Hasselblad 500C/M "LATE"

Old October 31st 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bob Kirkpatrick

Default Hasselblad 500C/M "LATE"

I have seen several references to a 500C/M "Late" model. I know that
Hasselblad went to a crank winder as standard on later models of the
500C/M. Is there anything else that distinguishes a given 500C/M as a
"Late" model?

Bob Kirkpatrick

Old October 31st 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Bob Kirkpatrick wrote:

I have seen several references to a 500C/M "Late" model. I know that
Hasselblad went to a crank winder as standard on later models of the
500C/M. Is there anything else that distinguishes a given 500C/M as a
"Late" model?

The way the trim curves round the camera ready signal window: round on the
old model, more angular on the later model.
The tripod quick shoe and lower magazine hooks: two quite separate things on
the old model, one metal part, running as a fork from underneath the tripod
shoe to the hooks on the late model.
The molding/surface of the rear baffles: hard to describe though.

Not all changes will have been made at the same time.
The cable hook hole on the camera's left side, for instance, disappeared
before other changes were made.

Old October 31st 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote:
Bob Kirkpatrick wrote:

I have seen several references to a 500C/M "Late" model. I know that
Hasselblad went to a crank winder as standard on later models of the
500C/M. Is there anything else that distinguishes a given 500C/M as a
"Late" model?

The way the trim curves round the camera ready signal window: round on the
old model, more angular on the later model.
The tripod quick shoe and lower magazine hooks: two quite separate things
on the old model, one metal part, running as a fork from underneath the
tripod shoe to the hooks on the late model.
The molding/surface of the rear baffles: hard to describe though.

Not all changes will have been made at the same time.
The cable hook hole on the camera's left side, for instance, disappeared
before other changes were made.

When did the "T" coating get replaced with "T*"? Was that before, during, or
after the 500C/M?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 31st 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

David J. Littleboy wrote:

When did the "T" coating get replaced with "T*"? Was that before, during,
or after the 500C/M?

Cameras, like the 500 C/M, do not have T- or T*-coatings...

The coating on the C lenses was changed during a period of years, with not
every lens type changing at the same time. The period spanned from
(approximately) 1970 - 1976.
The 500 C to C/M change was in 1969-1970.

Old October 31st 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

In article , Q.G. de Bakker
wrote:

The coating on the C lenses was changed during a period of years, with not
every lens type changing at the same time. The period spanned from
(approximately) 1970 - 1976.
The 500 C to C/M change was in 1969-1970.

I bought my first Hasselblad in 1971. It's marked as a 500C, but is
really a C/M (as the screen is removable). It's probably a transition
model.
Old October 31st 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Mr. Strat wrote:

I bought my first Hasselblad in 1971. It's marked as a 500C, but is
really a C/M (as the screen is removable). It's probably a transition
model.

Pobably.
Have you checked the date code, and if so, what's the year it was
manufactured?

Old October 31st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

In article , Q.G. de Bakker
wrote:

Mr. Strat wrote:

I bought my first Hasselblad in 1971. It's marked as a 500C, but is
really a C/M (as the screen is removable). It's probably a transition
model.

Pobably.
Have you checked the date code, and if so, what's the year it was
manufactured?

I had to look...the serial number on the body starts with "US".
So...using VHPICTURES, that would make it 1970.
Old October 31st 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Mr. Strat wrote:

I had to look...the serial number on the body starts with "US".
So...using VHPICTURES, that would make it 1970.

Bang on. So a "transitional" 500 C it is.
(Could not have been anything else really. ;-) )

Old November 1st 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

When did the "T" coating get replaced with "T*"? Was that before, during,
or after the 500C/M?

Cameras, like the 500 C/M, do not have T- or T*-coatings...

When purchased as a kit, they come with a normal lens that does.

The coating on the C lenses was changed during a period of years, with not
every lens type changing at the same time. The period spanned from
(approximately) 1970 - 1976.
The 500 C to C/M change was in 1969-1970.

So when did the 80/2.8 kit lens switch from T to T*?

Which is relevant here, because "LATE" may (or may not) imply T* coatings on
the standard lens, and we haven't figured that out yet.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Cameras, like the 500 C/M, do not have T- or T*-coatings...

When purchased as a kit, they come with a normal lens that does.

But we're not discussing lenses...

The coating on the C lenses was changed during a period of years, with
not every lens type changing at the same time. The period spanned from
(approximately) 1970 - 1976.
The 500 C to C/M change was in 1969-1970.

So when did the 80/2.8 kit lens switch from T to T*?

About 1971.

Well before the change from early C/M to late C/M.
But we're not discussing lenses.

Which is relevant here, because "LATE" may (or may not) imply T* coatings
on the standard lens, and we haven't figured that out yet.

Have we not?
Anyway, as you do know, lenses are interchangeable, and a camera that 30+
years later still has the original lens it came with is rather a rarity.
And by the time the 500 C/M changed a bit, all lenses had been T* coated.
In fact, the old lens line that had some single coated lenses earlier had
been replaced by a new line already.

Now you see why we are not discussing when lenses got T* coating?
Of no concern whatsoever when you want to know when a 500 C/M was 'revamp' a
bit.