How to make prints from 40 year old 'Kodak Safety Film'?

Old October 4th 04, 10:50 PM
Aaron

Default How to make prints from 40 year old 'Kodak Safety Film'?

Hello,
I have some old negatives, from about 1970 that I have found in my
grandparents home. I would like to create prints from these negatives.
The film does not look like other negatives that I am familiar with,
the holes are only along one side and it says 'Kodak Safety Film' on
the edges. I brought these to one photo shop and they said that their
machines could not print these. Do you have any recommendations as to
how I can create prints from these negatives? I am in the NY area.
This website seems to think that the film is "Ektachrome MS 7256"
http://www.film-center.com/stock.html

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and where I can get them
printed?
Thanks for your help, in advance,
Aaron
Old October 8th 04, 02:29 PM
Jim Phelps

"Aaron" wrote in message
m...
Hello,
I have some old negatives, from about 1970 that I have found in my
grandparents home. I would like to create prints from these negatives.
The film does not look like other negatives that I am familiar with,
the holes are only along one side and it says 'Kodak Safety Film' on
the edges. I brought these to one photo shop and they said that their
machines could not print these. Do you have any recommendations as to
how I can create prints from these negatives? I am in the NY area.
This website seems to think that the film is "Ektachrome MS 7256"
http://www.film-center.com/stock.html

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and where I can get them
printed?
Thanks for your help, in advance,
Aaron

The film could also be the old 126 'Instamatic' size film. If memory serves
me right, this film was width as 135 film, had holes along one edge with
wide gaps between them to index the Instamatic cameras frame counter (and
stopped advancing the film). You can check by measuring the image. It
should be 28mm square format.

If this is what you have, check www.frugalphotographer.com for info on
getting processing/prints made.

Old March 30th 05, 07:21 PM
Jim Nason

On 2004-10-04 17:50:52 -0400, (Aaron) said:

Hello,
I have some old negatives, from about 1970 that I have found in my
grandparents home. I would like to create prints from these negatives.
The film does not look like other negatives that I am familiar with,
the holes are only along one side and it says 'Kodak Safety Film' on
the edges. I brought these to one photo shop and they said that their
machines could not print these. Do you have any recommendations as to
how I can create prints from these negatives? I am in the NY area.
This website seems to think that the film is "Ektachrome MS 7256"
http://www.film-center.com/stock.html

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and where I can get them
printed?
Thanks for your help, in advance,
Aaron

Aaron... Are there many holes, or only a few (one per frame?). then I
concur, it is probably 126 film. All Kodak film was labeled Kodak
Safety film at the time which only distinguished from early acetate
base films (20's or earlier) that tended to cause movies houses to
burn up in specatular conflagurations. It is probaly 126 film. If
the colors look normal (ie natural) then it could be Ektachrome, which
was a slide film. I would expect anyone shooting Ektachrome at the
time would have it mounted as slides.... pro's in 35 mm might have
them in not cut.. but normally amatures would not. Otherwise if they
are reversed then it is simply Kodacolor negative film. Any of these
can be printed, its just a matter of finding someone who can handle 126
film. 126 negatives or slides are 28mm square (the image area) (1.1
iinches, 1.1 inches) . You should be able to find a shop in NYC that
can print anything...

The other possibility is that is move film. Super 8 or 8 mm movie
film. This is a continuous reel of film and has sproket holes down
one side of the film. The images are 8mm .. hence the film
desgnation. Tiny. There are plenty of services either localy or on the
internet which will transfer the movie film to VHS or DVD.

Jim

Old March 30th 05, 07:21 PM
Jim Nason

Old March 30th 05, 07:21 PM