CANON S3 IS a good choice?

Old January 30th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN

Default CANON S3 IS a good choice?

Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?
Old January 30th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

GMAN wrote:
Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready
for a DSLR and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

Yes no yes no yes no yes no.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 30th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Crunchy Doodle

The S3 IS is a good choice for an advanced P&S camera with super-zoom.
You can shoot with full automation or full manual control, unlike many
other P&S cameras. With 6MP, true OIS and the higher ISO capability,
you can get shots most other cameras won't. It's also not too big or
heavy. While all that's true and good, I can easily outperform it with
my DSLR, a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-L1. So, it's up to you. If you can
afford a decent DSLR, don't mind the size and weight, then get one.
Otherwise, the S3 IS is a very good camera.

Bye.

Old January 30th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"GMAN" wrote in message
Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.

The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to get.
The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're not
prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...

dwight

Old January 30th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GMAN

In article , "dwight" wrote:
"GMAN" wrote in message
Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.

The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to get.
The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're not
prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...

dwight

Thanks Guys!!! A DSLR is still too bulky and more than i need right now. The
S3 IS feels good and solid, and I do not want a pocket sized either, too
limited IMHO.
Old January 30th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Crunchy Doodle

Just a side note on the Panasonic DMC-L1 . . . It has live preview, as
does some of its cousins made by Olympus. My now ancient Olympus E-10
DSLR also had it.

Bye.

[.......]

Old January 30th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:17:46 +0000, GMAN wrote:

Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

I suppose it's all right. IMHO - I like the Kodak P series better for one
reason - the Kodak EVF is higher resolution. I look through the viewfinder
on the Canon, I see it is very pixelated - bothers me to no end; evidently
bothers other folks much less. The Kodak P850 I recently bought (refurb
from the Kodak online store) has a 237k pixel EVF and looks MUCH cleaner.
The Kodak P series also feature IS and save as raw, tif, jpg. BTW - got
the camera and a printer dock (totally optional accessory, but kind of
cool) for $300.

Old January 31st 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , "dwight"
wrote:
"GMAN" wrote in message
Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a
DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

I was you (I think) back in 2004, when I bought the S1. It led directly to
the Canon Rebel XT not much after that.

The S1 has a live preview, so you pretty much know what you're going to
get.
The DSLR doesn't. For that reason alone, I'd say go ahead and buy the S3 -
its manual functions do well to prepare you for the next step, if you're
not
prepared to leapfrog to the DSLR...

dwight

Thanks Guys!!! A DSLR is still too bulky and more than i need right now.
The
S3 IS feels good and solid, and I do not want a pocket sized either, too
limited IMHO.

http://tfrog93.googlepages.com/sample2 (Don't forget the optional lens
hood.)

dwight

Old January 31st 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , GMAN
wrote:

Is the Canon S3 IS still a decent choice for someone not yet ready for a DSLR
and yet more advanced than the average joe 6pack user?

My girlfriend has an S2 IS and I've been quite impressed with it. The
IS is great and the movies are pretty impressive. I can do without
EVFs, but that's just me.