Books on Composition, developing an "Eye"?

Old April 3rd 04, 09:21 PM
William J. Slater

Default Books on Composition, developing an "Eye"?

I've come to the point where I feel I need to study others or
professional's photos to determine what I like about them. I would
like to try to learn something about general composition, lighting,
framing, etc. I've got the basics down on what diffent lenses do,
shutter speed, appature, depth of field, filters (for the most part),
etc. I do need to work on lighting and how to use it effectively.

What I would like to know is if anyone has suggestions on books or
names of photograhers to purchase and study their work? I am not
trying to be a professional just want to learn to take better
pictures. I travel a bit, I like macro photography, photographing
antiques, the wifes gardens and birds and generally experimenting with
new ideas and techniques. Pretty wide range I guess.

TIA for any and all suggestions.
Old April 4th 04, 12:14 AM
ian green

"William J. Slater" :
m...
I've come to the point where I feel I need to study others or
professional's photos to determine what I like about them. I would
like to try to learn something about general composition, lighting,
framing, etc.

i'm reading now some text from www.photoinf.com
try it - may be you'll find something of value to you

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old April 4th 04, 05:45 PM
William J. Slater

Ian,

Thanks for the reply, I'm logging into the URL you provided as I type
this. I'll check it out.

Bill Slater
Old April 4th 04, 11:55 PM
ian green

"William J. Slater" :
m...

Thanks for the reply, I'm logging into the URL you provided as I type
this. I'll check it out.

if you have enough browsing time look through alt.photography rec.photo.misc
rec.photo.technique.art & other rec.photo.* newsgroups - some usefull urls
can be found for sure.
luck

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old April 5th 04, 02:55 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/books.html and mf/magazines.html for resources

Books on photography and art seem to accumulate, here are some related to
topics you noted in my library:

on Composition:
Bradshaw, Ian Pro Techniques of Creative Photography
Bruck, Alex Practical Composition in Photography
Busselle, Michael Master Photography
Busselle, Micheal Take Better Pictures
Feininger Photographic Seeing
Feininger Principles of Composition in Photography
Feininger Successful Photography
Freeman, Michael Achieving Photographic Style
Freeman, Michael Image (Amphoto Workshop)
Grill, Tom & Mark Scanlon Photographic Composition
Grill, Tom and Scanlon, M. Twenty-Five Projects to Improve Your Photography
Harkins Photography - the Guide to Technique
Hasselblad Photographic Vision
Hasselblad Square Composition
Hasselblad The Eye, the Camera, The Image
Hedgecoe, John Taking Great Photographs
HP How to Compose Better Photos
HP How to Improve Your Photography
HP How to Take Pictures Like a Pro
Jacobs, Lou Jr. How to Take Great Pictures with Your SLR
Jacobs, Lou Jr. Developing Your Own Photographic Style
Joel, Yale Personal Photoguide #17 Supersnapshots #18
Jonas, Paul Photographic Composition (Simplified)
Kodak Art of Seeing (Workshop)
Kodak (Encyclopedia) Learning from the Experts
Kodak (Encyclopedia) Mastering Composition
Kodak (Encyclopedia) Photographing the Drama of Everyday Life
Langford, Michael Creative Photography
Mante, Harald Photo Design - Picture Composition for B & W Photography
Nelson, George How to See
O'Brien Michael; N. Sibley Photographic Eye (revised ed.)
Patterson, Freeman Photography and the Art of Seeing
Patterson, Freeman Photography for the Joy of It
Patterson, Freeman Photography of Natural Things
Peterson, Bryan Learning to See Creatively
Stroebel, L; Todd, Zakia Visual Concepts for Photographers
Varney Photographer as Designer

on landscape:
Adams, Ansel Ansel Adams Images 1923-1974 (Wallace Stegner fwd)
Adams, Ansel Ansel Adams in Color (by Harry Callahan)
Adams, Ansel Images of the American West (by Wrigley, Richard)
Adams, Ansel Mural Project (Peter Wright & John Armur)
Adams, Ansel Portfolios of Ansel Adams (John Szarkowski) (hbk) (2 $3)
Adams, Ansel Spirit of Wild Places (by Eric Nash)
Adams, Ansel Yosemite and the Range of Light
Ansel Adams (Muir text) America's Wilderness (by Parker..)
Atkeson, Ray Pacific Sea and Shore (hbk)
Bischof, Werner Japan as Photographed by Werner Bischof (pbk)
Blacklock, Les & Russell, A. High West, The
Bones, Jim Rio Grande - Mountains to the Sea
Bruck, Axel Landscape Photography in Practice
Callahan, Harry Ansel Adams in Color (by Harry Callahan)
Dana, Levy, L.B. O'connor Spectacular America (oversize lg hbk -
Muench, D)
Fielder, John California - Imags of the Landscape
Fitzharris, Tim Rocky Mountains - Wilderness Reflections
Frost, Lee Personal Views: Art of Colour Landscape
Goldstein, M. & C. Beall Nomads of Western Tibet
Harris, Bill Wisconsin
Hartman, William American Desert
Hazelhoff, Fred Four Seasons of Nature
Hedgecoe, John Landscape Photography - Complete Guide
Hines, Sherman Alberta (lg hbk)
Hines, Sherman Nova Scotia (Lg hbk)
Jenkinson, Michael Wilderness Rivers of America (lg hbk)
Johnson, Peter Okavango - Sea of Land (SW Africa)
Ketchum, Robert Tsongas, the (Alaskan)
Krell, Dorothy Beautiful California
Krell, Dorothy Beautiful Northwest (Sunset pub).
Kubota, Hiroji From Sea to Shining Sea - A Portrait of America
Lamb, Russell Wyoming
Leighton, Douglas Canadian Rockies
Morrow, Pat and Baiba Yukon, The
Muench, David American Landscape
Muench, David Desert Images (vry lg hbk, was $60 at halfprice)
Muench, David Sierra Nevada (LF lg hbk)
Muench, David This Great Land
Muench, Josef Arizona II (LF hbk)
Muench, Josef et. Al. Arizona (33 framing prints panoramics)
Nichols, John A Fragile Beauty (Taos N.M.)
Rowell, Galen Galen Rowell's Vision
Shirakawa, Yoshikazu Eternal America (big hbk)
Shirakawa, Yoshikazu Himalayas (big big hbk)
Sierra Club Last Redwoods & the Parkland of Redwood Creek (pbk)
Smith, Clyde New Hampshire
Smith, Clyde H. Adirondacks
Smith, Clyde H. Alaska - A Scenic Discovery
Smith, Clyde H. Coastal Maine
Sutton Yellowstone (hbk)
Szarkowski, John Portfolios of Ansel Adams
Thornton, Gene Landscape Photography - Art & Techniq. Of 8 Modern Masters
Ulrich, Larry Arizona (large format shots)
Vega, Pablo Silent Landscapes (Andes)
Wakefield, Paul Britain - A World by Itself (hbk)
Weisel, Dorian Fire on the Mountain (Volcanoes)
Wolfe, Art, Art Davidson Light on the Land (vry lg hbk)
Wright, Peter & John Armur Ansel Adams - Mural Project
Wright, Richard & Herger, Bob Canadian Rockies
Wrigley, Richard Ansel Adams - Images of the American West

on closeups:
Cooper, Joseph; Joe Abbott Nikon Compendium - CloseUp Photography and
Copying
Ericksen, Leif etc. Adventures in Closeup Photography
Hasselblad Closeup Photography (2)
HP Closeup Photography - Basic Guide to
HP How to Photograph Closeup Photographs
Kodak Closeup Photogr. And PhotoMacro Photogr N12
Kodak Closeup Photography (Workshop)
Petersen's Closeup Photography
Grillone & Gennaro Small Worlds Closeup
Kodak Photography Through the Microscope (lg ) P-2
Marten, M. J. Chestermann Worlds within Worlds - Journey into Unknown

and on natu
Amos, William H. Wildlife of the Islands
Angel Nature Photography - Its Art and Technique
Angel, Heather Book of Closeup Photography
Angel, Heather Book of Nature Photography
Angel, Heather Pandas - World Wildlife Library (lg hbk)
Angel, Heather Photographing nature - seashore
Angel, Heather Photographing the Animal World (2)
Annerino, John Canyons of the Southwest
anonymous Astroprints Photographed at the Hale Observatory
Arizona Highways Desert Splendor (pbk, lg magazine)
Ash, russell Impressionist Seasons (hbk)
Atkeson, R & Tom Barr Portrait of Oregon
Atkeson, Ray Pacific Coast
Atkeson, Ray & A. Satterfield Washington II
Atkeson, Roy Washington (state)
Atkeson, Roy (David Muench) California
Audobon Soc. Familiar Flowers of North America - Eastern Region
Audobon Soc. Familiar Flowers of North America - Western Region
Baer, Morley Wilder Shore, The
Barta, Vladimir Tatry (Slovakia mountains)
Bauer, Edwin and Peggy Photographing Wild Texas
Bauer, Erwin Outdoor Photography (2- pbk and hbk)
Bauer, Erwin & Peggy Outdoor Photography Digest
Bauer, Erwin and Peggy Denali - Wild Beauty of Denali National Park
Baufle, J.M.+ J.P. Varin Photographing Wildlife (translated from French)
Beardsley, John Gardens of Revelation (oddball garden projects)
Bennett, Edna Modern - Nature Photography (Simplified)
Bessette, alan; WJ Sundberg Field guide to mushrooms (mcMillan)
Blacklock, Craig and Nadine Photographing Wildflowers
Blaker, Alfred Field Photography
Blaker, Alfred Field Photography Field Use Data Guide
Bowen, Jim America's Living Past
Braasch, Gary Entering the Grove (nature photos)
Braasch, Gary Photographing the Patterns of Nature
Brooks, David How to Photograph Landscapes and Scenic Views
Brown, Ernest; D Cavagnaro Living Water
Brown, Joseph E. Lure of the Sea
Brown, Kenneth American Legacy - Our National Forests
Bruemier, Fred Arctic World (big hbk)
Brybycin, G Wilderness Odyssey
Bull & Farrand Jr. (sp?) Audobon Society Field Guide to N. Amer.
Birds- Eastern Reg.
Burian, Peter, Caputo, Robert National Geographic Field Guide
Burton, Robert Nature's Night Life (strobe etc.)
Campbell, Charles Backpacker's Photography Handbook
Campbell, Laurie Royal Society Guide to Bird and Nature Photography
Carleton, Ray Wildlife of the Polar Regions
Caulfield, Pat Photographing Wildlife
Caulfield, Patricia Capturing the Landscape with Your Camera
Chenevierre, Alain Himalayas, The (hbk)
Chester, Carole Chicago
Collier, Graham & P.G. Antarctica Odyssey (hbk)
Collingwood, GH WD Grash Know Your Trees
Cotton, Chris Pandas
Cousteau, J Jacques Cousteau's Amazon Journey handbook
Dalton, Stephen Caught in Motion - (High Speed Nature Photography)
Davis, William & J. Nichols Rebirth of Nature - If Mountains Die (New
Mexico)
Delgado, James P. American National Parks
Di Silvestro, Roger Audobon - Rebirth of Nature
Faulkner, Douglas This Living Reef
Fell, Derek How to Photograph Flowers, Plants, and Landscape
Fielder, John Colorado's Hidden Valleys (lg hbk)
Fisher, Ron Our Threatened Inheritance (2)
Fitzharris, Tim Nature Photography
Fitzharris, Tim Sierra Club Guide to 35mm Landscape Photography
Fitzharris, Tim Wild Bird Photography
Flattau,J; R. Gibson;A. Lewis Landscape: Theory (essays)
Fleming, Mark Churchill - Polar Bear Capital of the World
Freeman, Michael How to Take Great Nature and Wildlife Photos
Freeman, Michael Manual of Outdoor Photography (2)
Freeman, Michael Wildlife and Nature Photographer's Guide
Freese, Rick (sp?) Reefs in color (~?) (lg thin hbk)
Gates, Henry L. Wonders of the African World
Gibbons, Bob & P. Wilson Wildlife Photographer
Godfrey, Michael A Closer Look
Goldstein, Milton Magnificent West - Grand Canyon
Gordon, Jonathan Whales
Graham, Osborne Wildflowers of N. America by Seasonal Splendors
Gray, William National Geographic Pacific Coast Trail
Grill and Scanlon Art of Scenic Photography
Haas, Ernst The Creation (pbk and hbk $3 9/7)
Harrington, Richard Antarctic (lg pbk)
Harris, Bill Grand Canyon A Picture Memory (thin hbk)
Hartman, William Desert Heart (sonoran desert hbk)
Hasselblad Landscape Photography (4)
Hasselblad Underwater Photography
Hasselblad Wildlife Photography (5)
Hedgecoe, John Practical Landscape Photography
Hicks, Roger 35mm Panoramics
Higgs, David Mountain Photography
Hilscher, Hilary;Simmerman,M Alaska II
Hinde, Gerald & Wm Taylor An African Experience (lg hbk)
Holmasen, Ingmar Nature Photography ('blad uv etc.) [2nd @$1]
Holmes, Susan Flowers of the World
Hosking, Eric, J. Goodas Wildlife Photography A Field Guide (hbk)
Hula, David Beauty of Autumn (hbk)
Hyde, Philip Drylands (lg hbk)
Imus, Don + Fred Imus Two Guys Four Corners (Humor)
Izzi, G. and F. Mezzatesta Complete Manual of Nature Photography
(hbk)
Jaffe, Andrew Alaska - Southeast to McKinley
Jeffers Not Man Apart (Sierra Club style)
Jeffers, Robinson Not Man Apart (9/16 $1.50 hbk)
Jeklin, Isidor + Donald Waite Art of Photographing North American Birds
Joel, Yale Special Effects #15 Seasons #16
Joel, Yale Viewpoints #11 Nature and Still Life #12
Johnson, Paul R. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (lg pbk)
Jones, A. S. British Museum Book of Flowers (ancient to now)
Jussim & Lindquist Landscape as Photograph
Kalman, Debbie Arctic Animals (pbk)
Kauffman, R (text, John Muir) Gentle Wilderness - Sierra Nevada
Kaufman ...tained Alaska
King, Paul Mountains of America
Kinne Complete Book of Nature Photography
Kirk, Ruth Exploring Yellowstone (hbk)
Kleiman, Bill, Roger M Dodd Under the Mountain
Klots Insects of North America (field guide)
Kodak Landscape Photography
Kodak Scenic Photography
Kodak (Encyclopedia) Capture the Beauty in Nature
Kodak (Encyclopedia) Photographing Buildings and Landscapes
Krasemann, Stephen Preserving Eden - the Nature Conservancy
Kreh, Lefty L.L. Bean Guide to Outdoor Photography
Kress, Stephen Audobon Soc. Handbook for Birders
Lange, Joseph K. How to Photograph Landscapes
Lefkowitz, Lester Manual of Closeup Photography (2)
Li, Yuan Expressionist Landscape
Life (Nature Library) Desert, The
Life (Nature Library) Insects, The
Llewellyn, Robert Upland Virginia, Mr. Jefferson's
Lockwood Gulf Coast, The
Lockwood, C.C. Atchafalaya - America's Largest River Basin Swamp
London and Bayer Photographing Outdoors
Louise, Mary & S.G. and J.H. Our Vanishing Wilderness
Lowe, Don Alpine Country of the West
Lynch, Wayne A is for Arctic (alphabetical topics in arctic
photography..)
Manchee Our Heritage of Flowers
Matthiessen, Peter East of Lo Monthang (pbk)
McCardy, John Chang Of All Things Most Yielding (Friends of the
Earth)
McCartney, Susan Nature and Wildlife Photography
McDonald, Joe Practical Guide to Photographing American Wildlife
McDonald, Joe Wildlife Photographers Field Manual
McQuilkin, Robert Outdoor Photography Workbook
Mech, L. David Arctic Wolf - Living with the Pack
Meehan, Joseph Panoramic Photographic (3)
Mendell, Edward Bevy of Beasts (hasselblad photos) (hbk)
Miller, George Texas Photo Safaris
Miller, George (Tx Monthly) Field Guide to Wildlife in Texas and the
S.W. (Texas Monthly)
Miller, Ray Texas Parks
Milliner, Douglas Photoguide to Mountains for Beginners
Moncio, Jorchio (sp?) World Beneath the Sea, The
Morgan, Lael Alaska's Native People's Handbook
Muench Pro Techniques of Landscape Photography
Muench, David California II
Muench, David Colorado
Muench, David Eternal Desert (w. Frank Waters) very lg hbk
Muench, David Lewis and Clark Country
Muench, David Nature's America (lg hbk
Muench, David New Mexico (2)
Muench, David New Mexico II (hbk)
Muench, David Rocky Mountains
Muench, David Washington Shores (with S. Gill) hbk
Muench, David & M. Muench California (new series)
Muench, David & M. Muench California II
Muench, David (R Atkeson) California
Muir, John (text) American Wilderness
Murfin, james (ed.) Sierra Club Guide to the National Parks- Desert
Southwest
Museum of Modern Art The Photographer and the American Landscape
Nagele, Edmund (RCPS) Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies
Nalchik Bank Caucasus - Eternity in Stone (Russian/English)
Nisbet, Jack Dsinging Grass, Burning Sage (Discover Wash Shrub Steppe)
Norton Wilderness Photography
Norton, Boyd Art of Outdoor Photography
Norton, Boyd Mountain Gorilla
Norton, Boyd Photojournal
Oberrecht, Kenn Outdoor Photographer's Handbook
O'hara & Robertson Yosemite National Park - Natural Masterpieces in
Stone (2)
Patterson, Freeman Namaqualand - Gardens of the Gods
Patterson, Freeman Portraits of Earth
Patterson, Freeman World Around You (photo design course)
Peterson, Moose Wildlife Photography - Getting Started
Peterson, R.T. Field Guide to the Birds of Texas
Pfeiffer, C.B. Orvis Guide to Outdoor Photography
Pittman, Blair Texas Big Thicket (lg hbk thin)
Porter, Eliot Adventures with America's Birds - Moments of Discovery
Porter, Eliot American Places (2)
Porter, Eliot Antarctica
Porter, Eliot Appalachian Wilderness (2 pbk) (1 hbk $1 8/3; $3 hbk 9/3)
Porter, Eliot Down the Colorado (River)
Porter, Eliot Eliot Porter (self-titled hbk)
Porter, Eliot Greek World, The (lg hbk)[9/13 $3 hbk)
Porter, Eliot Iceland (lg hbk)
Porter, Eliot In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (hardback)
Porter, Eliot In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (paperback)
Porter, Eliot Maine
Porter, Eliot Summer Island (abridged lg pbk)
Porter, Eliot &P Matthiessen The Tree Where Man Was Born / African
Experience
Porter, Eliot + James Glick Nature's Chaos
Priess, Bryan Secret World of Pandas, The (oversize)
Pritzker, Barry Ansel Adams
Ralkin, Richardo and Jacob Nature in the West (a handbook of nature,
critters..)
Randklen, James Georgia - Images Of Wilderness
Rayfield, S and Guilfoyle A Wildlife Photographers - Ten Masters
Richardson, Carrier Colorado - A River at Risk (lg pbk)
Rockefeller Williamsburg Va. 1969 President's Report
Roessler, Carl Mastering Underwater Photography
Rokach, A. and Millman, A. Field Guide to Photographing Flowers
Rokach, A. and Millman, A. Field Guide to Photographing Gardens
Rotman,JL and J Levine Undersea Life
Rowell, Galen Alaska - Images of the Country (hbk) [3] w. John McPhee
Rowell, Galen Art of Adventure
Rowell, Galen High and Wild
Rowell, Galen Mountain Light [2]
Rowell, Galen Poles Apart (exploring Arctic and Antarctic photos)
Rue, L.L. How I Photograph Wildlife and Nature
Ruff, Ann Texas Zoos and Animal Parks
Rummel, Hal Beautiful Utah
Schneck, Marion Patterns in Nature (hbk)
Schottle, Lohar Photographing Landscapes
Schullery, Paul (ed.) Echoes from the Summit
Seal, C. Thoreau's Maine Woods - Yesterday and Today
Shaw, John Closeups in Nature
Shaw, John Focus on Nature
Shaw, John Landscape Photography
Shaw, John Nature Photographer's Guide to Professional Field
Techniques
Shaw, John and Larry West Visions of the Wild (lg hbk, thin) (1980)
autographed by both
Sheffield, Charles Earthwatch
Smith, Clyde New England (lg hbk)
Smithsonian Magnificent Foragers
Sommer, Robin Pacific Northwest
Struthers, John Life in an African Pool (animals at water pool..)
Sunderson, Wm The Continent We Live On - North America
Sutton, Ann and Myron Wild Shores of North America
Teale, E.W. Photographs of American Nature (B&W; hbk)
Thomas, Bill Swamp, The
True, Dan Hummingbirds of North America (hbk) & Photogr
Valli, E. D. Summers Shadow Hunters of Tiger Cave (Bird Nests lg hbk)
van Denbeld, John Nature of Australia
Van Khuan, Ernst Invisible Made Visible
Vendrome, Carey (ed.) Yellowstone National Park
Wallin Basics of Underwater Photography
Ward, John Colorado - Magnificent Wilderness
Wenkam, Robert Edge of Fire (lg hbk)
Whitaker Jr., John Audobon Soc. Field Guide to N. Amer. Mammals
Wills, Motz, .. Roadside Flowers of Texas
Wolf, Art Art of Photographing Nature
Wolf, Paul Cole Weston - At Home and Abroad (Aperture)
Wolfe, Art Migrations
Wolfe, Art + D. Chadwick Kingdom, The (2)
Woods, G. + J. Williams Creative Techniques in Landscape Photography
World Wildlife Fund Living Elements
Wuerthner, George Beautiful America's Alaska
Zuckerman, Jim Prof. Pg's Gd Shooting & Selling Nature & Wildlife Photos

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old April 5th 04, 08:40 PM
William J. Slater

Wow Bob!

What a gold mine of information you've so kindly provided. It is
exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. This will keep me busy
studying for quite a while..... ;^D I'm printing out your list as I
type this.

Thank you.

Bill Slater
Old April 6th 04, 04:15 PM
William J. Slater

Ian,

The URL you provided is very interesting. The very 1st article from
the US Navy was quite good in laying out the basics of composition.
I'm now printing out the second article to read.

Thanks again!

Bill Slater
Old April 6th 04, 09:24 PM
ian green

"William J. Slater" :
m...

The URL you provided is very interesting. The very 1st article from
the US Navy was quite good in laying out the basics of composition.
I'm now printing out the second article to read.

i got this link from alt.photography a couple of weeks back
me myself downloaded the whole site with webzip to read it slowly at
evenings with tea & cigarettes

in fact there are tons of pages about composition out there waiting to be
found
naturally you'll need to read 1% max of them
other 99.(9)% are repeating same things over & over again

i think it's more effective that way:
1. read some articles describing basic things
2. try to photograph keeping those ideas in your mind
3. review you own photography according to rules
4. try to shoot differently

Thanks again!

good to be of help
luck

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old April 7th 04, 02:05 PM
William J. Slater

Ian,

(from your post)
i got this link from alt.photography a couple of weeks back
me myself downloaded the whole site with webzip to read it slowly at
evenings with tea & cigarettes

I've not heard of "Webzip", what is that? Is it a download I can use
and if so do you have a URL to find it at? Some of the articles are
cut off on the right hand side of the page when I try to print them
out.

in fact there are tons of pages about composition out there waiting to be
found naturally you'll need to read 1% max of them other 99.(9)% are
repeating same things over & over again

i think it's more effective that way:
1. read some articles describing basic things
2. try to photograph keeping those ideas in your mind
3. review you own photography according to rules
4. try to shoot differently

Definitely very good suggestions. The books that I have read have
mostly assumed that the reader already knew about the basics and went
on from there. I did not know any of those things like the "Rule of
3rds" or "Golden Mean", etc. Now I will have that information to use
in assessing my efforts as well as the work of others that I like. I
knew it had to be out there but was not sure just what to search for.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill Slater
Old April 7th 04, 04:22 PM
ian green

"William J. Slater" :
m...

me myself downloaded the whole site with webzip to read it slowly at
evenings with tea & cigarettes

I've not heard of "Webzip", what is that? Is it a download I can use
and if so do you have a URL to find it at? Some of the articles are
cut off on the right hand side of the page when I try to print them
out.

yes WebZip is site download utility from SpiderSoft
mine is version 4.1.0.680 from 2001 year
their site is www.spidersoft.com
i use it sometimes for off-line reading
good for me
there's more new versions but i like the one i have

i think it's more effective that way:
1. read some articles describing basic things
2. try to photograph keeping those ideas in your mind
3. review you own photography according to rules
4. try to shoot differently

Definitely very good suggestions. The books that I have read have
mostly assumed that the reader already knew about the basics and went
on from there. I did not know any of those things like the "Rule of
3rds" or "Golden Mean", etc. Now I will have that information to use
in assessing my efforts as well as the work of others that I like. I
knew it had to be out there but was not sure just what to search for.

in fact you can find and use any good books on composition from graphic,
design, illustration, etc field
the art of composition is still only some composition techniques + your own
view
the last part is most valuable, meaningful & hard to find

Thanks again for all your help.

never mind
i've found so much info on usenet it's only natural i share something
valuable with other participants
luck

--

ian green