Market for LF gear?

Old April 1st 05, 02:35 AM

Old April 1st 05, 02:57 AM

active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

Better yet, cites?

I mean, what new and exciting products
await us in the LF world?

Me, I'd like to see good affordable
scanners and scanning backs.

Lets see.

This week Konica Minolta warned they'll miss profit forcasts. Blaming poor
digital sales and collapsing prices. They pulled most of thier staff off
digital camera development.

Last week Epson warned. Claiming nobody is buying ink for those
printers they sell.

Also last week Sanyo warned. Blaming weak digital prices. Weak
sales.

That's just since March 23. Would you develop digital products for
the LF market?

Nick
Old April 1st 05, 02:57 AM
Nick Zentena

rafe bustin wrote:

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in

Old April 1st 05, 04:01 AM
Gregory Blank

rafe bustin wrote:

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in
active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

Better yet, cites?

I mean, what new and exciting products
await us in the LF world?

Me, I'd like to see good affordable
scanners and scanning backs.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

I suspect vast majority of Fine Art LF Photographers
want nothing to to do with this crap. Its only the
the studios, and architectural photographers that want
scanning backs for that matter can afford them. Most art photographers
are actually still using a darkroom and just printing B&W. I know I only
want to shoot film in when I shoot LF.

New affordable Scanners are great but, its just one small portion
of the stuff I need, I don't get enthralled with new stuff any more.

There are two types of LF photographers those that buy the camera
and learn its work therefore giving it up for simpler systems and those
who become serious about the craft of photography and continue to do it
never the less, since I have been shooting 4x5 since 1986 I guess I
qualify for the latter.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 1st 05, 04:12 AM
rafe bustin

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:57:47 -0500, Nick Zentena
wrote:

rafe bustin wrote:

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in
active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

Better yet, cites?

I mean, what new and exciting products
await us in the LF world?

Me, I'd like to see good affordable
scanners and scanning backs.

Lets see.

This week Konica Minolta warned they'll miss profit forcasts. Blaming poor
digital sales and collapsing prices. They pulled most of thier staff off
digital camera development.

Last week Epson warned. Claiming nobody is buying ink for those
printers they sell.

Also last week Sanyo warned. Blaming weak digital prices. Weak
sales.

That's just since March 23. Would you develop digital products for
the LF market?

So what are you saying?

Imaging in general down, digital down,
analog down, or both?

Or economy down, across the board?

I notice you didn't answer my question
at all. Cmon, man, take a swag...

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 1st 05, 04:43 AM
pgg

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:12:22 -0500, rafe bustin wrote:

So what are you saying?

Imaging in general down, digital down,
analog down, or both?

No, too many people trying to play ball. Consolidation will occur.

Old April 1st 05, 04:54 AM
rafe bustin

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:01:14 GMT, Gregory Blank
wrote:

I suspect vast majority of Fine Art LF Photographers
want nothing to to do with this crap. Its only the
the studios, and architectural photographers that want
scanning backs for that matter can afford them. Most art photographers
are actually still using a darkroom and just printing B&W. I know I only
want to shoot film in when I shoot LF.

New affordable Scanners are great but, its just one small portion
of the stuff I need, I don't get enthralled with new stuff any more.

There are two types of LF photographers those that buy the camera
and learn its work therefore giving it up for simpler systems and those
who become serious about the craft of photography and continue to do it
never the less, since I have been shooting 4x5 since 1986 I guess I
qualify for the latter.

Interesting rant, though nobody yet has
begun to answer my question.

I take it the proper answer is, oh, maybe
a few dozen?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 1st 05, 05:13 AM
rafe bustin

wrote:

There are two types of LF photographers those that buy the camera
and learn its work therefore giving it up for simpler systems and those
who become serious about the craft of photography and continue to do it
never the less, since I have been shooting 4x5 since 1986 I guess I
qualify for the latter.

Some dream of the analog past, I dream of
the digital future.

So -- what if you had a cheap digital back,
let's say a scanning back... 300 Mpixels...
far cheaper and lighter and more compact
that what's available now.

I'd happily give up film, at that point.
90% of the game is unchanged, all that's
changed is the media used to capture the
image. Same movements. Same lighting.
Same rules of composition. Scheimpflug
has not been repealed.

Exposure times could be a bear grin.