attaching titles, comments, etc to jpegs

Old September 1st 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default attaching titles, comments, etc to jpegs

I've got a bunch of jpeg files I'd like to share with people
by sending them on DVD-ROMS

I'd like to label them. I've tried doing this in various
ways, but it seems that only I can read the comments. These
files all come from a Canon 30D camera. They come as RAW
files, which got converted to jpegs either by Canon's
Digital Photo Professional, Photoshop CS2 (in two ways: using
the raw convertor in PS CS2 to write the files directly, or using
that to go to PS itself which wrote the jpegs.), or using Hugin,
the results being edited in PS CS2. It seems that files
written using one method may not necessarily have comments
edited using a different method. I have also tried
using EXIFTOOL to edit them.

No method works!

How do I label the files so everybody, using any reader tool,
can see the labels or comments?

Doug McDonald
Old September 1st 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Cynicor wrote:

How do I label the files so everybody, using any reader tool,
can see the labels or comments?

If you have Windows Vista, you can select multiple JPGs and drag the
bottom portion of the Explorer view to expand it so you can see the
tags. Then you can change author, comment, title, etc. and apply it to
all the images you've selected.

I'm using Windows XP. I can change the "comments" and "title"
using XP. Well, at least on some files ... but some files,
I can;t add these comments ... I can try, but it does not work.

But even if I succeed, only Windows Explorer among normal programs sees these
changes. EXIFTool sees them and can change them ... but other
programs don't seem to use them.

Doug McDonald
Old September 2nd 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Francis

Why not just doing nuts and bolts? There is a world wide standard for
tagging called IPTC. I do my tagging and describing with Xnview which
can be downloaded free. Best viewing and browsing through the thumbnails
is done by Thumbsplus. That is the only piece of software (as far as I
know)which is capable to show the entire description with line wrap
aside of the thumbsnails. All others show only the first line truncated
to the about 20 first characters.
Francis

Old September 2nd 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
zen

wrote in message ...

I've got a bunch of jpeg files I'd like to share with people
by sending them on DVD-ROMS

Enlarge the canvas using photoshop/PSP to make a white* box/space
at the bottom of the image, and then add the title and description
using the text tool. You may need to do the latter in two stages
if you want a larger font for the title.

Then just save the slightly larger image.

If the original images are dimensioned so as to fill the screen at a
particular resolution then users will now need to scroll down to
read the captions etc.

michael adams

* colour to suit. Black on white is most legible, but also potentially
the most distracting.