The Shoot-In

Old July 23rd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Default The Shoot-In

Helen wrote:

As I said before, thanks for the kind thoughts but I am not computer
savvy enough to run the SI.
My reason for posting this topic was to get an idea of everyone's
opinion about it. If it is indeed dead, then so be it. It had a
great run. There are other competing sites to enter photos.
I agree that people should have fun and this should not be taken too
seriously.

Near as I can tell, nearly everyone who comes to these forums has a
site or three where they post their photo work for viewing. Every day
somone posts the URL of a photo, or an "album", or a site/page so
those interested can see something they have done, or that they think
deserves attention.

My interpretation of the "Shoot-In" (RIP?) was that it gathered work
relative to a theme, for exhibition and evaluation. Seems to me there
need not be a literal "gathering" of work; part of the joy of
electronic communication is the way it enables close-to-instant
execution of traditionally drudgery-encumbered tasks.

So,
Announce a Theme ( I bet Helen could/would coordinate a pool and
decision process )
Announce a Date ( 21 days from the date of announcement [can you say
"compromise"?] )
Solicit locations ( of individual "themed" images; no penalty for
Oldies or Repeats )
( If "freshness" and "challenge" are important enough to you/us,
make two categories: Challenge and Share? )
Make a folder on your own computer's news-reader, where you will park
candidate URL/Photos for evaluation at your leisure.
On the Date, start a thread with appropriate Subject Line like "Now
accepting reactions to 'GRIT' ", and announcing a new Theme and Date
Add your impressions, comments, critical observations, encouragement

If nothing else, this would offer resolution to my frequent response
to the announcement of a Shoot-In theme: " OOH ! OOOH ! I got a GOOD
one for that! "

Old July 23rd 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Frank ess wrote:

Helen wrote:

[...]

I sort of like this idea, but I do see some potential problems.
Once a month/week/fortnight whatever, someone posts the
"Post your SI links" message. Everyone replies to that
message with a link to their own image, on flickr / pbase /
geocities / etc whatever they use. Then we can have a second
message thread with the appraisal/criticism. The advantages
of this a
1) very little moderator work
2) those of us who already submit to other sites, keep our
workflow the same - no mucking around to convert to 800
pixels or whatever the SI requirement is.
Disadvantages:
1) no ability to limit timeframe - ie someone may post after
already getting inspiration from an already posted image -
is this a problem?
2) no single page to compare all the images and to give an
archived page of submisisons.
3) potentially some contributors could change/pull their
image after publication.

I sort of like the idea, but not sure how the problems would
affect the SI. I guess it would be a fundamental change to
the nature of it. For better or worse though?