cold-weather usage

Old December 28th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default cold-weather usage

Ron Hunter wrote:

And when you put it BACK under your coat, what happens?

Generally, nothing.

There isn't enough moisture in the warm air inside your coat to
be a problem. Which is to say, the dew point will be lower than
the outside temperature, rather than just lower than the
temperature of the warm air inside your coat.

The reason for that is because the air inside your coat is
supplied from the environment outside of your coat. It has
already lost any excess moisture, before it is warmed up to the
inside temperature. Hence no moisture will condense when it is
cooled to that same temperature again.

An exception to that would be if you engage is some very serious
exercise, and sweat profusely. For example if you run along a
path taking pictures of something, and in the process create
enough moisture inside your coat to be very damp, then putting
the cold camera inside the coat would likely fog it.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Old December 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:12:46 -0800, jefralston wrote:

I'm reading the instructions for my new Pentax DSLR that say the
camera's operating range is 0 degrees Centigrade or higher. Where I
live it won't be above freezing until May. What kind of results can I
expect if I'm taking pictures outside at 20 degrees below (Farenheit)??

So, keep the camera inside your jacket with you until you're ready to take
pictures, that's what I do. It works fine.

Old December 28th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:
So before buying my new camera I inquired at the manufacturer's technical
dept.

They confirmed that operating temperature to be 0 - 40C (32 - 104F) and the
humidity 10 - 90%.

The specifications for a Nikon D2x are the same for temperature,
and humidity at less than 85% with no condensation.

Hence for a typical Point&Shoot camera, that can't be considered
a bad deal... :-)

I then asked if the camera could perform under and above these
specifications.

I would not assume that it will continue without damage if the
humidity is higher than 90%. It's just a matter of how much
damage, not if there will be damage.

The same is perhaps essentially true about operation a low
temperatures. It will cause wear on moving parts, and possible
breakage. But that is so unlikely to ever be actually
significant that I can't imagine being concerned about it.

For both over and under temperature operation the typical result
will be that the camera becomes non-function, but only as long
as the adverse temperature conditions last. No permanent
damage...

They replied yes, but if the camera is returned for repair under warranty
and condensation or water contamination is found the warranty is void. I
replied by saying that it was not logical. Then I asked around and learned
that all manufacturers have roughly the same rules.

I don't see that as illogical. It's simple: you get the camera
wet, no matter how you do it, and that is *your* fault.

The alternative is a *much* more expensive camera that has
significantly better seals for all places where air and water
can enter the camera. It can be done, but who is going to buy
such a camera?

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old December 28th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
U-Know-Who

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm reading the instructions for my new Pentax DSLR that say the
camera's operating range is 0 degrees Centigrade or higher. Where I
live it won't be above freezing until May. What kind of results can I
expect if I'm taking pictures outside at 20 degrees below (Farenheit)??

Most likely an image with a lot of snow in it. :-)

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 28th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The alternative is a *much* more expensive camera that has
significantly better seals for all places where air and water
can enter the camera. It can be done, but who is going to buy
such a camera?

Point well taken,

I have some feedback on this newsgroups from people working in the
Philippines.

As the humidify is always high, people are replacing their camera more
often.

Some name is preferred over others. One Hong Kong manufacturer is selling a
look a like Canon camera under the name of Cannon. This camera is
relatively low priced and appears to work well in the Philippines.

I was musing about the idea that this camera could work as well in cold
weather. It could be nick named the AK 47 of the photography world.

Old December 28th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pboud

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]

Actually, people going out on a trek for photos, wearing parkas,
generally sweat.. and since there's nowhere for the moisture to *go*.....

P.
Old December 28th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi,

Actually, people going out on a trek for photos, wearing parkas, generally
sweat.. and since there's nowhere for the moisture to *go*.....

Sweating is a very bad thing if you are out where it's very cold. You get
wet. Wet and very cold are a dangerous combination! Even though I now live
in south Texas, I lived in Iceland for 35 years. Granted it doesn't get
horribly cold there (doesn't get very warm either but you can get into
serious trouble if you allow yourself to sweat when it's very cold. Better
to keep cool and dry than warm and wet.
--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old December 28th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pboud

Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
Hi,

Actually, people going out on a trek for photos, wearing parkas, generally
sweat.. and since there's nowhere for the moisture to *go*.....

Sweating is a very bad thing if you are out where it's very cold. You get
wet. Wet and very cold are a dangerous combination! Even though I now live
in south Texas, I lived in Iceland for 35 years. Granted it doesn't get
horribly cold there (doesn't get very warm either but you can get into
serious trouble if you allow yourself to sweat when it's very cold. Better
to keep cool and dry than warm and wet.

I know.. I'm in Alberta Canada, and we see temps around -30 /-40 for a
part of winter (*really* mild this winter though)

I'm just pointing out that it *can* happen..
(fully agreed with the dry vs wet thing in winter.)
P.
Old December 28th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

pboud wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]

My apologies. I'm used to people who live in the Arctic and
*know* something about it, and deal with real cold.

If you sweat in your parka enough to accumulate significant
moisture (at say -40), you are going to ****ing *die*.

Hence it is second nature here to avoid that! :-)

It should be loose enough and/or breath well enough to get rid
of moisture, with no build up.

The single exception to that is bunny boots, where the
insulation includes a vapor barrier to keep moisture in is part
of the way it works. Parkas (and mukluks) don't work that way.

Of course *your* point is that not everyone who wears a parka
actually lives in the Arctic or knows how to use one. Someone
wearing an ill fitting parka at -5C and doing what we would
think of as "dumb things" is indeed likely to accumulate
significant moisture, and if they are hiking around the block
they will not end up freezing to death, but might well fog their
camera. That of course is why I mentioned the scenario that I
did.

People who are going to visit or live where it is significant
(the OP mentioned -20F, which is about where this starts being
serious business) will need to learn how to dress and manage
their environment for safety first, not just for cameras.

But then, that's why a said "generally" nothing would happen.
Obviously there are exceptions. What I'm trying to do is
describe the mechanisms well enough that someone can use their
own judgment. I'm not into rules of thumb...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Cold weather and shutter Richard Knoppow Large Format Photography Equipment 11 December 19th 05 03:15 AM
Digital SLR in cold weather. Claude Digital SLR Cameras 10 October 23rd 05 03:24 AM
COLD weather Digital Photography 33 February 22nd 05 01:21 AM
Cold Weather Mont Digital Photography 0 January 19th 05 03:17 PM
Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM