Canon domination?

Old January 30th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Canon domination?

Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the sports
market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events is
wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of accredited
photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.
--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com

Old January 30th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

DD wrote:
Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the
sports market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events
is wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of
accredited photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon
cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.

Canon officially has 59% of the DSLR market as a whole.
That leaves Nikon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta (oh, and Stigma) to split the
remaining 41%.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with such a lead for any one company--not
even my chosen company.

Old January 30th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
DD wrote:
Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the
sports market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events
is wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of
accredited photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon
cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.

Canon officially has 59% of the DSLR market as a whole.
That leaves Nikon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta (oh, and Stigma) to split the
remaining 41%.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with such a lead for any one company--not
even my chosen company.

I think you worry too much about that. They were stats over 2005 as a whole,
but Nikon had new dSLRs only in January and December (and the January ones
were only a small upgrade to the D70 and an almost equally small downgrade
of it). And as shown in the Japanese stats Ian cited when you expressed your
concern on rec.photo.digital, Nikon were ahead in January and December -
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?read=147

I don't think the Japanese are unique in that. A new camera release by
either Nikon or Canon will put that company ahead until the other responds.
Its just that in the calendar year 2005, Canon introduced 2 new dSLRs
between the 2 Nikon releases, and one of them (the 350D) did extremely well.
But I wonder how many of the pros Dallas saw were using it.

The Japanese stats do show that the other companies are struggling though.
Their graphs also naturally show peaks when they release new cameras, but
their peaks are unable to match even the valleys for Canon and Nikon when
they are between releases. It will be interesting to see whether the
Pentax/Samsung cooperation changes that, and whether Sony can succeed where
Minolta failed. And maybe whether Olympus's continuing ingenuity can
eventually produce a market-busting camera in the mold of the OM1, sometime
before they are forced from the market.

--
Apteryx

Old January 30th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article 7GiDf.54770$V.29452@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...
DD wrote:
Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the
sports market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events
is wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of
accredited photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon
cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.

Canon officially has 59% of the DSLR market as a whole.
That leaves Nikon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta (oh, and Stigma) to split the
remaining 41%.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with such a lead for any one company--not
even my chosen company.

I was most surprised by it, as were a few of the regular pro photogs I
know. Reinforces the fact that the top agencies are all using sponsored
gear.

Old January 30th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message
Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the sports
market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events is
wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of accredited
photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.

Here's my experience: three professional sporting events in the last two
years, including last year's SB in Jacksonville, and I took notice of the
shooters. White lenses as far as the eye could see. Yes, there were a few
Nikons in the mix, but at all three events, Canons appeared to be the more
popular choice, by far.

Yes, I know, three events isn't a scientific sample, but tickets are pretty
expensive...

Old January 30th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of accredited
photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon cameras. Cold fact.

No Leicas? BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!

All your anecdote proves is that those who need the best (and can
afford it) shoot Canon. FWIW, our local paper still uses Nikons
because when they switched to digital the Nikon was the only choice.
They figure it would be too costly for them to switch at this point,
and judging by the lack of talent shown by their staff, I don't think
it would make much of a difference anyway.

Old January 30th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Who gives a **** what the pros use? Their papers own the damned lenses.
The pros make chump change...dentists drive the Mercedes and Porsches,
not pro photogs..

Ask what the DENTISTS use!

Old January 30th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Most of these guys do not own this equipment.

It's too expensive. Their papers own it. So, who gives a **** what the
pros use? They make chump-change and have to go out in all kinds of
weather....

Mike wrote:
At the PGA Championship in 2004, I counted more of the black telephotos
than the white ones. If that means anything...

One guy had 5 (Canon) lenses around his neck with a film body attached to
each lens. They all looked like hell. His huge white tele had duct tape
all over it. Each Canon body was all beat up. The photographer
had big knee pads on and looked like hell as well!

Old January 30th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:
DD wrote:

Of course we have all heard the claims of how Canon dominates the
sports market and how anyone not using those cameras at sports events
is wasting their time and money.

Well, at this past weekend's A1GP I must report that the only people
using Canon cameras were the various press agency people, like AFP,
Reuters, local papers, etc. There were a few freelancers using Canon
20D's and I saw a 5D or two, but on the whole the majority of
accredited photographers shooting the event were using...Nikon
cameras. Cold fact.

So much for that theory.

Canon officially has 59% of the DSLR market as a whole.
That leaves Nikon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta (oh, and Stigma) to split the
remaining 41%.

IIRC, well over 59% of professional drivers drive trucks...