Nikon is quitting LF lenses

Old January 12th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Nikon is quitting LF lenses

"Philip Homburg" wrote in message
.phicoh.net...
In article ,
Matt Clara wrote:
Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

Does that really change anything? For years, Nikon had the F5/F100 for
professionals, various not very desirable amateur bodies and the FM2/FM3a.

The F6 sort of does everything the F5/F100 did (except interchangable
viewfinders, and far fewer foucsing screens). There is no point in buying
a rather undesirable amateur body. So the big news is that Nikon stops
selling their last (serious) completely manual focus body.

I wonder what in 10 or 20 years time will harder to get, 35mm film or a
working 2nd hand Nikon body.

What you talkin' 'bout, Phil? You have several working Nikon cameras older
than that, as do I. 20 years from now I expect the F6's to still be going
strong, and the FM3a's and many more.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:

I see
they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

Nikon have never manufactured the FM10.

As I understand it, it's crap from Cosina (not that all products from Cosina
are crap, but I hear the FM10 is).

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:
: "rafe b" wrote in message
: t...
:
: "Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
: ...
: Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
: remaining stock, and that's the end.
:
:
: And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.
:
:

: Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
: years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
: they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

While Nikon was very popular in the 35mm market it was the Pentax

Spotmatic and
the Argus brick that put 35mm on the map.

The Nikon F revolutionized the PJ industry, and the PJ industry is what put
35mm on the map.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article , Matt Clara
wrote:

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:
: "rafe b" wrote in message
: t...
:
: "Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
: ...
: Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
: remaining stock, and that's the end.
:
:
: And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.
:
:

: Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
: years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
: they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

While Nikon was very popular in the 35mm market it was the Pentax

Spotmatic and
the Argus brick that put 35mm on the map.

The Nikon F revolutionized the PJ industry, and the PJ industry is what put
35mm on the map.

Leica, old chum. Leica!
Old January 12th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"raoul" wrote in message
In article , Matt Clara
wrote:

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:
: "rafe b" wrote in message
: t...
:
[...]

Leica is a footnote.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message

Nikon have never manufactured the FM10.

ZING! Wow, that one's gonna leave a mark!

Old January 12th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
Matt Clara wrote:
What you talkin' 'bout, Phil? You have several working Nikon cameras older
than that, as do I. 20 years from now I expect the F6's to still be going
strong, and the FM3a's and many more.

I am basically saying that nothing much happened. Now that professionals are
no long buying huge numbers of new 35mm cameras, there are simply enough
35mm cameras in existance for everybody who wants one.

What worries me much more is that it looks like the production of CRTs will
be over soon. Hopefully, the high end flatpanels are really a suitable
replacement.

Old January 12th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Chris Sprague" wrote in message
oups.com...

Plasticy body, for sure, but feature-wise it wasn't lacking that much
compared to the F100.

All those friggin "features" drive me crazy. The F ruled. When the body
went South, you could keep the back, prism, screen and throw it away for a
replacement.

Old January 12th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Matt Clara" wrote in message

Leica is a footnote.

Bitter, bitter Matt Clara
Couldn't afford the Camera

.... refrain

Old January 12th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:33:20 GMT, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

What you talkin' 'bout, Phil? You have several working Nikon cameras older
than that, as do I. 20 years from now I expect the F6's to still be going
strong, and the FM3a's and many more.

Nothing is forever. Even Nikons die.

My original FE gave me 20+ years of service
but wasn't worth fixing after that.

The FE that I currently own most likely sat
idle or in a box for its first 20 years, so it's
still "young."

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com