Upgrade report - SSD & photo software

Old December 26th 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Upgrade report - SSD & photo software

I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.

The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.

But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
certainly be a huge improvement.

Old December 26th 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
times, also.

while windows has its issues, there shouldn't be any crashes at all,
repeated or not.

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

So if you do have
some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
certainly be a huge improvement.

swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.

if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.
Old December 26th 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:03:55 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
times, also.

while windows has its issues, there shouldn't be any crashes at all,
repeated or not.

Using it recently after I was done with everything, there haven't been
any crashes, but I haven't used it much. It might be okay, though.

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

So if you do have
some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
certainly be a huge improvement.

swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.

if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.

Right - that comment was mostly related to OS upgrades. As a corollary
to what you said, if you're having trouble with Win 10 on an older
laptop, those troubles will obviously continue with an SSD upgrade. My
crashes are probably rooted in the clean install, and the need to find
drivers all over again, along with getting all the settings right.
Old December 26th 17, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?
and how is the drive connected?

So if you do have
some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
certainly be a huge improvement.

swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.

if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.

Right - that comment was mostly related to OS upgrades. As a corollary
to what you said, if you're having trouble with Win 10 on an older
laptop, those troubles will obviously continue with an SSD upgrade.

yep

My
crashes are probably rooted in the clean install, and the need to find
drivers all over again, along with getting all the settings right.

quite likely.
Old December 27th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:03:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

Old December 27th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

internal would be sata.

external could be anything.
Old December 27th 17, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

internal would be sata.

external could be anything.

Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
healthy holiday season and following year.

--
PeterN
Old December 27th 17, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 27/12/2017 7:27 @wiz, Bill W wrote:

But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do hav some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems.

My Samsung laptop can't be updated to Win10, apparently the wifi chipset
it uses is not "compatible" with it, whatever that means for Microslop
nowadays.
The end result is it will stay on win7Pro-64 for the foreseeable future.
Which will include an SSD for sure at some stage.

My work laptop is on Win10, it's a recent HP. And it needs an update
almost every week. Good thing it's my employerpaying for the downloads,
because I wouldn't!

Same for my desktop: the 3 year old mobo apparently is not "compatible"
either.

Microslop and wheir W10 can go jump in a lake, I'll stick to 7Pro-64.
Old December 27th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:10:10 +1100, Noons
wrote:

[...]

The Windows update checker flagged endless compatibility issues with
my laptop, but I installed Win 10 anyway, and then spent a good amount
of time finding drivers, including for the wifi. I did get everything
working, but it might not be worth the trouble for lots of people. You
need to have some time on your hands.
Old December 27th 17, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-26 20:27:49 +0000, Bill W said:

[...]

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
--
teleportation kills