Getting multiple cameras

Old December 20th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

Default Getting multiple cameras

wrote in message
Christmas is coming, and there'll be multiple cameras in the house.
I'd like to keep all of the images nicely ordered though.

For the last few years I've used a Nikon Coolpix 2100 with Nikon's
Image Transfer and View software. I don't care much for the Nikon
View software, but the Image Transfer software is great. Simply plug
the camera in (as a PTP camera), up pops the dialogue box and off it
goes. I've set it to create a folder automatically in format yyyymmdd
(3.g. 20081219 for today) and then it renames each photo from
DSCNXXXX.jpg to "Photo 2008-12-19 15-43-58.jpg" so that they are
correctly ordered in a simple Windows file manager. It then deletes
the files from the camera.

I like that setup as it means I can work with the photos at the
filename level just as easily as through some sort of gui tool.

Is there any generic software around which will achieve the same when
I move to the new camera combo of a Fuji S5800 and a Samsung cheap
point and shoot. Ideally I'd like every camera to use the same store
so that I know they are being nicely filed etc.

Any help gratefully received!

Matt

Time synchronization will be fun. What will happen if 2 cameras take a shot
at the same time?

Old December 21st 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

wrote:
On Dec 20, 12:24 am, "N" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Unlikely (to the second). But in any event, each transfer would
create a folder. Each subsequent transfer on the same day creates a
folder called YYYYMMDD_01 etc, so no possibility of duplication.

Just had a quick play with Nikon Image Transfer, and it looks like it
will cope with alternative devices, so I'll see how I go.

Surprised no-one has a similar issue / solution though.

Matt

What I do is create a folder for each day we use cameras.

I have a main file 2008 then under that I have several categories, one
being 2008 Originals, then under that I have the individual files, such
as 1221 D70 Name for Dec. 21 D70 camera and name has who uses that
camera, under that is each photo and I rename them to be 2008 1221 D70
Name Sequence number, Sequence number is the number that camera assigns.

2008
2008 Originals
1221 D70 Name
2008 1221 D70 Name 2345
2008 1221 D70 Name 2346
1221 D300 Name
2008 1221 D300 Name 6528
2008 1221 D300 Name 6529

This way, there are no duplications, these files are never modified,
when I edit one, I put 'edited' tacked onto the end of the file name.
Then I delete what I want, and move the edited files to another folder
that hold finished photos for the whole year.

--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com