Chargeable NiMH batteries for Canon A530

Old December 28th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Chargeable NiMH batteries for Canon A530

I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
$44 on the web.

Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
as well with my camera?

I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old December 28th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
$44 on the web.

Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
as well with my camera?

I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use any old NiMH batteries in your Canon or any other make of
Camera.

Having said that, there are different qualities of NiMH around, and some of
the cheaper ones will not have a capacity as large as stated on the pack, so
don't just buy the cheapest. None of them will damage your camera.

Again there are chargers and good chargers, go for one which has individual
charging circuits for each battery, and perhaps a discharge function as
well.

Roy G

Old December 28th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:28:24 -0800, tba724 wrote:

I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
$44 on the web.

Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
as well with my camera?

Any ol' will work fine. A nimh is a nimh. The one thing I'd look for are
the batteries with the highest mah rating (2500 or so, at least). You
should also be aware that the one hour chargers will probably kill the
batteries sooner than a twelve hour charger.

I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

I would assume so, though my source is generally Fred Meyer rather than WM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is also supposed to be a wave of newly designed nimh's coming on the
market. I believe one is called 'enerloop' - as I recall the main
improvement is supposed to be shelf life. I believe these are fairly
expensive now.

Old December 28th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

I would look for the new Sanyo Eneloop batteries - they have a significantly
lower self discharge than standard NiMH's and a good fast charger (1 hour or
30 minutes). The charger should have an individual control circuit for each
cell.

ups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated at
that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more times?
As for the brand name, I was unable to obtain some firm information. It
appears that most are made in China, Vietnam and other countries were the
cost of labour is low. I am not sure that the brand name matter all that
much. I would reply more on the battery specifications and the availability
of the 1-800- service.

news

Old December 28th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

BTW I have a Canon A710is and I am using, without problem so far, batteries
from Duracell, Energizer and I just bough 4 batteries marketed by Optex.
The original (unpacked yet) batteries are non rechargeable alkaline with the
name of Panasonic.

wrote in message
At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated
at that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more
times? As for the brand name, I was unable to obtain some firm
information. It appears that most are made in China, Vietnam and other
countries were the cost of labour is low. I am not sure that the brand
name matter all that much. I would reply more on the battery
specifications and the availability of the 1-800- service.

news

Old December 28th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ray wrote:
[...]

The eneloop is normal price, $12 for a set of 4 at Ritz. I've seen
ridiculous prices for them on-line particularly when you add postage.
You can get those and a smart charger that monitors individual cells.

If self discharge isn't going to be a problem (you take a couple of
hundred pics in less than a month), then you can't beat the Walmart
package - 4 cells and a smart charger for around $17. The charger holds
4 cells and will charge 2 at a time, but does not monitor each cell. I
used one for many months until I upgraded to eneloop and a smart 4 cell
charger that monitors each cell - mainly because I wanted to be able to
charge single AAA for .mp3 player. I got that from
http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html
Dave Cohen
Old December 28th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

wrote in message
At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated
at that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more
times?

No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry.

Old December 28th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."

Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate on
this a little.
Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 28th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

wrote in message
"No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."

Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate
on this a little.
Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

Google for electrochemistry, reduction potential and try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar...rode_potential