OT - HTML quirk - Was 5D Sync Problem

Old July 24th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default OT - HTML quirk - Was 5D Sync Problem

"jimkramer" wrote:

On a side note make sure you look at the website on someone else's
computer
or force the font to be one that supports the last 2 characters in your
sauce's name. I just get little squares.

I get little squares in Internet Explorer, but a white question mark
within a black diamond in Mozilla Firefox.

Something definitely isn't right.

I like the sound of the sauce, though!

I finally "launched" (with the expected whimper) the pepper sauce on my
website:

http://www.colibrihotsauce.com

In the week or so since the original thread died and after many hours of
attempted fixes, I discovered the issue with displaying the characters.The
issue with the browsers seems to be the inability to display the characters
"í" ("i" with and acute symbol) and ®, the "registered" symbol. When those
characters exist in the html source text, browsers reject them and display
boxes or question marks. However, if those same symbols appear in the HTML
text as "í" and "®" the browsers display the correct symbols
without any problem. I was using Nvu to edit the pages initially and had no
problem because it automatically changed the characters to the text that
would cause browsers to display those characters properly. However, when I
used KompoZer, the updated Nvu, with a new name, it automatically changed
"í" and "®" to "í" and "®." KompoZer actually makes that change
on every save, even if the affected text was not changed. I now have to edit
the html with Notepad in order to prevent my web editing program from
screwing up the page.

Why two different versions of the same software would do this I cannot
figure. And why browsers can interpret "®" and not "®" is also beyond my
poor powers of understanding such things. Does anyone have any explanation
for this?

My next "to do" item on that page is to get some better images of the
bottle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

Old July 24th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
"jimkramer" wrote:

[...]

It makes little sense to me I would have gotten frustrated and used Alt+###
or just made a graphic and inserted it in the text. Which would have opened
a whole new can of issues. :-)

My next "to do" item on that page is to get some better images of the
bottle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Send me a bottle and let me try some "shots"? :-)

If I recall correctly your issue was with the glare off the top glass
portion of the bottle?

Have you tried setting it on a light table? I suspect you will need to set
it on a circle of some opaque material or you will have funny things happen
with the light traveling through the glass from the bottom, but that might
work out well too.

Get a spray can of satin or eggshell clear coat and hit the whole bottle
with that and use your existing lighting scheme.

Use a light tent with weak lighting and try a timed exposure rather than a
flash.

Shoot the bottle in a water tank?

-Jim

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

Old July 24th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

My next "to do" item on that page is to get some better images of the
bottle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Send me a bottle and let me try some "shots"? :-)

If I recall correctly your issue was with the glare off the top glass
portion of the bottle?

Have you tried setting it on a light table? I suspect you will need to set
it on a circle of some opaque material or you will have funny things
happen with the light traveling through the glass from the bottom, but
that might work out well too.

Thanks for this idea. It might not be a bad idea to get the sauce in the
bottle to seem to glow from within.

Get a spray can of satin or eggshell clear coat and hit the whole bottle
with that and use your existing lighting scheme.

I thought of this idea, but have give it up due to some good suggestions
that I got on the dpreview lighting forum.

Use a light tent with weak lighting and try a timed exposure rather than a
flash.

When I initially tried a light tent, I got uniformly bad reflections off
everything. Someone who posted an image on the dpreview site changed my
attituded towards the reflections by suggesting that I think of shooting the
bottle as really just shooting what is reflected by the bottle, I just need
to get good reflections from strip lights and such and make sure they are in
the correct locations to make the bottle look like I want it.

Shoot the bottle in a water tank?

Interesting idea, but I don't have a water tank and I'm pretty sure the
bottle would float.

-Jim

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

Old July 24th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Seems to me that you need a real big softbox (a sheet might work) so
that instead of seeing the reflections of the lights you'd just see
one smooth white reflection.

The reflections in the original images are from 48 inch, octagonal
softboxes. The tight curve on the bottle is really defeating their use and
they are only a few inches from the bottle.

A better solution would be to simply use natural light without
flashes, at least for the trouble areas. Combining multiple exposures
might give some good results.

The multiple exposure method would probably work but bottles are just too
damned reflective. They are going to reflect the light source no matter what
it is. In the suggestions that I have gotten in other places, the common
theme seems to be to just control the reflections using strip lights or
strip reflectors or whatever and make sure that they appear in the right
place on the bottle. Here is a link to the dpreview thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1025&message=28686081

I think that I am going to try to replicate the wine bottle shot with my hot
suace and maybe even do a shot with a flashlight glued to the bottom of the
bottle, illuminating the sauce from within (per one of Jim's suggestions)
and some reflectors around the bottle. I'll post results whether it works
out or not.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com

Old July 25th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me like an option thing, which could have been introduced or
reset with a new version. Have a look through the settings and see if there
is one about special characters. I have mine set to, "insert special
characters as ... character entitites (&amp".

And why browsers can interpret "®" and not "®" is also beyond my poor
powers of understanding such things. Does anyone have any
explanation for this?

You don't need an explanation, you just need to accept that that's the way
it is and get on with it. :- )

Old July 25th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Wilba wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:

[...]

First thing I checked.

And why browsers can interpret "®" and not "®" is also beyond my poor
powers of understanding such things. Does anyone have any
explanation for this?

You don't need an explanation, . . .

You don't need an explanation, . . .

.. . . and you don't have one. That's a pretty convenient coincidence,
don't ya think?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 25th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_3_]

Eric Miller wrote:
Wilba wrote:

You don't need an explanation, . . .

. . . and you don't have one.

No, I'm just not giving it to you, because it's OT. Look where you know it
is.

That's a pretty convenient coincidence, don't ya think?

Not if it's based on an invalid assumption.

Old July 25th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

"Wilba" wrote in
:

Eric Miller wrote:
Wilba wrote:

You don't need an explanation, . . .

. . . and you don't have one.

No, I'm just not giving it to you, because it's OT. Look where you
know it is.

Too OT to reveal in an OT thread? You're funny, just not very informative.

Eric Miller
www.colibrihotsauce.com