cold-weather usage

Old December 28th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default cold-weather usage

pboud wrote:
Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
Hi,

Actually, people going out on a trek for photos, wearing
parkas, generally sweat.. and since there's nowhere for the
moisture to *go*.....

Sweating is a very bad thing if you are out where it's very
cold. You get wet. Wet and very cold are a dangerous
combination! Even though I now live in south Texas, I lived
in Iceland for 35 years. Granted it doesn't get horribly cold
there (doesn't get very warm either but you can get into
serious trouble if you allow yourself to sweat when it's very
cold. Better to keep cool and dry than warm and wet.

I know.. I'm in Alberta Canada, and we see temps around -30 /-40
for a part of winter (*really* mild this winter though)

I'm just pointing out that it *can* happen..
(fully agreed with the dry vs wet thing in winter.)

But that *was* described in the article you responded to as if
it had not been mentioned.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old December 28th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi,

I know.. I'm in Alberta Canada, and we see temps around -30 /-40 for a
part of winter (*really* mild this winter though)

I'm just pointing out that it *can* happen..
(fully agreed with the dry vs wet thing in winter.)

No problem I have bad memories of being really, really cold after
sweating while hiking in Iceland when I was younger I've only limited
experience of taking my DSLR out in cold weather in Iceland. I kept it
under my coat and it seemed to be fine. It was only like -7 to 9C or so, so
it wasn't all that cold.

--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old December 28th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pboud

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
pboud wrote:
Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
[...]

English is a second language, so some reading difficulties are to be
expected..

P.
Old December 28th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pboud

Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
Hi,

I know.. I'm in Alberta Canada, and we see temps around -30 /-40 for a
part of winter (*really* mild this winter though)

I'm just pointing out that it *can* happen..
(fully agreed with the dry vs wet thing in winter.)

No problem I have bad memories of being really, really cold after
sweating while hiking in Iceland when I was younger I've only limited
experience of taking my DSLR out in cold weather in Iceland. I kept it
under my coat and it seemed to be fine. It was only like -7 to 9C or so, so
it wasn't all that cold.

Yah.. I've taken pics in -40, but it was "out of the shelter, freeze a
bit, set the shot, take the shot, back in the warm, heated, comfie shelter..

I haven't had to work in that type of temp in a while..

P.

Cold weather and shutter Richard Knoppow Large Format Photography Equipment 11 December 19th 05 03:15 AM
Digital SLR in cold weather. Claude Digital SLR Cameras 10 October 23rd 05 03:24 AM
COLD weather Digital Photography 33 February 22nd 05 01:21 AM
Cold Weather Mont Digital Photography 0 January 19th 05 03:17 PM
Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM