"Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat"?

Old September 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default "Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat"?

Does anyone have any idea of the history of the lens currently for
sale as eBay item 250026790828? It is marked "Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat",
a designation I've never seen before.

The seller's picture is not clear enough to let me see whether it has
a Zeiss or Kodak style serial number.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart
Old September 10th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

Does anyone have any idea of the history of the lens currently for
sale as eBay item 250026790828? It is marked "Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat",
a designation I've never seen before.

The seller's picture is not clear enough to let me see whether it has
a Zeiss or Kodak style serial number.

Why not ask the seller? There'a link there for that.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Old September 11th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter Irwin

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
Does anyone have any idea of the history of the lens currently for
sale as eBay item 250026790828? It is marked "Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat",
a designation I've never seen before.

My 1914 British Kodak Apparatus and Materials catalogue
lists both TT&H Kodak Anastigmats and Zeiss Kodak Anastigmats
as available for the most popular Folding Pocket Kodaks
(VPK, 1A, 3, 3A, 4). They would also sell Cooke and Zeiss
Tessar lenses with any model camera which could rationally be
fitted with one.

It seems very likely that the Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat is
in fact a Series IIb f/6.3 Zeiss Tessar sold for a reduced
price because Kodak was willing to buy a lot of them.

The VPK lens is a 3.5 inch f/6.9
The lens for the #1A and #3 FPK is 5 1/8" f/6.3.
The lens for the #3A or #4 FPK is 6 1/2" f/6.3.
Either of the later two should cover 4x5.

Peter.

Old September 12th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Dan Fromm

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
Does anyone have any idea of the history of the lens currently for
sale as eBay item 250026790828? It is marked "Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat",
a designation I've never seen before.

The seller's picture is not clear enough to let me see whether it has
a Zeiss or Kodak style serial number.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

Bausch & Lomb was CZJ's US licensee, made a Tessars (IC, f/4.5; IIb,
f/6.3), Unars, and a variety of Protars under license. The lens in
question is a B&L Tessar IIb in a Volute shutter. Its s/n will fit the
B&L sequence.