HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old December 22nd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bob Hickey

Default End of an Era

"Pudentame" wrote in message
OTOH, my own experience indicates a smaller, more nimble vehicle allows
the driver avoid accidents he might not be able to avoid in a larger,
heavier, less maneuverable automobile. That's the

whole problem right there. Avoid, nimble, maneuverable? That's a joke,
right? I'd be happy to see "awake". I'd be happy to see "off the phone" I'd
be happy to see "make-up already done"..The limit of most peoples driving
knowledge is that soon after an accident, something will blow up right in
their face to save them. Mostly, after the crumple zone is done crumpling;
said air bag is much closer to the victim. Bob Hickey

Old December 22nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
parv

in message ,
wrote Graham Fountain ...

with the new company having approximately 20x the capitalisation
of Pentax, I think the chances of them progressing more rapidly
are significantly higher. There is nothing wrong with Hoya/Tokina
optics, and now they have a camera system to match their stuff to.
With more money to throw around for things like R&D, marketing,
and quite possibly some new high end gear, the brand can only
improve. Before you jump ship, just remember that Canon don't have
approx 70% market share (in Australia at least, not sure about
rest of the world) because they are any better than the
competition, it's simply because they have been marketed better.

Damn, that reminds me the discussion before Konica-Minolta merge
with Sony.

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old December 22nd 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

jeremy wrote:
Well, many of us sensed that it was coming.

Pentax had been a longtime user of Hoya optical glass, but to see Hoya
swallow Pentax us is disconcerting.

A group of protestors led by Brittany Spears and Pamela Anderson are
protesting the new name of the corporation .... HoTax.

Old December 22nd 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
W Paul Mills

Old December 22nd 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
TW

I welcome the change if it means that the long term viability of the K-mount
is secure. I have a substantial investment in K-mount lenses. Unlike Minolta
and later KM, Pentax has demonstrated clearly that it is an innovative
company and (finally) has the ability to adapt to the changing market
quicker than competition with the recent release of K100 and K10 cameras.
What this does is to make Pentax attractive to potential buyers. This is not
an uncommon tactics when a company realized that it might not be able to
raise enough fund to finance long term R&D. There is a no down side since
there will be significant return if the products do sell well. There is no
reason to hold onto a name. A name is only a name. What is important, to me
anyway, is the viability of a set of tools that allows me to pursue
photography. BTW, I started using a Pentax MX in 1979 and since bought and
sold a P30, 5n, *ist. I am now using a DS and a K10D.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Graham Fountain

J. Clarke wrote:
There's also the little matter that they have a camera and lens for just
about any niche you can imagine, while the competition doesn't.

Really? - So Canon would have a fisheye that can be used on the 400D/30D
and their predecessors if they have a lens for every niche right? Oh
that's right they don't. Nikon and Pentax both have fisheyes for their
digitals.
Canon would have a number of zooms beyond 300mm wouldn't they? Well
actually they only have 1, the 100-400L, while Nikon and Pentax have a
number of zooms extending out to 600mm.
I'm guessing then that Canon would have a "travel" type lens, such as a
28-300, very handy lenses when you want to travel light. Oops, nothing
there either.
Sorry, what were you saying?

Old December 22nd 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:10:38 +1000, Graham Fountain wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
There's also the little matter that they have a camera and lens for just
about any niche you can imagine, while the competition doesn't.

Sorry, what were you saying?

I think he was saying _Pentax_ had more niche products, and the
two of you are in violent agreement. In addition to the lenses
you mention, Pentax also has two medium format systems, and had
even dabbled in such stuff as a 110 SLR. (I own both Pentax 645
and 110 systems).

In 35mm, though, Pentax has been an "also ran" since at least
the start of the autofocus era, and hasn't been 1st or 2nd in
sales since before the days of Canon's AE-1. As others pointed
out, they have been strapped for capital for quite a while, and
been unable to deliver promised products like the 645D.

I find their demise as an independent company regrettable, but
also inevitable.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Old December 22nd 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote:
There's also the little matter that they have a camera and lens for just
about any niche you can imagine, while the competition doesn't.

Really? - So Canon would have a fisheye that can be used on the 400D/30D
and their predecessors if they have a lens for every niche right? Oh
that's right they don't. Nikon and Pentax both have fisheyes for their
digitals.
Canon would have a number of zooms beyond 300mm wouldn't they? Well
actually they only have 1, the 100-400L, while Nikon and Pentax have a
number of zooms extending out to 600mm.
I'm guessing then that Canon would have a "travel" type lens, such as a
28-300, very handy lenses when you want to travel light. Oops, nothing
there either.
Sorry, what were you saying?

What part of "just about" are you having trouble with?

Asperger's? High function autism?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 22nd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"W Paul Mills" wrote in message

The reason Pentax could not do this is the lack of capital. So this
could change now for the better. Then again, depends on the direction
the merged company takes. They may abandon the camera market, and may
not. Only time will tell.

I can't think offhand of any major company that was helped in its financial
woes by being merged into a bigger, better-capitalized company. Typically,
the stronger company buys up the weaker one's resources, customers and
assets at pennies on the dollar and then sells off or shuts down the parts
that do not fit with the stronger company's vision.

What if Hoya were to rebadge their Tokina lenses as "Pentax" and then sell
off the camera unit to Samsung? Perhaps even allow Samsung to use the
Pentax name for a period of time, and then to gradually wean customers over
to the Samsung name, while Tokina lenses were now selling more briskly under
the Pentax brand? That is only one possible scenario.

Pentax's reputation was built by their lenses, not their camera bodies.
Their last noteworthy camera was the LX, and they killed it off, rather than
improve it like Nikon did with their F series. Even if Pentax were to
release a new super "professional" camera model right now, who would buy it?
Professionals have migrated to digital, and those that require a top-notch
film camera would buy the Nikon F6.

Pentax withdrew from the competition years ago, and now that contest is over
and they can't come back. They have discovered, as did Minolta, Bronica,
Contax and Olympus have, that their prior dominance in the film domain was
no guarantee of success in digital--and the buyers are virtually all buying
digital.

I am saddened to see Pentax's demise. All of my film cameras are Pentaxes,
as are all of my lenses, but there is no hope of their being around to
supply me with future photo gear. If the rest of their customer base
becomes of a like mind, they will disappear from the market.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"TW" wrote in message
I welcome the change if it means that the long term viability of the
K-mount is secure.

As I understand it, Pentax has not charged royalties to other manufacturers
that incorporated the K-mount, so that is not a factor.

The mount would have little value to an independent manufacturer unless
there was a major player, like Pentax, serving to anchor it. And, there are
few independent brands out there. Vivitar, Chinon, not exactly inspiring.

All the more reason for buyers to stick with the big brands in the hope that
their investments won't go down the drain. When I eventually buy into a
DSLR system, it is going to be Nikon. I had stated previously that I would
not even consider Pentax--and this from someone that has shot nothing BUT
Pentax film cameras and lenses for nearly 35 years.