Colour space for prints

Old September 1st 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Colour space for prints

Somewhere I read that for prints you use sRGB, because many printers use
sRGB. Then why do you need Adobe RGB, or are there printers which use
AdobeRGB ?
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 1st 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Alfred Molon wrote:
Somewhere I read that for prints you use sRGB, because many printers use
sRGB. Then why do you need Adobe RGB, or are there printers which use
AdobeRGB ?

Yes, there are printers that have a wider gamut than sRGB, and some
monitors do as well. There's a wider, newer space called ProPhoto RGB,
as well. Printing at home with Photoshop managing the colors, you can
use whatever space the photo is in, and the conversion will be to the
specific printers drivers' capabilities.

You may have read the advice to use sRGB for prints sent to the average
service bureau, as that's what most expect, and lots don't know what to
do with a different color space.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 1st 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , John
McWilliams says...

You may have read the advice to use sRGB for prints sent to the average
service bureau, as that's what most expect, and lots don't know what to
do with a different color space.

Well, even companies using high end printers and archival grade paper
(Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl) now request sRGB.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

John McWilliams wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Somewhere I read that for prints you use sRGB, because many printers
use sRGB. Then why do you need Adobe RGB, or are there printers which
use AdobeRGB ?

Yes, there are printers that have a wider gamut than sRGB, and some
monitors do as well. There's a wider, newer space called ProPhoto RGB,
as well. Printing at home with Photoshop managing the colors, you can
use whatever space the photo is in, and the conversion will be to the
specific printers drivers' capabilities.

You may have read the advice to use sRGB for prints sent to the average
service bureau, as that's what most expect, and lots don't know what to
do with a different color space.

It's worth re-iterating that use of a wider colour space is only useful
if your image has colours outside the 'less wide' spec and inside the
wider one...

And that no colour space has *more* colours - the colours are simply
'remapped' and spread out more so the steps between colours are greater.
So that means if you are manipulating 8-bit images, you may well be
adding new problems (eg posterisation) by using a wider space.

As they say, if you aren't willing to deal with all this, or you are not
quite sure about any aspects, just stay with sRGB.
Old September 1st 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bino

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Somewhere I read that for prints you use sRGB, because many printers use
sRGB. Then why do you need Adobe RGB, or are there printers which use
AdobeRGB ?

As others have indicated, yes, some printers have a wider color space than
sRGB. I would say, though, that for most consumer print services, sRGB
would be fine, or as one person indicated, go ahead and leave it unmanaged,
as such services won't care much one way or the other. I do notice, however
that sending Adobe RGB files to Kodak Gallery results in muted, slightly
brownish files. If one uses a "real" service, though, such as that offered
by West Coast Imaging, or even Adorama Pix, custom color spaces are
available depending on what paper you wish to print to. So, if I want to
have something printed on Adorama's luster paper, I download and install the
icm file, and use photoshop to convert it to that profile, and then send it
off to adorama to have it printed. Is their color space narrower than Adobe
RGB? I have no idea. Makes great prints, though, and they're inexpensive
at that. I use West Coast Imaging for really big prints.

Old September 2nd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Mark Thomas wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Actually, Mark T, some printers do have more colors (and colours) than
others, if you say a wider gamut is "more color", which is not
unreasonable.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 2nd 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

John McWilliams wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
It's worth re-iterating that use of a wider colour space is only
useful if your image has colours outside the 'less wide' spec and
inside the wider one...

And that no colour space has *more* colours - the colours are simply
'remapped' and spread out more so the steps between colours are
greater. So that means if you are manipulating 8-bit images, you may
well be adding new problems (eg posterisation) by using a wider space.

As they say, if you aren't willing to deal with all this, or you are
not quite sure about any aspects, just stay with sRGB.

Actually, Mark T, some printers do have more colors (and colours) than
others, if you say a wider gamut is "more color", which is not
unreasonable.

--
john mcwilliams

Fair comment. I was referring to the commonly held (?) belief that
there are numerically more colours in argb or pprgb, when in fact there
are the same number, just spread out over a different range. So up
until the image is rendered on a device that has those different
colours, and unless you are aware of the 16- v 8-bit issues, it can be
more problematic than useful.