There are two truisms in the computer world:

Old March 18th 18, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default There are two truisms in the computer world:

On 17/03/2018 21:12, Carlos E.R. wrote:
[] I don't know when there are updates to do. The computer is normally
running Linux, windows is not booted unless really needed, once a month
or less. As I can not enable or disable the updates, I boot in Windows
only when I have time to spare.

Instead, most of the times I use a virtual Windows machine.

For comparison, a full Windows Upgrade (which I do once or twice a week
as new "Insider" versions come out) typically take less than three hours
on a nine-year-old dual core laptop with just 2 GB memory.Â* That's with
a 117 GB SSD with 70 GB free.

3 hours?

My experience is that Linux updates much faster in the same hardware. I
don't understand why Windows is so slow at updating itself. With fast
internet it can take hours to download, with virtually nil network
activity but high cpu load. What is the problem? Just download the file
in seconds, replace the libraries, done.

Maybe they think that I can be doing other things on the computer while
it updates, but that's not the case. I want to boot, update, power off,
fast, and take the road. At a time of my choosing, not their choosing.

Just talking, doesn't matter :-)

There are plenty of ways to delay or reschedule Windows updates - search
Google.

The Windows updates are sent out on the second Tuesday of the month, so
perhaps running Windows on the day after every month might be a good idea.

3 hours is for a full Windows upgrade - a major upgrade, like Win-8 to
Win-10 - the monthly updates take minutes. The updates can be
downloaded in the background, just leave the PC running.

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 18th 18, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-18 09:57:12 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 17/03/2018 21:21, ray carter wrote:
[]
I did not say linux upgrades rarely go awry - I said Debian linux
upgrades do not go awry and I stand by the statement.

Not true for Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi - I think that's Debian.

It's not fair to blame Debian for problems on custom derivates.
--
teleportation kills

Old March 18th 18, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 18/03/2018 10:21, android wrote:
[]
It's not fair to blame Debian for problems on custom derivates.

Possibly not, but it illustrates one of Linux's problems, dozens of
incompatible variants!
--
Cheers,
David
Old March 18th 18, 11:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-18 10:43:13 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 18/03/2018 10:21, android wrote:
[]
It's not fair to blame Debian for problems on custom derivates.

Possibly not, but it illustrates one of Linux's problems, dozens of
incompatible variants!

Yeah! The Ubuntu crew should have stayed with the mothership!!!
--
teleportation kills

Old March 18th 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

3 hours is for a full Windows upgrade - a major upgrade, like Win-8 to
Win-10 - the monthly updates take minutes. The updates can be
downloaded in the background, just leave the PC running.

3 hours to update means you're doing something very wrong.
Old March 18th 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 09:57:12 +0000, David Taylor wrote:

On 17/03/2018 21:21, ray carter wrote:
[]
I did not say linux upgrades rarely go awry - I said Debian linux
upgrades do not go awry and I stand by the statement.

Not true for Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi - I think that's Debian.

It is a Debian derivative. There is a true Debian release which would run
on a Pi - though I haven't tried it. Ubuntu is also a Debian derivative
and not nearly as stable as Debian Stable.
Old March 18th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 18/03/2018 14:21, ray carter wrote:
[]
It is a Debian derivative. There is a true Debian release which would run
on a Pi - though I haven't tried it. Ubuntu is also a Debian derivative
and not nearly as stable as Debian Stable.

Thanks, Ray.

As the majority of RPi users use Raspbian, that's how the OS will be
judged - for better or for worse.

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 18th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-03-18 11:03, David Taylor wrote:
[...]

I did, just not recently. It was not possible or difficult on the Home
version. What some people do is adjust the house DNS so that the update
servers do not resolve, LOL.

The Windows updates are sent out on the second Tuesday of the month, so
perhaps running Windows on the day after every month might be a good idea.

Ah, didn't know that.

3 hours is for a full Windows upgrade - a major upgrade, like Win-8 to
Win-10 - the monthly updates take minutes.Â* The updates can be
downloaded in the background, just leave the PC running.

Yes, most of the updates go fast enough.

But that "downloading in the background" I do not like much, as compared
to "download now at top network speed". Something is not right.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old March 19th 18, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 18/03/2018 18:07, Carlos E.R. wrote:
[]
Yes, most of the updates go fast enough.

But that "downloading in the background" I do not like much, as compared
to "download now at top network speed". Something is not right.

I should perhaps explain what I meant by "downloading in the background"
a little more. I have the "Restart options" set to allow me to defer
the reboot for a few days. I leave my PC running on Tuesday night (UK
time) and then on Wednesday morning I might get a notification that
there is an update pending a reboot, and I can choose to reboot then or
later. If the update hasn't yet been installed (so no notification) I
can run "Check for updates", and it will be downloaded and installed
right away (if there is one). Top network speed may be the top speed
from the server, not from your local connection, particularly if an
update has just been released.

I believe that with the current release you can set both a Wi-Fi or a
LAN connection as "Metered", which should mean that only the most
important updates will be downloaded automatically.

Only having the full packaged updates (rather than the individual ones)
has not been a wholly welcomed change!

--
Cheers,
David