Ping iPhone users

Old November 4th 16, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ping iPhone users

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

I have been frustrated by the fragility of iPhone cords. The ones made
by Apple didn't seem to last much longer than the imitations that sold
for a few dollars.

This afternoon I spoke with the folks at Apple about that issue. They
told me that Apple was aware of that issue, and would give me a
replacement cord if the old one went bad within a year.

So, iPhone/iPad users, save your receipts.

BTW if anyone wants to know what took me so long to complain, I say
that I am the type to spend a lot of time researching for a $25 item.

I don't use Apple "Lightning-USB" cables. I use and highly recommend
the much more durable and reliable Anker cables. Their "Powerline+"
(their heavy-dutyedition) and "Powerline" cables are available in
various lengths from 1 ft, 3 ft, 6 ft, and 10 ft. They are available
from their site or Amazon.
https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/110/Cables

Sold by the foot :-)

Anker had the foresight to accomodate those of you with a taste for the
metric by noting the lengths so; (1ft / 0.3m), ( 3ft / 0.9m), (6ft /
1.8m) and (10ft / 3m).
If you had taken the trouble to view the web site you would have known that.

Savageduck

Old November 4th 16, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....
--
teleportation kills
Old November 4th 16, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

True. However, as with shotguns and hand grenades, close enough to be
effective. Certainly close enough for the purposes of describing the
length of the various cables.

Savageduck

Old November 4th 16, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

It's a PIA when it's 10cm short... :-p
--
teleportation kills
Old November 4th 16, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.
Old November 4th 16, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2016-11-04 03:15:05 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I don't use Apple "Lightning-USB" cables. I use and highly recommend
the much more durable and reliable Anker cables. Their "Powerline+"
(their heavy-dutyedition) and "Powerline" cables are available in
various lengths from 1 ft, 3 ft, 6 ft, and 10 ft. They are available
from their site or Amazon.
https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/110/Cables

A word of warning on this - I looked at a micro USB cable, and it was
charging only. The micro USB's are in two groups on their site, so if
anyone is looking to buy one for charging AND data transfer, read the
description carefully. Both types are available.

not with lightning, they aren't.

also keep in mind that 'usb charging cables' are non-compliant with the
usb spec and should be avoided. the missing data lines are *required*
to negotiate power above the minimum 100ma, so at best you get *really*
slow charging, but more likely no charging or an incompatible accessory
warning. tl;dr they're a scam.

Just to clarify, the Anker "USB-Lightning" cables, which is what I am
talking about are not a scam. They are fully compliant and much more
durable than Apple USB-Lightning cables. I have replaced all my OEM
Apple cables with Anker "USB-Lightning" cables and I have no issue
with data transfer or power.
I also use an Anker USB charger.

I've got a few Anker products (cables, batteries) and my personal
experience leads me to vouch for their quality. I've got a Quick Charge
3 wall charger on the way to use at my office, it'll be delivered tomorrow.

Old November 5th 16, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/4/2016 10:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , android
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

--
PeterN
Old November 5th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.
Old November 5th 16, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

Then just buy a (6ft / 1.8m) or (10ft / 3m) Anker USB-Lightning cable.
Either of those will be plently long enough and the price difference is
inconsequential. For the Powerline+ $16.99 vs. $17.99; and for the
Powerline $12.99 vs $14.99. Their standard (3ft / 0.9m) cable can be
had for $9.99.
https://www.anker.com/products/A81220A1

Savageduck

Old November 5th 16, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 04/11/2016 02:46, PeterN wrote:
I have been frustrated by the fragility of iPhone cords. The ones made
by Apple didn't seem to last much longer than the imitations that sold
for a few dollars.

This afternoon I spoke with the folks at Apple about that issue. They
told me that Apple was aware of that issue, and would give me a
replacement cord if the old one went bad within a year.

So, iPhone/iPad users, save your receipts.

BTW if anyone wants to know what took me so long to complain, I say that
I am the type to spend a lot of time researching for a $25 item.

Lidl sell them from time to time. They seem tough and have a thick and
rather inflexible (bit like pipe cleaner) braid-like covering, and
substantial at-connector mouldings. I have a couple and they've proved
durable and reliable (with data too), about £4 each.

--
Cheers, Rob