Market for LF gear?

Old April 1st 05, 01:55 PM
jjs

"rafe bustin" wrote in message

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in
active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

How many square meters of dollars are you willing to spend to know the
answer, Rafe?

Old April 1st 05, 03:00 PM
Nick Zentena

rafe bustin wrote:

So what are you saying?

Imaging in general down, digital down,
analog down, or both?

Or economy down, across the board?

I notice you didn't answer my question
at all. Cmon, man, take a swag...

I'm saying NO ONE is going to create affordable LF digital. The only
reason we have affordable LF is because we've got 100+ years of free R&D to
live off. If you want LF digital tape 10 cell phones to your camera.

Nick
Old April 1st 05, 03:13 PM
rafe bustin

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:55:17 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
.. .

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in
active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

How many square meters of dollars are you willing to spend to know the
answer, Rafe?

Fair question. Right now, none.

Interesting how not one reply on this
thread has yet to respond with the
requested guess.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 1st 05, 03:53 PM
jjs

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:55:17 -0600, "jjs" wrote:
How many square meters of dollars are you willing to spend to know the
answer, Rafe?

Fair question. Right now, none.

Perhaps we can effectively narrow the scope of the question and find out how
much LF film is sold by each manufacturer. That answer might satisfy the
requisite since we really cannot know how much of the existing LF gear is
actually used.

Interesting how not one reply on this
thread has yet to respond with the
requested guess.

Agreed. Given the number of impressionistic know-it-alls, you would think
someone would post a fast figure. Okay, I will start: a bazillion LF cameras
go click every day. 1000 of them are loaded with film. 50 of the films are
properly exposed. 5 of them are measured under densitometers by people
seekinig the Zone System magic then discarded, 2 of them make a worthwhile
picture. 1 of the negatives is put in a shoebox forever. The remaining
single picture is disrespected by 80% of the viewers (unless it is posted to
that den of sycophants, usefilm.com.)

Watch the posts pile in because it is easier to criticize nonsense than to
post real information.

Old April 1st 05, 04:43 PM
No One

Better yet, cites?

I mean, what new and exciting products
await us in the LF world?

Me, I'd like to see good affordable
scanners and scanning backs.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

The new Linhof is nice. And coupled with a multi-shot Imacon back it is
pretty much up there in the 8x10 chrome realm. And, cost wise - is about as
much as an 8x10 was 25 years ago.

Old April 1st 05, 09:55 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/1/2005 6:00 AM Nick Zentena spake thus:

... If you want LF digital tape 10 cell phones to your camera.

Now *there's* an idea. Think someone might come up with a Photoshop plugin to
handle stitching the little teeny-tiny images together? I can see it now:
"Panoramic Pictures with your Nokia".

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

Old April 1st 05, 10:38 PM
Gregory Blank

rafe bustin wrote:

I take it the proper answer is, oh, maybe
a few dozen?

I had thirty people on my LF group just in Maryland, before discontinuing
it, the main problem I wasn't available on Saturdays.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 1st 05, 10:44 PM
Gregory Blank

rafe bustin wrote:

Fair question. Right now, none.

Interesting how not one reply on this
thread has yet to respond with the
requested guess.

I would say somewhere above 1,500.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918