Top of the Rock

Old December 29th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Default Top of the Rock

I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
the tripod.

I went upstairs, and as dusk fell I used the tripod as a monopod anyway.
The deck has three levels, the bottom two of which have safety glass
with small openings between them. If you go up there, you can stake out
which cracks are big enough to fit a lens through - some are, some aren't.

This is the typical view at dusk:
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/119507865

This is from the second observation level, looking towards the east and
down at the first level:
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/2/119509682

The best part is that unlike the Empire State Building, you actually get
the Empire State Building in the view!
Old December 29th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:51:00 -0800, Cynicor wrote
(in article ):

I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
the tripod.

Heh. At the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, they will not let you take your tripod
at all, and if you have too nice of a camera they will warn you not to take
pictures for money -- they have a tight contract with the concessionaire up
there.

Nice work on the pictures. Beautiful pastel tones.

Old December 29th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

C J Campbell wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:51:00 -0800, Cynicor wrote
(in article ):

I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
the tripod.

Heh. At the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, they will not let you take your tripod
at all, and if you have too nice of a camera they will warn you not to take
pictures for money -- they have a tight contract with the concessionaire up
there.

The only thing I wanted to see in Las Vegas was the road back to the
airport. But what would they do if you did take pictures and sold them?
They don't own the view.

Although I didn't figure out a good, accessible place to take a picture
from Apex - Vegas does look kind of cool, sitting there from afar.

Nice work on the pictures. Beautiful pastel tones.

Thanks - the only way to get nice tones with that is by using
Windows-based editing programs.

Old December 29th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Cynicor wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
[...]

I'd say, that in spite of your being hobbled by such a program, your
artistry overcame your software limitations....nice pix.

--
JOhn McWilliams
Old December 29th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Cynicor wrote:

The best part is that unlike the Empire State Building, you actually get
the Empire State Building in the view!

I've heard it said that the best thing about taking pictures from the CN Tower
is that it's the only place in Toronto that DOESN'T have a view of the CN
Tower...