Eneloop purchase...info

Old December 29th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Eneloop purchase...info

I just bought my first set of Eneloops. I have been using two sets
of two Energizer 2500mah in my Sony DSC- H1 The Energizer is a
standard NiMH battery that self discharges like all other standard
NiMH batteries. ( about 1% per day self discharge )

I charged the two sets of Energizers a week before Christmas. All
four measured 1.4 volts directly off of the 130ma slow charger.
Upon taking 100 photos on Christmas through today I only have a
1/3 battery indication on the camera with the first set of Energizers.
This used set measures about 1.22 volts. The second set of Energizers
have sat on the shelf unused and measures only 1.26 volts. They have
dropped from 1.4 volts to 1.26 volts in just 10 days.

The Eneloops rated at 2000mah measures 1.3 volts right out of the
box. They have sat on the shelf for much longer than 10 days.The
stated self discharge rate is about 15 times less than a standard
NiMH. This should mean that my Eneloops will drop to 1.26 volts
in about 5 months instead of 10 days. The gain of minimal self
discharge should offset the initial lower capacity in that it should
only take about three weeks for the Energizer 2500's to drop down
to the 2000mah capacity of the Eneloops.

*Also found a great SMART charger at Ritz Camera. A four channel
60 minute charger for 1 through 4 AA/AAA batteries. The charger has
one LED for each of the four batteries to indicate independently the
state of charge whether it be Rapid-Red /Trickle,finish-Green /Faulty
battery-Orange. It is a Quantaray by Sunpak brand charger for only $34
dollars with four standard NiMH batteries. ( I do not work for Ritz )
Old December 29th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:16:33 -0500
wrote:

[...]

If you put fully-charged sets of your Energizers and your Eneloops on
the shelf and measure their voltage once a week for a couple months,
you'll notice that the voltage curve over time is not linear enough
to make extrapolations as you did above. You'll also end up with
really interesting data about the actual self-discharge rate of
Eneloops. A grateful planet would thank you if you post the results
here. (Make sure the new batteries have been through a couple charge/
discharge cycles before you start the experiment.)

Paul Allen
Old December 29th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

If you put fully-charged sets of your Energizers and your Eneloops on
the shelf and measure their voltage once a week for a couple months,
you'll notice that the voltage curve over time is not linear enough
to make extrapolations as you did above.

You are correct. I went the right direction but I can't quantify the
exact numbers. Panasonic R2, Ansman MaxE and others are now also
offering low self discharge NiMH batteries.

You'll also end up with
really interesting data about the actual self-discharge rate of
Eneloops. A grateful planet would thank you if you post the results
here. (Make sure the new batteries have been through a couple charge/
discharge cycles before you start the experiment.)

Storing both types of NiMH batteries in cool places also decreases the
self discharge rate. I will keep track of the Eneloops and see if they
fare better than the Energizers for random spontaneous use.

Old December 29th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Paul Allen writes:
to make extrapolations as you did above. You'll also end up with
really interesting data about the actual self-discharge rate of
Eneloops. A grateful planet would thank you if you post the results
here. (Make sure the new batteries have been through a couple charge/
discharge cycles before you start the experiment.)

This has been done many times and Eneloop's claims appear to be true.
Energizer 2500 mah cells made from certain manufacturing batches have
also developed unexpectedly fast self-discharge after a few cycles.
Old December 29th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Upon taking 100 photos on Christmas through today I only have a
1/3 battery indication on the camera with the first set of Energizers.
This used set measures about 1.22 volts

Using the out of the box Eneloops I just took 150 photos with flash on
90% of the time, zoom change 10%, AF illuminator on, LCD on 10%,
LCD playback of all of the pics two times and the battery icon shows
full and measures at 1.26 volts.

Charger for Eneloop cells Daniel Prince Digital Photography 2 April 7th 06 04:04 PM
Christmas Purchase... E. Graeme Smith Digital Photography 4 December 4th 05 10:48 PM
Purchase m Ransley Digital Photography 1 October 16th 05 02:38 PM
SLR purchase: help /* frank */ 35mm Photo Equipment 18 July 19th 04 08:17 PM