In camera noise reduction setting

Old February 1st 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
saxophool

Default In camera noise reduction setting

Hi,
Lurked a while in this group. Lots of good info but I have a question
that might seem obvious. My Olympus E-500 has a "noise reduction"
setting that can be turned on or off. What is the downside of just
leaving it on all the time?
Thanks,
Tom

Old February 1st 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article .com,
saxophool wrote:

Hi,
Lurked a while in this group. Lots of good info but I have a question
that might seem obvious. My Olympus E-500 has a "noise reduction"
setting that can be turned on or off. What is the downside of just
leaving it on all the time?
Thanks,
Tom

a) Not necessarily accurate to the amount of noise reduction you might
want to do (sometimes more ISN'T better), and only uses its own
algorithm, where after market noise reduction can be adjusted and can
take many different forms.

b) if it's anything like on the Canon, it requires the same amount of
time to process as the original shot - so a 30 second exposure requires
a full minute before another frame can be taken.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old February 1st 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

saxophool wrote:

Hi,
Lurked a while in this group. Lots of good info but I have a question
that might seem obvious. My Olympus E-500 has a "noise reduction"
setting that can be turned on or off. What is the downside of just
leaving it on all the time?

It's probably a 'dark frame subtraction' type of noise reduction, where
the camera takes a black-frame picture after you've taken yours. Then
the dark frame is subtracted from the original frame to reduce noise.
This is for longer exposures.

It can be a good thing, or it can be annoying, depending on what you're
trying to do. Note that if you're out shooting really long exposures at
night or whatever, and you don't want to wait for the camera to take the
second long exposure to subtract, you can do this: Turn off the noise
reduction, take one dark exposure, and then shoot away. Later, you can
use Photoshop (or equivalent) to subtract the dark frame from the
others. This works best if you're shooting RAW.
Old February 1st 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:36:09 -0800, saxophool wrote
(in article .com):

Hi,
Lurked a while in this group. Lots of good info but I have a question
that might seem obvious. My Olympus E-500 has a "noise reduction"
setting that can be turned on or off. What is the downside of just
leaving it on all the time?
Thanks,
Tom

The only drawback is that it probably takes longer to process each shot.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 2nd 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
saxophool

On Jan 31, 10:59 pm, C J Campbell
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:36:09 -0800, saxophool wrote
(in article .com):

Hi,
Lurked a while in this group. Lots of good info but I have a question
that might seem obvious. My Olympus E-500 has a "noise reduction"
setting that can be turned on or off. What is the downside of just
leaving it on all the time?
Thanks,
Tom

The only drawback is that it probably takes longer to process each shot.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Thanks to all for your responses. I'm a novice at Photoshop as well
so I probably won't be using it in the way suggested right away.
Sounds like it's not going to make much difference off or on for
daytime shots but will improve night shots with the downside of a
longer processing time. I move pretty slow at night so that's not
really a downside for me. If I missed something, please correct.
Thanks again,
Tom