scanning colour slides

Old December 27th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default scanning colour slides

I am not ready to dismiss the flatbed scanner yet.
yes, Nikon has the popular vote to be one of the best if not the best.
I would like to compare some sample gallery of 40 years old slides scanned
with an Nikon and Epson perfection 4490.
That would confirm that the dedicated scanner is the best tool for the job
or it may shown some interesting results for the Epson flatbed scanner?

"Ockham's Razor" wrote in message
Gregory Blank wrote:

In article NGhkh.526319$5R2.237872@pd7urf3no,
gA wrote:

Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

You need a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter.

If he values the content of the slides he is scanning he will use a
dedicated slide/film strip scanner. There is a Nikon for about 600.00
that beats every flat bed scanner out there. For higher level work
there are even more capable scanners.

And, use Vue Scan software.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Old December 27th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

wrote:
I am not ready to dismiss the flatbed scanner yet.
yes, Nikon has the popular vote to be one of the best if not the best.
I would like to compare some sample gallery of 40 years old slides scanned
with an Nikon and Epson perfection 4490.
That would confirm that the dedicated scanner is the best tool for the job
or it may shown some interesting results for the Epson flatbed scanner?

Here's what I got comparing _someone else's scan on a 4800 ppi Epson_ with
my scan on a Nikon 8000 (which is a 4000 ppi scanner for medium format) of
the same slide.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078324/original
http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078325

There's a world of difference _when viewed at full resolution_, both in
terms of highlight detail and shadow detail.

This is a recent Provia 100F slide taken with one of the best medium format
lenses ever made (the Mamiya 43/4.5 for the Mamiya 7). Remember, YMMV. (In
particular, some people think the Epsons can do better than this, although I
don't.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 27th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gA

Thank you all for providing answers. It's obvious, by the sanples,
that the Nikon 8000 produces the best quality. However, I feel a
little uncomfortable spending all that money (approx. $750 CAD)
for one-time conversion. I won't be taking any more slides and
once the conversion is over, I will find out that the project was
indeed an expensive proposition. Cheers,
- gA

Old December 27th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:47:40 GMT, gA wrote:
Thank you for your quick reply, Jonesy. I should have asked "what
is the best and cheapest way to convert slides to digital".

I saw
your device and I am impressed by the quality of the result.

Point of order: You did not see _my_ device. That URL covered the
original work of someone else. I merely reproduced the "prior art".
But, my device does not deviate much from what yoy see at that URL.
So, FWIW, the results are reproducible.

Is there any improvement that can be made to this procedure?

I believe the inside of the tube should be painted flat black.
You wouldn't think that *cardboard* would present a reflection problem,
but it does. Or, at least I saw it in my implementation.

GL with your project.
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm

Old December 27th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

wrote in message
Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post.
Is the left view scanned with an Epson 4870 and the right view with the
Nikon 8000?

The good side's the 8000.

Old December 27th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

It looks that the Nikon 8000 is superior to the Epson 4890.
Too bad I just bought an Epson 4490.

Nikon.ca are showing no Nikon 8000 but instead they have a 9000 with a mrsp
of $2599.95 CAD before taxes.
They have the 5000 at $1339.95CAD and the V ED at $739.95 CAD.
In order to have a comparable match produced by the Nikon 8000 I would have
to purchase the 9000.
Or maybe the V ED at $739.95 CAD can perform the same as the 9000 which I
have some doubt?

Old December 27th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

gA wrote:
Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

What do you intend to do with the scanned images.
Like most processes, the cost of the duplication process increases
exponentially as the quality of the result.
If you don't have a whole lot of slides (say 100-300) you can send them
off and have them scanned pretty inexpensively.
See: http://www.discountdigitalart.com/slides.html
Scanning a lot of slides is a real PIA and a real time consumer.
Bob Williams

Old December 27th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

wrote:
It looks that the Nikon 8000 is superior to the Epson 4890.
Too bad I just bought an Epson 4490.

Not at all. The 4490 should be more than you need for web and smaller
prints. You may even be happy with 8x10 prints. And you can learn about
scanning without spending gobs of money.

Nikon.ca are showing no Nikon 8000 but instead they have a 9000 with a
mrsp of $2599.95 CAD before taxes.

Sorry. Nikon makes two scanner lines: one for up to 24x36 mm slides, and one
for up to 56x83mm slides. The 8000 and 9000 are the big ones. I have the
8000, the 9000 is the newer model.

But if you only have 35mm slides, you don't need the 9000. You only need the
5000 or the V.

They have the 5000 at $1339.95CAD and the V ED at $739.95 CAD.
In order to have a comparable match produced by the Nikon 8000 I would
have to purchase the 9000.
Or maybe the V ED at $739.95 CAD can perform the same as the 9000 which I
have some doubt?

Yes. The V is a good scanner. The 9000 is only expensive because it handles
much larger film.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan