Put your Canon Glass to Use With Your iPhone!

Old May 21st 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Put your Canon Glass to Use With Your iPhone!

On May 20, 2018, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 5/20/2018 5:53 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2018 21:17:04 -0400, wrote:

Eric Stevens:
The world is full of genuinely poor people who can never aspire to
owning a smart phone.

Having lived in S.E. Asia, the Middle East, and East Africa from 1966
to 1993, I have some small degree of awareness of poverty and
deprivation around the world. Nonetheless, among all but the very
poorest of the poor, by which I mean persons like those that Nachtwey
photographed in The Sudan, smartphones are quite common, even where
individuals can't afford them but groups of people or whole villages
can afford to share one.

I would regard a community which had to pool their funds to buy a
smartphone as poor. In such a community there is no hope for an
individual who wants to buy a smartphone or camera.

Somehow this has twisted from my "1st world" problem/irritation
to one of "3rd world" enrichment.
I find it hard to imagine that any of these ultra-poor folks are likely
to have any "Canon Glass" to use on their smartphones.
To my point maybe check out Savageduck's comment in the
" Which would more likely drive someone to a phone camera?"
thread.

Which comment?

I replied to RichA twice in that thread, once to his OP, and once to his
observation regarding the multitude of phones present at the Royal wedding.

....and I agree. I seriously doubt that a villager in Sudan, or the majority
of the population in a country with as good a broadband infrastructure as
South Africa, where mobile phone usage is relatively high, have too much
Canon glass to attach to their phones.

Savageduck

Old May 21st 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 5/20/2018 7:43 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Oh, I was totally thinking of the millions of "to show you're there"
snapshots.
My thoughts ran along the lines of "show you're there" vs "being" there
phenomenon.
~~
Seems Davoud took it as a slam on being able to do anything good with a
phone-cam.
--
==
Later...

Old May 21st 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 20, 2018, Ron C wrote
(in ):

[...]

That is what I feel about phone camera usage at events from concerts to royal
weddings. They are tools to validate the user’s existence.

Seems Davoud took it as a slam on being able to do anything good with a
phone-cam.

I have no doubt that good work can be done with a phone camera. However, just
as it is with all other cameras, be they FF, MF, APS-C, M4/3, or compact, not
every shooter is producing quality work, and camera phone shooters fall into
the Instamatic class of snapshooter where most shots are banal, and few are
extraordinary.

....but extraordinary work does exist.
https://www.ippawards.com

Savageduck

Old May 21st 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/19/2018 9:17 PM, Davoud wrote:
Eric Stevens:
The world is full of genuinely poor people who can never aspire to
owning a smart phone.

Having lived in S.E. Asia, the Middle East, and East Africa from 1966
to 1993, I have some small degree of awareness of poverty and
deprivation around the world. Nonetheless, among all but the very
poorest of the poor, by which I mean persons like those that Nachtwey
photographed in The Sudan, smartphones are quite common, even where
individuals can't afford them but groups of people or whole villages
can afford to share one.

In a similar vein, in the US we had multiple party lines and shared
telephones in the hallway of apartment houses.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On Sat, 19 May 2018 21:17:04 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Eric Stevens:
The world is full of genuinely poor people who can never aspire to
owning a smart phone.

Having lived in S.E. Asia, the Middle East, and East Africa from 1966
to 1993, I have some small degree of awareness of poverty and
deprivation around the world. Nonetheless, among all but the very
poorest of the poor, by which I mean persons like those that Nachtwey
photographed in The Sudan, smartphones are quite common, even where
individuals can't afford them but groups of people or whole villages
can afford to share one.

I would regard a community which had to pool their funds to buy a
smartphone as poor. In such a community there is no hope for an
individual who wants to buy a smartphone or camera.

I think your comment is a bigoted reflection of your colonial heritage.
Do you still believe in the white man's burden?

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/20/2018 8:21 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 20, 2018, Ron C wrote
(in ):

[...]

Indeed it does. There are a lot of processing apps, some of which
require skill to use, and others that are easy to use and simply process
for the "gee wiz" effect.

--
PeterN
Old May 22nd 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 20 May 2018 18:23:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I was thinking more of the psycho-social impact where the experience
is being supplanted by the need to document. I have no problem with
great, or even spectacular photos are frequently captured on a phone.
I do worry a bit about the seeming obsession to document life rather
than live it in real time.

The world is full of genuinely poor people who can never aspire to
owning a smart phone.

so what? they won't be buying a camera either.

You shouldn't have snipped the final paragraph.

And I was responding to "the stupidity" (although I wouldn't call it
that) of the comment in the snipped paragraph. There are many parts of
the world where the people are so poor that a person who can afford a
smartphone or camera is regarded as wealthy.

then they won't be choosing which one to buy, will they?

Changing the subject again.

Eric Stevens
Old May 22nd 18, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

nope.

as usual, you completely miss the point.
Old May 22nd 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 21 May 2018 14:36:56 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I don't understand what you think your comment has to do with my
comment about standards of poverty. I stand by my original statement
that "The world is full of genuinely poor people who can never aspire
to owning a smart phone". That is an observation which has nothing at
all to do with colonial heritage or the white man's burden.

Eric Stevens
Old May 22nd 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Please read again what you wrote. "In such a community there is NO
HOPE......" (emphasis supplied,)
Perhaps you did not mean that, but that's how it sounded to me.

--
PeterN