Moon direction finder

Old July 25th 18, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Moon direction finder

Hi,

There is going to bee a Moon eclipse this Friday, a Red Moon.

Now I wonder, is there some application or web page that shows in a map
of any location in what exact direction the Moon is going to be at a
given day and hour?

That is, I want to plan where to go and take photos of the Moon, to see
what obstacles are on the way of my shots.

A web page would be fine, or an Android application.

It is not a star map, that I have. And yes, it tells me the moon
location at the time needed, but then I have to calculate the position
on the landscape by hand and paper.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old July 25th 18, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

Old July 25th 18, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

wrote:

Hi,

There is going to bee a Moon eclipse this Friday, a Red Moon.

Now I wonder, is there some application or web page that shows in a map
of any location in what exact direction the Moon is going to be at a
given day and hour?

That is, I want to plan where to go and take photos of the Moon, to see
what obstacles are on the way of my shots.

A web page would be fine, or an Android application.

It is not a star map, that I have. And yes, it tells me the moon
location at the time needed, but then I have to calculate the position
on the landscape by hand and paper.

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

Thanks! Wonderful :-)

For now, I think the free web page will suffice.

From there, I found some apps for Android, some gratis, some not:

The Photographer's Ephemeris 3.09€
Crookneck Consulting LLC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crookneckconsulting.tpeandroid

comments say the Android version is lacking compared to the iphone version.

PhotoPills, PhotoPills 9.99€
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=PhotoPills

Planit! for Photographers
PlanIt Photo Inc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yingwen.photographertools

Sun Surveyor Lite
Adam Ratana
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ratana.sunsurveyorlite

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old July 25th 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

Hi,

There is going to bee a Moon eclipse this Friday, a Red Moon.

Now I wonder, is there some application or web page that shows in a map
of any location in what exact direction the Moon is going to be at a
given day and hour?

That is, I want to plan where to go and take photos of the Moon, to see
what obstacles are on the way of my shots.

A web page would be fine, or an Android application.

It is not a star map, that I have. And yes, it tells me the moon
location at the time needed, but then I have to calculate the position
on the landscape by hand and paper.

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

It is indeed a very helpful program. I also use Clear Outside, which is
an an iPhone app that gives you a pretty accurate prediction of cloud
conditions in the area you plan to shoot. Obviously if it's very cloudy,
why bother. OTOH, certain combinations of low and medium cloud
conditions can give you beautiful sunsets. You just have to learn how to
read it.

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

Hi,

There is going to bee a Moon eclipse this Friday, a Red Moon.

Now I wonder, is there some application or web page that shows in a map
of any location in what exact direction the Moon is going to be at a
given day and hour?

That is, I want to plan where to go and take photos of the Moon, to see
what obstacles are on the way of my shots.

A web page would be fine, or an Android application.

It is not a star map, that I have. And yes, it tells me the moon
location at the time needed, but then I have to calculate the position
on the landscape by hand and paper.

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

Thanks! Wonderful :-)

For now, I think the free web page will suffice.

From there, I found some apps for Android, some gratis, some not:

The Photographer's Ephemeris 3.09€
Crookneck Consulting LLC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crookneckconsulting.tpeandroid

comments say the Android version is lacking compared to the iphone version.

PhotoPills, PhotoPills 9.99€
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=PhotoPills

Planit! for Photographers
PlanIt Photo Inc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yingwen.photographertools

Sun Surveyor Lite
Adam Ratana
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ratana.sunsurveyorlite

I have not used Photopills, but those who have claim it's the best of
the bunch.

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 25, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Along with TPE there are several other similar apps which do a similar job,
some with additional functions, some comprehensive, some simplified. Take a
look at the following:

TPE:
https://www.photoephemeris.com

PhotoPills:
https://www.photopills.com

Magic Hour:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-hour/id482426006?mt=8

....and your Clear Outside:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clear-outside/id921555752?mt=8

Of those TPE, and Photo Pills are the premium apps of the four. Clear Outside
does the job, but I think that Magic Hour does it somewhat better to Clear
Outside.

These days my preference when it comes to function, ease of use, and
interpretation of the information is for Photo Pills and/or Magic Hour.

Savageduck

Old July 27th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/25/2018 5:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 25, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

TPE has one advantage, the desktop version is free.

I have heard some really good things about Photo pills, although i have
not used it myself. I can't say anything about Magic Hour, as I have not
used it, or heard about it, prior to your posting.

--
PeterN
Old July 27th 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

I just read the info on the link to Magic Hour. If I read it correctly,
it does not seem to have the same function as Clear Outside. In CO, you
see the amount of predicted cloud cover, at various heights. It is the
height and amount of cloud cover that contributes to the effect of the
sunset, or sunrise.

--
PeterN
Old July 27th 18, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Â* wrote:

[...]

Left off the link to an image that illustrates my statement:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptcvji1krs91n30/harbor%20cruise_3259.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old July 27th 18, 11:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Â* wrote:

[...]

And the app is cheap. I got it, for the moment it suffices :-)