OT - Americans

Old November 16th 04, 07:04 AM
Jim Phelps

"DALLAS" wrote in message
news
Read this and say it ain't so...

http://iafrica.com/news/features/390524.htm

A tad bit one sided if you ask me. Here in Germany, a TV News Magazine
frequently asks on camera questions about Germany (like: What major city in
Germany was divided until 1990?) or basic knowledge (like: At what degree
Celsius does water freeze?) which should have been learned in grade school.
Most of the questions I can answer, and I'm an American living here. Most
of the people asked cannot correctly answer the questions. However, I would
also ask American citizens the question "What state borders North Dakota to
the south?" Guess what the percentage of correct answers were? 10% would
be in the correct ballpark.

I think it's not a display of arrogance nor ignorance, but a display of lack
of thought. People just don't think when placed in such a situation.
They're making conversation and the facts are secondary.

Wanna have fun, ask a Frenchman which wars the French won. You'll likely
get the answer "In all we fought."

Old November 16th 04, 08:43 AM
Bob Harrington

Joseph Kewfi wrote:
Annika1980 Wrote:
You probably won't find any articles written in the USA about what
South Africans think. You know why? Nobody gives a ****!

I think this statement alone confirms that the crux of the article is
entirely accurate.
As far as we in the rest of the world i.e the majority can tell,
Americans believe the world has 50 states- they are all American and
they are the centre of the universe, slanglish is the official
language too.

And like so many things ~you~ believe - it is at best a grossly
inaccurate generalization, or just an outright lie.

Can you - without looking it up - name the US state due south of
Vancouver BC, Canada? Can you name its Governor? Don't bother posting
the answer here as only you will know if you are being honest - if that
is even important to you.

Old November 16th 04, 01:00 PM
TAFKAB

This article, like many others, starts with a sliver of truth and
extrapolates it to extremes that are largely untrue. It is anecdotal at
best. AbiNader states that "most American schools have no language
departments." Source? Any data to back this up? Can she name any schools
that either do or don't? No.

This article, like many, is simply s steaming pile of horse**** designed to
rouse the rabble. Ignore it. We do.

Old November 16th 04, 01:03 PM
DALLAS

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:43:15 -0800, Bob Harrington wrote:

And like so many things ~you~ believe - it is at best a grossly
inaccurate generalization, or just an outright lie.

It certainly isn't. I haven't travelled there myself but I have heard
nearly every visitor from this country to the US say two things about
it:

1. They're the dumbest people we ever met.
2. They're the fattest people we ever met.

One only has to watch some of the **** that American television networks
spew forth to believe the statements are true. I mean...Extreme Makeover
for Christ's sake!!! Fear Factor...MTV...Crossing over, Jerry Springer,
etc.

When I do watch TV (which isn't often) all I see are fat slobs with big
owl eyed glasses crying about some or other **** that probably happened
about 20 years ago.

Can you - without looking it up - name the US state due south of
Vancouver BC, Canada? Can you name its Governor? Don't bother posting
the answer here as only you will know if you are being honest - if that
is even important to you.

Isn't that Washington State? Or is it Oregon? I haven't looked at a map
recently. I don't think it is important for non-Americans to know who the
governor of any state is, but I do know that Arnold Swartzenooggie is in
the seat in California and Dubya's brother somehow has control of Florida.

I think the point of the matter is that most American's just don't have a
clue about what happens outside of the US borders. As it turns out, this
is a very dangerous thing, because 52% of the electorate think it's okay
to go to war against countries they have never heard of, or can point out
on a map of the world.

Old November 16th 04, 01:10 PM
jimkramer

"DALLAS" wrote in message
news
Read this and say it ain't so...

http://iafrica.com/news/features/390524.htm

Dear Dallas,

Thanks for pointing out what a mess the U.S. educational system is and how
stupid we Americans are. You have clearly illustrated that all of the
foreign aid programs are a waste of U.S. taxpayers' money, especially if the
taxpayers have no idea what country they are helping. So I propose, that
instead of ****ing away all that U.S. foreign aid on some "unknown" country
or continent, that we (American taxpayers) spend the money on internal
affairs, such as education; and perhaps mandatory sterilization of idiots
and other "undesirables".

Meanwhile, we'll just let starvation, global warming and that AIDS thingy
wipe out the entire "country" of Africa so that us stupid Americans have
some place new to colonize in the 22nd Century.

Best Wishes from your Stupid American Friend,
Jim Kramer

P.S. I forgot to mention the lovely militant uprising coming to a
country(s) near you (something about damn foreign invaders), maybe even that
"state" in which you live. Anyway, "Duck and Cover!" ;-)

P.P.S. You know, a giraffe sticking its head out of an abandoned, burned
out building would make a cute picture. A little char smudge on the top of
his head? Maybe you could post one for us before they take down the power
grid?