Another $1749 to B&H

Old June 23rd 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Another $1749 to B&H

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 13:10:52 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jun 22, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf100_400mmf45_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

You like Fuji, you’re committed to them now, so what the hell, right? It’s
a needed lens for any system, and it’s only money.

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am abput $8,000 commited. Here is the other part of
that.

What the hell! It's only money.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

I have now bought into the apple world starting with this iPad I’m typing
on, using NewsTap. I also got pro camera, and all the usual processing
software. I got real lucky with the iPad. Just before I headed out the door
to pay $677 at Best Buy, I made one more check online, and found an open
box deal that let me buy the iPad, a decent keyboard, the camera kit, and a
very protective case for just $6 more than I was going to pay for the iPad
alone. I got real lucky, and the open box iPad looks entirely untouched.

I like it so far, but there is a learning curve moving from android. I’ll
post updates if I ever learn to use this thing.

Great! Have fun.

Eric Stevens
Old June 23rd 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 22, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 23:57:51 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf100_400mmf45_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Here is something weird. Guy on Dpreview reported AF issues when using a
filter on the Panasonic 100-400mm. That's a first.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61289044

So it seems that I made the correct decision to go with Fujifilm.

Savageduck

Old June 23rd 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-06-22 04:22, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 23:57:51 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig..._xf100_400mmf4
5_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Savageduck

Really nice lens! Wildlife here you come!

My father gave me a book on wild life, but it just had photos of animals.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old June 23rd 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-06-21 23:57, Savageduck wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig..._xf100_400mmf4
5_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Sounds sweet! Should look sweeter.

Old June 23rd 18, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-06-22 15:16, Bill W wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
[...]

And remember: Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Bwaahahahaahahahah.

Old June 23rd 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-06-22 17:40, John McWilliams wrote:
On 6/22/18Â*Â* PDT 2:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 22, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

Yup! With the 100-800mm I am about $8,000 commited. Here is the
other part
of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yeyllbh2jd8g0a/IMG_2527e.jpg

But where to put the new 100-400? You'll need a new bag.

I will try a bag rearrangement, that particular bag is pretty
flexible. It is
not my plan to take everything on every trip, or local shoot. That and I
already have a good collection of bags, but another one couldn’t hurt. I
will keep you posted after I have the 100-400 in hand.

Looks great! Happy shootin'!

"The lens has been designed for handheld shooting with a 5.0-stop* image
stabilization system (and weighs less than 1.4kg)

I think I understand the weight part, but how does one interpret the
IS's 5 stop spec?

CW is you use the handhold rule of thumb (speed equal to or faster than
1 over the focal length). In this case you should be able to go 5 stops
slower than that.

So, at 400mm, you should shoot at 1/400 or faster (rule of thumb); in
this case the 5 stop margin would bring you to about 1/15 shutter speed.

Caveat: I've always understood the rule of thumb speed to be for
"snapshot" sized photos, ie: 4x6" - not for 8x12 prints.

Old June 24th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On Saturday, 23 June 2018 11:54:33 UTC-4, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2018-06-22 17:40, John McWilliams wrote:
On 6/22/18 PDT 2:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

sig snipped

Old rule of thumb, for film with about 8mp resolution equivalency, no
longer applies. "1/twice lens focal length" is a better-bet. Also,
somewhat sharp shots are possible at 1/30th-1/60th of a second are
possible with stabilization and a 400mm lens, but close examination
between them and shots at faster speeds will probably show a
sharpness difference.

As I pointed out, the ROT applies to snapshot sized photos, so that
washes out your so called resolution equivalency ...

PS: Get a newsreader that removes sigs properly.

Old June 24th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...
None of my Fujinon primes, 14mm f/2.8, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/2.0, or 35mm, f/1.4
have IS, and I don?t miss it with them as they are pretty good all round
performers.

But imagine you could get sharp handheld 1s or 2s shots with these
lenses. You wouldn't need a tripod during the blue hour or at night.
--
Alfred Molon

Old June 24th 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 24, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/21/2018 11:57 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I just decided to go long with my Fujifilm setup, and I have ordered the XF
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR for $1749 (with $150 discount). It is
scheduled to get to me via FedEx on Tuesday.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf100_400mmf45_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Enjoy

Thanks.

I understand that this 100-400mm performs quite well with the 1.4TC. So I
might do something I have preached against, and buy that TC to give me a
140-560mm (35mm equiv 210-840mm).

Savageduck