What film for landscape and why?

Old October 26th 05, 02:52 PM
Giordy

Default What film for landscape and why?

Hi all,

I have been researching the available film types on 4x5 for quickload
and readyload holders. I am a beginner so I don't know a lot about film
types, but I understand that most landscape photographers prefer Fuji
Velvia 50 or 100.

What is your favorite film for landscapes, and why?

Thanks
Giordano

Old October 26th 05, 03:34 PM
Frank Pittel

Giordy wrote:
: Hi all,

: I have been researching the available film types on 4x5 for quickload
: and readyload holders. I am a beginner so I don't know a lot about film
: types, but I understand that most landscape photographers prefer Fuji
: Velvia 50 or 100.

: What is your favorite film for landscapes, and why?

As most people here know I mostly shot landscapes. For B&W (which accounts
for better then 90% of what I shoot) I use Tmax-100 although I'm considering
switching to Efke, For transparencies I use Kodak's 100vs. I like the saturated
colors of 100vs but find velvia's colors saturated to the point of being cartoonish.
For C41 I use Fuji's NPS. I stopped using Kodak's c41 when they discontinued thier
Royal Gold and like the results I get from NPS.

--

-------------------
Old October 26th 05, 03:39 PM
Matt Clara

"Giordy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have been researching the available film types on 4x5 for quickload
and readyload holders. I am a beginner so I don't know a lot about film
types, but I understand that most landscape photographers prefer Fuji
Velvia 50 or 100.

What is your favorite film for landscapes, and why?

Thanks
Giordano

Slide = Fuji Velvia : love those bright colors, very little grain, and
resolution is good enough for my purposes.
C41 = Fuji Reala : again, great, vibrant colors, very little grain, and this
time with excellent resolution--unfortunately not available in sizes larger
than 120.
B&W = Ilford Delta 100 : very sharp, great tonal differentiation, but not
good for high contrast scenes and prone to development problems if
everything isn't "just so".

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old October 26th 05, 09:35 PM
Mark McGilvray

"Giordy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have been researching the available film types on 4x5 for quickload
and readyload holders. I am a beginner so I don't know a lot about film
types, but I understand that most landscape photographers prefer Fuji
Velvia 50 or 100.

What is your favorite film for landscapes, and why?

Thanks
Giordano

I shoot only color and have pretty much standardized on Kodak E100G for two
reasons: first, the color fidelity is excellent; and, second, I scan all my
transparencies for digital output after work in photoshop and the film is
extremely fine grained. Adding color saturation to a high quality scan in
Photoshop is a snap - desaturation generally gives poor results. I have not
shot Velvia 100 or Kodak E100VS (a situation I intend to remedy shortly), so
all I can say here is shoot them and see what you think. I noticed a poster
in another thread says Velvia 100 should be shot at IS0 80 - I would
dedifitely test that.

I shot lots of landscapes with Velvia 50 that turned out well, but some were
"off" because ISO 50 here is best shot at ISO 40. Velvia's color fidelity in
the deep red to purple spectrum is deploreable. The film is VERY contrasty
and I noticed horrible results at high altitude with landscape shots of
distant mountains. I picked up several images that were high contrast, lost
much shadow detail, and had a blue-green-grayish color cast that looked
awful. BTW I used a good local lab, film from a reliable vendor, and B+W
filters as appropriate. The phenomenon regretably proved repeatable. Shots
of near objects under the same conditions were fine. It seems to be more
than an air quality issue.

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Cheesehead

I've been using Delta 100 for 4x5 b&w shooting and find that the
contrast
is just fine if I develop in the Jobo. But when I use the Yankee tank
it
tends to look more like a common Plus-X result. That is, not quite
enough contrast.
(HC-110(b) is my standard developer.)

This coming or perhaps next weekend I'm doing some similar testing with
Fuji Acros 4x5.

Old October 28th 05, 05:19 PM
Mark Westling

Default What film for landscape and why? - Acros

Does anyone know where I can get some Fuji Acros in regular sheet packages.
I don't want QuickLoads.

Nothing found at B&H, Badger, etc.

Thanks,
Mark

oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 05:33 PM
Gregory Blank

Fuji does not directly market cut sheets of Acros
in the US, one reason I implored them to do so when
I reviewed the Film for View Camera Magazine.
But I guess they had/have other plans than to make more
money producing the product.

Its a great film Btw.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 28th 05, 06:04 PM
Mark Westling

It's available direct from Japan via:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/inde...2b0b 44c88928

But it's pricey, about $1 a sheet...

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old October 28th 05, 06:07 PM
Mark Westling

Actually now that I checked, $1 a sheet is about the same price as 4x5 T-Max
100 from B&H!

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old October 28th 05, 06:54 PM
Gregory Blank

In article YUs8f.60748$WR2.8289@fed1read03,
"Mark Westling" wrote:

Actually now that I checked, $1 a sheet is about the same price as 4x5 T-Max
100 from B&H!

"Mark Westling" wrote in message
It's available direct from Japan via:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/inde...10dffac342dc5d
cc2b0b44c88928

But it's pricey, about $1 a sheet...

But then you pay shipping and there is no guarantee the film won't be X
rayed in customs. If you go through the regular channels at least there
is that guarantee. To me although I like the film its not good enough to
risk when as good products are easily available without hassle and
paying for the shipping.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918