Sigma SD10/Lenses Opinions

Old June 17th 04, 11:47 PM
David J. Littleboy

Default Sigma SD10/Lenses Opinions

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message

bagal wrote:

erm ... possibly 3?

And although I did say I planned to sell my SD10 kit, and phoned the
shop I may sell it through promising to bring it in, problem is nothing
else does the same job. I keep KNOWING it isn't sensible to keep it but
the damn pix floor anything else for my purposes editorially (never any
bigger than its true 3.4 megapixel size) and seem to be more than
adequate for Alamy.

If you learned how to use Photoshop to (a) crank the contrast, (b) crank the
saturation, (c) sharpen, and finally (d) downsample, and you'd be able to
create the same aliased, low dynamic range, oversaturated, oversharpened
3.4MP images from any 6MP dSLR.

I suppose that's harder than letting the Sigma software do it for you...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 18th 04, 12:13 AM
David Kilpatrick

bagal wrote:

erm ... possibly 3?

And although I did say I planned to sell my SD10 kit, and phoned the
shop I may sell it through promising to bring it in, problem is nothing
else does the same job. I keep KNOWING it isn't sensible to keep it but
the damn pix floor anything else for my purposes editorially (never any
bigger than its true 3.4 megapixel size) and seem to be more than
adequate for Alamy.

If you learned how to use Photoshop to (a) crank the contrast, (b) crank the
saturation, (c) sharpen, and finally (d) downsample, and you'd be able to
create the same aliased, low dynamic range, oversaturated, oversharpened
3.4MP images from any 6MP dSLR.

I suppose that's harder than letting the Sigma software do it for you...

You have no idea who I am. The phrase 'than you've had hot dinners'
springs to mind, but I won't use it since your particular end of the
alimentary canal doesn't do the eating.

As it happens I have not used Sigma's software since the CS 2.2 Raw
plugin arrived, and contrast and saturation are not exactly things I
look for in shots of photographic equipment or bits of prints,
peripherals, and packaging. Not that SD10 images are any more saturared,
oversharpened, lacking in dynamic range or indeed more aliased than any
others even when processed correctly using Sigma's own software. That's
in your head keeping company with whatever other fixed preconceptions,
prejudices or pet hates you care to foster.

DK

Old June 18th 04, 03:28 AM
LESLIE SCHEHL

I am not a digital camera owner, so i'm not ****ed off about my digital
experience. I did however, notice that "George" is now Georgette... i do
believe that they are one in the same... and that it is a sad thing when a
company has to post to newsgroups to get attention... hmmm says alot about
their product. If and when i do decide to make the half leap (advid film
user) to digital it will not be sigma... it would be Nikkon or Cannon.

Leslie

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...
(Orville Wright) wrote in message

. com...
Hi. I am a proud Sigma SD10 owner.

I would like to state how incredible this camera is, as are all of the
available Sigma lenses. This camera and its lenses are superior to any
other manufacturer's in all respects. This camera contains the coveted
Foveon sensor which is the only sensor that records pixels in color.
The effective resolution on this camera is better than that of any
other digital SLR in production or dvelopment today. The Sigma SD10
and Sigma lenses are AWESOME!

I would love to hear some more positive feedback from other Sigma
owners/future owners.

There are several very pleased Sigma owners here, if you have more
specific experiences to share, or Qs. There are a couple of
other-brand DSLR users here too, but they are unamimously ****ed off
about their digital experiences, so they've made it their mission to
regularly spam this newsgroup. I've yet to see a message of value
posted from a DSLR user that doesn't own Sigma.

Old June 18th 04, 06:26 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Georgette
Preddy wrote:

There are several very pleased Sigma owners here, if you have more
specific experiences to share, or Qs. There are a couple of
other-brand DSLR users here too, but they are unamimously ****ed off
about their digital experiences, so they've made it their mission to
regularly spam this newsgroup. I've yet to see a message of value
posted from a DSLR user that doesn't own Sigma.

How about creating your own newsgroup - something like
rec.photo.equipment.losers?
Old June 18th 04, 09:05 AM
Mick Sterbs

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...

There are several very pleased Sigma owners here, if you have more

"Here" being this planet. Sigma hope to reach double figures by 2007. I
understand a man in Arkansas was recently considering buying a used SD10.

Old June 18th 04, 10:05 AM
Georgette Preddy

"LESLIE SCHEHL" wrote in message .. .
I am not a digital camera owner, so i'm not ****ed off about my digital
experience. I did however, notice that "George" is now Georgette... i do
believe that they are one in the same... and that it is a sad thing when a
company has to post to newsgroups to get attention... hmmm says alot about
their product. If and when i do decide to make the half leap (advid film
user) to digital it will not be sigma... it would be Nikkon or Cannon.

You just caused the loss of a Nikon customer. I was going to buy 38
D70s before you posted that and made me real angry with Nikon.
Old June 18th 04, 10:10 AM
Mick Sterbs

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...
"LESLIE SCHEHL" wrote in message

.. .
I am not a digital camera owner, so i'm not ****ed off about my digital
experience. I did however, notice that "George" is now Georgette... i do
believe that they are one in the same... and that it is a sad thing when

company has to post to newsgroups to get attention... hmmm says alot

about
their product. If and when i do decide to make the half leap (advid

film
user) to digital it will not be sigma... it would be Nikkon or Cannon.

You just caused the loss of a Nikon customer. I was going to buy 38
D70s before you posted that and made me real angry with Nikon.

I'm sure that Nikon would feel nothing but relief to know that a dribbling
slack-jawed shambling moron such as you wasn't buying their cameras.

Old June 18th 04, 11:06 AM
Mark B.

"Bhup" wrote in message
Thanks for sharing the info with me , I needed someone to tell my pea

brain
that's the SIGMA was amazing

I will rush out and buy a SD10 but what do I do with all my useless Nikon
lens.besides I only print 6x4

FS
16mm fisheye
24mm F2.8 AFD
Nikon 60mm AFD micro
50mm F1.8
180mm AFn ED F2.8
35-105 nikkor AFD F3.5
80-200mm nikkor F4.5
I will throw in all me film junk bodies for free

all unreasonable offers accepted

Oh look, it's that Preddy Troll again.

Old June 18th 04, 11:11 AM
Mark B.

"Mick Sterbs" wrote in message

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...

There are several very pleased Sigma owners here, if you have more

"Here" being this planet. Sigma hope to reach double figures by 2007. I
understand a man in Arkansas was recently considering buying a used SD10.

LOL. There might be a total of about 3 here; GP must be counting his
multiple personalities as well.

Mark