The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Old March 1st 18, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Default The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Davoud wrote:

If you think that you are delusional. You haven't even got a very
shallow understanding of SIGINT collection and processing. Persons
outside the community know as much about SIGINT as they do about
neurosurgery. Less, potentially, as the entire body of knowledge on
neurosurgery is publicly available.

Are you trying to say that all phones are safe then?
Or that some consumer grade phones are safe?
Or that none are safe?

Get to the point.
Old March 1st 18, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David_B

On 01/03/2018 05:10, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Davoud wrote:

If you think that you are delusional. You haven't even got a very
shallow understanding of SIGINT collection and processing. Persons
outside the community know as much about SIGINT as they do about
neurosurgery. Less, potentially, as the entire body of knowledge on
neurosurgery is publicly available.

Are you trying to say that all phones are safe then?
Or that some consumer grade phones are safe?
Or that none are safe?

Get to the point.

No doubt you have read here .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_intelligence

The point, I'm sure, is that *NO* 'phone is 'safe' from the eyes and
ears of those who are tasked to monitor us.

HTH

--
David B.
Old March 1st 18, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , David_B
wrote:

The point, I'm sure, is that *NO* 'phone is 'safe' from the eyes and
ears of those who are tasked to monitor us.

some are.
Old March 1st 18, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

David_B wrote:

The point, I'm sure, is that *NO* 'phone is 'safe' from the eyes and
ears of those who are tasked to monitor us.

I know that, and you know that, and anyone who is a logical thinker knows
that, but you'll hear /plenty/ of the owners of brand X scream out that
their wonderful brand X marketing organization makes them /feel/ safe from
those prying eyes.

Feelings are all that matter to they who will pay dearly for those wondrous
feeling of safety.

I liken it to the marketing mother telling the young scared child that the
monster can't get out of the closet if she just closes the closet door.

That makes the child /feel/ safe.
Old March 1st 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David_B

On 01/03/2018 08:52, ultred ragnusen wrote:
David_B wrote:

The point, I'm sure, is that *NO* 'phone is 'safe' from the eyes and
ears of those who are tasked to monitor us.

I know that, and you know that, and anyone who is a logical thinker knows
that, but you'll hear /plenty/ of the owners of brand X scream out that
their wonderful brand X marketing organization makes them /feel/ safe from
those prying eyes.

Feelings are all that matter to they who will pay dearly for those wondrous
feeling of safety.

I liken it to the marketing mother telling the young scared child that the
monster can't get out of the closet if she just closes the closet door.

That makes the child /feel/ safe.

:-D

FYI
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...ecurity-video/

--
David B.

Old March 1st 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

Davoud:
If you think that you are delusional. You haven't even got a very
shallow understanding of SIGINT collection and processing. Persons
outside the community know as much about SIGINT as they do about
neurosurgery. Less, potentially, as the entire body of knowledge on
neurosurgery is publicly available.

ultred ragnusen:
Are you trying to say that all phones are safe then?
Or that some consumer grade phones are safe?
Or that none are safe?

Get to the point.

?? The point is that you know nothing whatsoever about SIGINT. I made
that very clear.

As for the safety of phones, what I might or might not know about that
is not for your eyes. In essence, the safety of your mobile phone lies
in the fact that no one is listening. You and your communications are
of no importance to the intelligence community.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 1st 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David_B

On 01/03/2018 14:39, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
If you think that you are delusional. You haven't even got a very
shallow understanding of SIGINT collection and processing. Persons
outside the community know as much about SIGINT as they do about
neurosurgery. Less, potentially, as the entire body of knowledge on
neurosurgery is publicly available.

ultred ragnusen:
Are you trying to say that all phones are safe then?
Or that some consumer grade phones are safe?
Or that none are safe?

Get to the point.

?? The point is that you know nothing whatsoever about SIGINT. I made
that very clear.

As for the safety of phones, what I might or might not know about that
is not for your eyes. In essence, the safety of your mobile phone lies
in the fact that no one is listening. You and your communications are
of no importance to the intelligence community.

What about *ME* and *MY* communications? ;-)

--
David B.
Testing to see if I'm Kill-filed!

Old March 1st 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Davoud wrote:

As for the safety of phones, what I might or might not know about that
is not for your eyes. In essence, the safety of your mobile phone lies
in the fact that no one is listening. You and your communications are
of no importance to the intelligence community.

You /wish/ that were the case the our government doesn't illegally spy on
our citizens, but you have to remember /many/ a president has broken the
Constitution by ordering our own government to spy on our citizens,
illegally.

Take, for example, the well-known fact of what J. Edgar Hoover did over a
series of presidencies, or that Lyndon Johnson ordered the spying of
anti-war demonstrators.

Also take, for example, those Cessnas flying daily over our cities,
scooping up the IMEIs and locations of tens of thousands of innocent people
in each flight.

Bear in mind that the actual communication (the very words spoken and the
texts sent) of law-abiding US citizens are also scooped up very often by
the intelligence community, e.g., on any overseas telephone call to your
own grandchildren as they travel abroad.

Back to the main point, there is no communication device that is secure.
None. Anyone who thinks they have security should just read the Zimmermann
telegram, or read about the Purple or JN24 or the black code or ultra
enigma communications or even the Cairo diplomatic cables of WWII infamy,
where entire extremely well motivated and well funded government
bureaucracies /thought/ that their communications were secure, which made
them /feel/ safe, just as the owners of brand X mobile devices are made to
/feel/ safe, that feeling for which they pay through the nose, and which is
vapor.

All this doesn't mean we should give up on security; it just means that no
mobile device is secure when all of them have the same weak links.
Old March 1st 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

David_B wrote:

What about *ME* and *MY* communications? ;-)

They are collecting, saving, and analyzing you and your communications,
simply because they are vacuuming up everything already and because their
triggers are myriad and sundry.

For example, have you ever visited a Tails site?

Or have you ever used Tor?

Or even made a phone call from inside the USA to outside the USA?

Or, did you have your phone turned on when that Cessna flew low overhead?

etc.

All of this means simply that you are being recorded (even now, as we
type), where my only point is that no consumer grade mobile communication
device is even the least bit secure, despite the hugely successful
marketing of Brand X to loyal but naive customers to the contrary.
Old March 1st 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

Davoud:
As for the safety of phones, what I might or might not know about that
is not for your eyes. In essence, the safety of your mobile phone lies
in the fact that no one is listening. You and your communications are
of no importance to the intelligence community.

ultred ragnusen:
Also take, for example, those Cessnas flying daily over our cities,
scooping up the IMEIs and locations of tens of thousands of innocent people
in each flight.

When paranoid conspiracy theories come into the mix I bail out. It
would be ridiculous (and needlessly expensive) to collect IMEIs from
aircraft in a US city.

Back to the main point, there is no communication device that is secure.

That isn't true. It may be the case that technically secure
communications devices are unavailable to the public. But I repeat that
the security of your mobile phone is assured by the fact that no one is
listening to you.

Bear in mind that the actual communication (the very words spoken and
the
texts sent) of law-abiding US citizens are also scooped up very often by
the intelligence community, e.g., on any overseas telephone call to your
own grandchildren as they travel abroad.

This brings us to the second reason (after disinterest) that no one is
listening. The community would need millions upon millions of employees
to target your calls to grandma. It's ludicrous to think that they are
monitoring you.

Your post points back to my assertion: you know nothing whatsoever
about SIGINT collection. You are getting your information from others
who know nothing about the subject.