Councillor Anderson, handheld at full zoom

Old June 10th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Default Councillor Anderson, handheld at full zoom

On 6/10/10 6:43 AM, in article
, "Peter"
wrote:

"bugbear" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg (full
size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast loading)

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order to
see how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec (360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really interested
in how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Barrel distortion can be trivially post corrected.

Is that barrel distorting, or a curved wall?

Curved wall. Most chambers are. So is the desk.

Old June 10th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
bugbear

On 2010-06-10 12:43:10 +0100, Peter said:

"bugbear" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg
(full size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast loading)

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order
to see how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec
(360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really
interested in how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple
fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Barrel distortion can be trivially post corrected.

Is that barrel distorting, or a curved wall?

Distortion at full zoom is pincushion.

true

Here it is offset by the curved wall and is barely detectable towards
the top left corner.

I didn't notice the pincushion, but thought bugbear might have been
confusing the curved wall with barrel distortion.

No - I was simply addressing Dudley's expressed concern.

- actually, most geometrical distortions can be post corrected.
I'm particularly aware of this, since I make panorama's,
where correct stitching involves manipulating photographs
carefully, including correcting lens distortions (before
applying deliberate distortions!)

BugBear
Old June 10th 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"George Kerby" wrote in message

On 6/9/10 6:41 PM, in article YEVPn.6492$z%6.3140@edtnps83, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg (full
size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order to
see
how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec (360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really interested
in
how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley, it is very sharp. A noticeable amount of noise that is acceptable.
And I cannot see any C.A. In the marble wall edges. If you are testing for
lens distortion, I would suggest shooting a flat object like a fence line
head on. And barrel distortion usually occurs when the zoom is set to
wide,
not telephoto. Overall, it appears that the camera does a nice job in your
hands.

Thanks, George, appreciate the feedback.

I thought there might be some straight lines in the wal behind the
councillors that might bring out the lens distortion-- didn't realize it was
marble. And, thanks for clarifying the terminology for me; I need to pay
more attention to the technical jargon...

It was a slow day for Council, so I got a bunch of pics of empty chairs in
addition to that one...

The next time I go back, I think I'll bring along a tripod and the XSi with
the 75-300. With all those faces, and all the drama, there could be some
interesting shots there.

BTW, while I was testing the cam, I was also testing a digital voice
recorder, the Sony ICDSX700. I was sitting at the back and there wasn't
anybody sitting near me. I was shocked when I played it back and could
understand the whispers of people sitting quite some distance away. That
little recorder could be a serious privacy threat...

Once again, thanks for the feedback, George.

TakeCare,
Dudley

Old June 10th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

On 2010-06-10 00:41:44 +0100, Dudley Hanks said:

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg (full
size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast loading)

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order to
see how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec (360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really interested
in how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Commenting only on the small image, because its about the same size as a
print, it's as good or better than would appear in my local newspaper.

No distortion or fringing noticeable. It's more than sharp enough for its
purpose. Some colour noise in places, but not too distracting and could be
reduced in an editor if necessary.

Great shot, Dudley.

--
Pete

Thanks, Pete, appreciate the feedback.

I'm surprised that little sensor isn't noisier than it is. Canon must be
improving it's noise reduction processing...

In the future, I'll have to sit a bit closer and try for more expressive
close-ups...

BTW, Mich loves the Council Chambre, as there's a lot of room between the
rows. Lots of room for him to spread out and catch some z's while I play
around with the cams...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 10th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"bugbear" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Williams wrote:
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...orAnderson.jpg (full
size)

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/Latest...ersonSmall.jpg
(fast loading)

Visited City Hall this morning and brought along the SX120 in order to
see how it works at full zoom.

Took this pic from the back of the room, handheld at 1/100 sec (360mm).

I'm sure you will find a bit of camera shake, but I'm really interested
in how the barrel distortion appears, ditto for purple fringing...

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Take Care,
Dudley

Actually ....Not Bad......Not bad at all for indoor lighting, and hand
held at FL=360mm (eq.)

Well, the camera's full name is SX120-IS, and the IS
may help ;-)

I was certainly (initially) astonished
by what my little Canon A590IS could do in this regard,
compared to my previous Canon A630.

BugBear

The IS definitely helps. I'd be hard-pressed to get a similar shot with a
non-stabilized lens.

I also had my XSi and the 75 - 300 along for the ride, and took some shots
with it. There was noticeable shake in those pics at similar shutter
speeds.

But, I haven't been in a situation where I can shoot at that amount of zoom,
lately, so I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to steady grip shots.

I want to go back and do a few tripod shots, but I might have to try some
more handhelds in the 400+ (35mm equiv) range to see if I can get a useable
image.

Thanks for the feedback, BugBear

Take Care,
Dudley