Sheet film developing

Old April 12th 04, 11:20 PM
Serge Korolev

Default Sheet film developing

Hello,

I've just started developing my first 4x5's in a Jobo 2523 tank that
suits a single spiral both of which I inherited from a previous owner
of my CPE2 machine.
Since large format photography requires more set up time and
concentration I am often finding myself in a position when I need to
develop one or two sheets of film only.
At the moment, I am mostly shooting positives and do not like the
idea of throwing away 270ml of the chemistry (minimum filling value
recommended by Jobo for this tank) each time I need to develop a
single sheet. I've been thinking to break the rule and try to fill the
tank with a smaller amount of solution at the time when I load a
couple of film sheets close to the tank's outer side but I am affraid
that I do not have much knowledge of either what amount would be
satisfactory or if this is a right thing to do at all.
Hope somebody would give me an advise or redirect to some Internet
sources that would help.

Thanks,

Serge
Old April 14th 04, 10:06 PM
Norman Worth

I use a Bessler Unidrum and Uniroller when I need to process one or two
sheets of film at a time. It works great with the usual developers, but I
understand that Pyro and some other oxidation prone developers may have
problems. The 8X10 Unidrum and Uniroller are available frequently on ebay.
If you can't find a motorized roller, you can just roll the drum along a
bench from hand to hand. The really cheap alternative is to use trays,
adjusting the developing time accordingly. The only real downside is the
amount of time you have to spend in the dark.

Old April 14th 04, 10:50 PM
Magdalena W.

Uzytkownik "Mark in Maine"
wrote:

Serge - There are a couple of ways that you can look at this. One is
that your time is what is valuable, the cost of the film and
processing chemicals pales in comparison to everything else, so don't
worry about the 270ml going down the drain.

Mark, perhaps this attitude works in developed capitalist economies, but we
in Central Europe prefer to save our pennies wherever and whenever we can

regards,
Magdalena

Old April 14th 04, 11:06 PM
Nick Zentena

Magdalena W. wrote:

Uzytkownik "Mark in Maine"
wrote:

Serge - There are a couple of ways that you can look at this. One is
that your time is what is valuable, the cost of the film and
processing chemicals pales in comparison to everything else, so don't
worry about the 270ml going down the drain.

Mark, perhaps this attitude works in developed capitalist economies, but we
in Central Europe prefer to save our pennies wherever and whenever we can

Throwing out film to save a little chemicals is penny wise pound
foolish-)). Best thing is to wait until the tank is full. Nice thing about
the Jobo tanks is you could put a roll of 35mm or 120mm into the tank if it
fits.

Nick
Old April 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Mark in Maine

Mark, perhaps this attitude works in developed capitalist economies, but we
in Central Europe prefer to save our pennies wherever and whenever we can

regards,
Magdalena

Magdalena

Serge stated that he was using a Jobo processor - I would expect that
he could afford a lot of chemicals for the cost of his processor, but
I do apologize for my bourgois view of the world.

To atone, I offer the thought that the BTZS tubes that I use for
processing are probably the least expensive method for developing film
- they can be made from inexpensive PVC plumbing pipe, and are very
efficient in their use of chemicals.

Mark

Old April 15th 04, 03:13 PM
JS2RT

they can be made from inexpensive PVC plumbing pipe

Some of the PVC pipes are white. These are not opaque and using them could fog
your film. Better materials are either the black ABS pipe or the gray Schedule
40 PVC pipe. I have made several from ABS for about $5.00 each and they work
quite well. I have found that it helps to bevel the pipe where you insert the
film and to sand the interior of that pipe with 400 or 600 grit wet-dry
sandpaper. The beveling makes sliding the film into the tube easier. If you
leave about 1/16" of film sticking out of the tube it is much easier to find
the corner and remove the film from the tube.

Jim Stewart
Old April 15th 04, 09:28 PM
Serge Korolev

Mark in Maine wrote:
Mark, perhaps this attitude works in developed capitalist economies,
but we in Central Europe prefer to save our pennies wherever and
whenever we can

Serge stated that he was using a Jobo processor - I would expect that
he could afford a lot of chemicals for the cost of his processor, but
I do apologize for my bourgois view of the world.

To atone, I offer the thought that the BTZS tubes that I use for
processing are probably the least expensive method for developing film
- they can be made from inexpensive PVC plumbing pipe, and are very
efficient in their use of chemicals.

Well, I am sorry for not being very clear asking initial question. I
do not really have to tight my belt when ordering extra chemistry
though I used to order an extra E6 5 liters kit every three months and
it used to be a norm for a while. I'd say that, apart from the better
result consistency (some in this newsgroup would say that the labs are
unbeatable in the matter but then well, we're just living in the
different worlds), there is actually an economical reason to justify
home development.
Say, I am mixing 250ml of solution to develop a couple of 135 or 120
films in a small 2500 series tank and that allows me develop at least
40 films with a 45/50 euro kit which makes it a bit over of 1 euro per
roll. The development at a "pro" lab in my town is 3.20/3.40 euro per
roll (I put "pro" word in quotes since the only time when I gave the
film to such lab during the last six months they managed to jam the
first three frames of a 120 roll somehow) and so I believe that my 350
euro's used Jobo is already paid off.
The original question had raised in my mind merely because I just
managed to finish a liter of solution in a week to develop something
like 8 sheets and, since I already got used to the thought of the hand
developing being so economical, I was curious if I might be doing
something wrong.

Thanks anyway for you leading me to the BTZS tubes! I don't think it
would beat Jobo in development of transparencies but I think it would
make more sense to try it with B&W. As for E6, I am a bit lazy to
change a number of solutions in the darkness and would still prefer to
raise the lift

Serge
Brescia, Italy
Old April 15th 04, 10:12 PM
Serge Korolev

Mark in Maine wrote:
One other short comment. Usually, for LF photography, once I get the
camera setup and the exosure calculated, I will do two exposures, just
in case I have a bad case of dust or scratches on the negative -
because of this, I rarely have one sheet to develop.

Interesting, according to what I could read on the LF photography
web sites, the suggestion to make a second exposure was given to be
used in case when you have already developed the first sheet and it
demonstrates some imperfectness in either scratches/dust specs or
developing time values which might be corrected by developing a spare
sheet.
I believe I would also buy a nice book on the LF photography
techniques, since coming straight into this world after compact and
medium format SRLs, basically similar to each other, raises quite a
number of questions even if did have a thought that the only
difference is a negative size and the perspective control granted. The
latest was the main reason to go LF - I just started to love shift and
tilt movements, even those limited of Graplex Crown camera...

Serge
Old April 16th 04, 08:02 AM
Dan Quinn

(Serge Korolev) wrote

Hello,
Since large format photography requires more set up time and
concentration I am often finding myself in a position when I need to
develop one or two sheets of film only.
Hope somebody would give me an advise or redirect to some Internet
sources that would help.

Serge

I'm shooting 120 and use a reel and tank. If I were back at sheet
film I'd likely use a hanger and tank. I have used trays with which
the amount of fluid may be kept quite low. Try 120 ml in a small
tray if one-shot is your method. Dan