I think we should leave this group for P&S's

Old December 18th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Default I think we should leave this group for P&S's

Blinky the Shark wrote:

ray wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:58:54 -0500, RichA wrote:

I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but the
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and people here
would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as their stomach's
stay strong.

Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!
Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to be a

Make that "rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.

different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old December 18th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

John Navas added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Often, but not always, the P & S
bigots I think you're talking about identify themselves in the
subject line so you can just mentally filter them out.

Likewise the dSLR bigots.

Yeah, I suppose so. In their case, I more often view SOME as
theorists and elitists, but it seems that the P & S genre seems to
attract some rather jabberwocky commentary such as "10 reasons why
P & S is superior."

Again, where one doesn't want to killfile - as I do not - then it
helps to just keep a mental list of those who don't post in a
manner you want to read and simply bypass those which you disagree
with and/or OPs you think are mordant ninnyhammers.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this the War Room!" –
President Merkin Muffley, in the movie 'Dr. Strangelove or How I
Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb'
Old December 18th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way
out! Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to
be a different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?

Blinky, what exactly does "rec" mean in these NGs, "recreational"?
I really don't know what "alt" means, either except maybe
"alternate" or something like that.

Old December 18th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

HEMI-Powered wrote:
Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

Sayonara - don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way
out! Actually, the 'rec' in the title might give you a clue.

Do you perceive the "rec" in rec.photo-digital.slr-systems to
be a different "rec" than the one in rec.photo.digital?

Blinky, what exactly does "rec" mean in these NGs, "recreational"?
I really don't know what "alt" means, either except maybe
"alternate" or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_8_(Usenet)

rec.* Recreation and entertainment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

According to the "So You Want to Create an Alt Newsgroup" FAQ, the
name "alt" is an acronym for "Anarchists, Lunatics, and Terrorists", though the
acronym also refers to the fact that it
is a "hierarchy that is 'alternative' to the 'mainstream'

HTH.

BugBear
Old December 18th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

bugbear added these comments in the current discussion du jour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_8_(Usenet)

rec.* Recreation and entertainment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt.*_hierarchy

According to the "So You Want to Create an Alt Newsgroup"
FAQ, the name "alt" is an acronym for "Anarchists,
Lunatics, and Terrorists", though the acronym also refers
to the fact that it is a "hierarchy that is 'alternative'
to the 'mainstream'

As to the quote above, I doubt it is an acronym like that any more
than TIPS means "To Insure Prompt Service" or **** means "For
Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". However, it IS widely believed that the
etymology of posh, meaning "plush and luxurious" comes from "Port
Outbound, Starboard Inbound" referring to the way passengers on
sailing ships got preferred berthing according to where the ship
would be when docked and the way waves and prevailing winds tended
to rock the ship differently as perceived by a person in their
cabin.

So, I was basically right that rec means recreational and alt means
alternate or alternative.

Old December 18th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

bugbear wrote:
RichA wrote:
I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but
the
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and
people
here would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as
their
stomach's stay strong.

I think we should talk about photography.

Perhaps a group "rec.photo.camera.advocacy" is needed,
where the trolls could play.

Having been in RPD for a few years and being personally of the
opinion that both P&Ses and DSLRs have their places, I don't see
how the pro-DSLR bigots are any better than those on the opposite
side.

Old December 18th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:58:54 -0500, RichA wrote:

I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but the
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and people here
would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as their stomach's
stay strong.

This is rec.photo.digital and is relevant to ME, if you want to leave
please do - I make my own decisions.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old December 18th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

mianileng wrote:
bugbear wrote:
RichA wrote:
I know it's "digital" which encompasses all the cameras, but
the
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems is more suited to DSLRs and
people
here would be free to concentrate on P&S's for as long as
their
stomach's stay strong.

I think we should talk about photography.

Perhaps a group "rec.photo.camera.advocacy" is needed,
where the trolls could play.

Having been in RPD for a few years and being personally of the
opinion that both P&Ses and DSLRs have their places, I don't see
how the pro-DSLR bigots are any better than those on the opposite
side.

Sort of like religion and political ideology, stick to what you believe,
ignore the facts and denigrate the opinions of your opponents.
Dave Cohen
Old December 18th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:46:19 -0500, Dave Cohen wrote
in :

mianileng wrote:

Having been in RPD for a few years and being personally of the
opinion that both P&Ses and DSLRs have their places, I don't see
how the pro-DSLR bigots are any better than those on the opposite
side.

Sort of like religion and political ideology, stick to what you believe,
ignore the facts and denigrate the opinions of your opponents.

Too true! Too sad.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 18th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jurgen[_4_]

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

Bloody Hell!
Such a wealth of information and from a Chrysler freak too!