Nikon is quitting LF lenses

Old January 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Nikon is quitting LF lenses

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
remaining stock, and that's the end.

And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old January 12th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
: Lorem Ipsum wrote:

: Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses.

: Says who?

Nikon,

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201
--

-------------------
Old January 12th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"rafe b" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

rafe b wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
remaining
stock, and that's the end.

I cannot imagine they were ever making large volumes anyway...

Quantity != quality.

You cannot make one lens a year...

Then I'm glad I got mine when I did. It's
the nicest lens I own, bar none. Even if
it is only f/8.

A real jewel.

Is that your 90mm lens? I picked up a 90mm 6.8 grandagon, and it appears to
be fairly sharp.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Ralf R. Radermacher" wrote in message
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses.

Says who?

Says Nikon, Japan.

Old January 12th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"rafe b" wrote in message
t...

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
remaining stock, and that's the end.

And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.

Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 12th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:12:04 GMT, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

"rafe b" wrote in message

Then I'm glad I got mine when I did. It's
the nicest lens I own, bar none. Even if
it is only f/8.

A real jewel.

Is that your 90mm lens? I picked up a 90mm 6.8 grandagon, and it appears to
be fairly sharp.

Yep. It's on Kerry Thalmann's "future classics" list,

I bought it on that recommendation alone, and for
a while it was the only LF lens I owned.

I hear tell it's a biogon design. I'm not even sure
what that means or implies, though I gather it's
a good thing.

And if I had a better LF scanner, it would be even
more of a good thing. Sad to think of all that precious
Nikon MTF going down the Epson drain.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 12th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
Matt Clara wrote:
Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

Does that really change anything? For years, Nikon had the F5/F100 for
professionals, various not very desirable amateur bodies and the FM2/FM3a.

The F6 sort of does everything the F5/F100 did (except interchangable
viewfinders, and far fewer foucsing screens). There is no point in buying
a rather undesirable amateur body. So the big news is that Nikon stops
selling their last (serious) completely manual focus body.

I wonder what in 10 or 20 years time will harder to get, 35mm film or a
working 2nd hand Nikon body.

Old January 12th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Matt Clara wrote:
: "rafe b" wrote in message
: t...
:
: "Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
: ...
: Nikon, Inc. is ceasing production of LF lenses. They will sell the
: remaining stock, and that's the end.
:
:
: And all film camera bodies -- far more significant, really.
:
:

: Yeah, that's the death knell. Sure, 35mm equipment will be around for
: years, and the film, too, but Nikon really made 35mm what it is. I see
: they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

While Nikon was very popular in the 35mm market it was the Pentax Spotmatic and
the Argus brick that put 35mm on the map.

--

-------------------
Old January 12th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Matt Clara wrote:

I see
they'll continue to manufacture the F6 for a time, and the FM10 (?).

Nikon have never manufactured the FM10.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old January 12th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I actually rather liked my Nikon N80. I still use it as my LF light
meter, actually.

Plasticy body, for sure, but feature-wise it wasn't lacking that much
compared to the F100.

- Chris