Eastern was around and
cameras were allowed to be used by passengers when taking off and
landing.

This is probably as good as any photograph ever taken through a cabin
window of a cityscape. Better than most. This is the type of picture
that you are now being denied.

Gee, what a loss.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/1968air.jpg

.. or on a trip to London rather more recently:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/i...-1411-01-a.jpg

David

That is an awesome photo. Thanks. Last time I was in London was in
1990, for about a month of shooting, so I had lots of fun poring over
it.

--
YOP...

--
YOP...
Old January 24th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Nervous Nick wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:07 am, "David J Taylor"

[]
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/i...-1411-01-a.jpg

David

That is an awesome photo. Thanks. Last time I was in London was in
1990, for about a month of shooting, so I had lots of fun poring over
it.

--
YOP...

Glad you enjoyed it, Nick. Not coming from London, nor having visited
very often recently, I'm not all that up with the recent buildings, so I
was just photographing as things came into view, with the camera set to
"landscape mode" to keep the focus at infinity. At least with digital you
can take lots and select the best. I applied some correction in Paint
Shop Pro to improve the contrast. I also liked the low-angle lighting at
that time of the year.

Coming in to Heathrow from the west you can sometimes get a good shot of
Windsor Castle from the port side (left side)....

Cheers,
David