"Aristostigmat" ???

Old March 22nd 04, 01:04 PM
AArDvarK

Default "Aristostigmat" ???

My neurotic block of text:

I have taken a keen interest in classic lenses like
some of you might be into. I am very interested
in studying on these jewels so I can learn what is
worth buying at all price levels. i.e. Charles P.
Farmer once told me years ago, in person, that
some of the old wollesaks are very nice and sharp,
and yet generaly they sell at lower prices as much
as I have seen online, and I don't know which
ones they are. What I need are resources online,
an online museum of sorts or an enthusiast's site
that will explain all these kinds of things about
old lenses ... I can imagine it is like a cult interest
that exudes the essence of glass quality and
formula engineering, quality of the grind and
everything else, no matter the country is, they
were made in (mostly Germany I think ...). These
kinds of sites seem to elude any search term I
can come-up with. Like ... where can I learn
exactly what "Aristostigmat" means ... ???

Thanks all,
Alex

Old March 22nd 04, 01:25 PM
Jean-David Beyer

AArDvarK wrote:
[...]

Meyer Gorlitz Aristostigmat was a dialyte; i.e., 2 air-spaced elements
on each side of the diaphragm. I have a 120mm version of this in an old
Compur rim-set shutter. Even the shutter has a serial number that is not
the same as the lens (because lens and shutter were manufactured by
different manufacturers).

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 08:20:00 up 9 days, 10:30, 3 users, load average: 4.05, 4.05, 4.07

Old March 22nd 04, 11:48 PM
Dan Fromm

Jean-David Beyer wrote in message ...
AArDvarK wrote:
[...]

Not a dialyte, a double gauss wide angle. The difference is that the
dialyte's inner elements are concave on both sides, the double gauss'
inner elements have convex outer surfaces. Think Wide Field Ektar,
65/6.8 and 90/6.8 Raptars, ...
Old March 23rd 04, 03:04 AM
Jean-David Beyer

AArDvarK wrote:

[...]

My f/6.8 120mm Aristostigmat Meyer Gorlitz's inner element is concave on
the side facing the diaphragm and convex facing the outer element.
Overall, it is thinner in the middle than at the edge so by itself it is
diverging.

Its outer element is convex facing out of the lens, and very slightly
concave facing the inner element and the diaphragm.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 22:00:00 up 10 days, 10 min, 3 users, load average: 4.05, 4.09, 4.00

Old March 23rd 04, 12:32 PM
Dan Fromm

AArDvarK wrote:

[...]

Yeah. That's a double gauss, not a dialyte.

FWIW, the Vade Mecum says "Aristostigmat became one of the most valued
Meyer trade names, normally used for 4-glass Gauss lenses with good
covering power. But note that the layout did vary though it is usually
safe to expect a 4-glass
Gauss design in later years."

Cheers,

Dan
Old March 24th 04, 03:02 AM
Richard Knoppow

--
.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User

85642.
/V\ Registered Machine

241939.
^^-^^ 22:00:00 up 10 days, 10 min, 3 users, load

average: 4.05, 4.09, 4.00

There may be variations of the lenses sold under this
name. The original Aristostigmat was a double Gauss lens
i.e., all surfaces concave toward the stop. However, later
lenses of this type, like the Kodak Wide Field Ektar, are
not entirely symmetrical and I suspect your lens may be one
of these variations.
In general, the type has wide coverage at the price of
some oblique spherical aberration.
A great many lenses of this general type have been made
under many names.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 24th 04, 05:55 AM
AArDvarK

Mr. Knoppow, what do you think of the book
"A lens collector's vade mecum" ? at this site:
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/ any comments
on it?

Alex

Old March 31st 04, 05:34 AM
Bob Monaghan

try http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/lenstype.html - has aristostigmat listed,
along with scores of other lenses by type, mfger, and construction
sortings, plus the spreadsheet for your own sorting efforts, plus a
listing of tessar lenses by mfger/names with the better examples
highlighted...

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old March 31st 04, 06:56 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/30/2004 8:34 PM Bob Monaghan spake thus:

try http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/lenstype.html - has aristostigmat listed,
along with scores of other lenses by type, mfger, and construction
sortings, plus the spreadsheet for your own sorting efforts, plus a
listing of tessar lenses by mfger/names with the better examples
highlighted...

Bob--good resource, but you ought to know that there's at least on glaring
error in it (repeated, no less). You have the Kodak Ektar listed as a tripet
while it is, in fact, a tessar (as stated on your other page,
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/ektar.html).

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)