Anyone kindly let me have pixel to size calculations ?

Old June 30th 04, 01:01 AM
UKitnewsfroupie²ºº¾

Default Anyone kindly let me have pixel to size calculations ?

Hi,

Could anyone kindly give me some information on how I can work out
resolution calculations ?

I have trawled Google and there seems to be some dispute on how these
calculations are done.

There seemed to be a small utility for palms that did this :

http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/pixl.shtml

However I cannot find a PC based utility.

Many thanks

Old June 30th 04, 02:54 AM
UKitnewsfroupie²ºº¾

Default Anyone kindly let me have pixel to size calculations ? Mange takker Gisle !

Mange takker Gisle Hannemyr for formuleringsinformasjonen !

Beregner/debatten som jeg blitt gal, da samtidig jeg letet etter pixel
omdanninger i Google, kommet jeg over en masse av informasjonså
debattering på hvordan Mega Pixels kalkulerte for digitale
fotoapparater.

Jeg gjør imidlertid, blir enig det som bruke en PC eller PDA er over
dreper, men jeg bruker MS Excel gjøre antallet crunching da jeg har 1259
avbilder kalkulere før neste uke!

Mange takker igjen. ... NF

--------

Many thanks Gisle Hannemyr for the formulations information !

The compute/dispute I may have got wrong, as at the same time I was
looking for pixel conversions in Google, I came across a mass of
information debating on how Mega Pixels were calculated for DCs.

I do however, agree that using a PC or PDA is over kill, however I will
be using MS Excel to do the number crunching as I have 1259 images to
calculate before next week !

Many thanks again.... NF

--------

Old June 30th 04, 10:06 AM
Ron Hunter

UKitnewsfroupie²ºº¾ wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone kindly give me some information on how I can work out
resolution calculations ?

I have trawled Google and there seems to be some dispute on how these
calculations are done.

There seemed to be a small utility for palms that did this :

http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/pixl.shtml

However I cannot find a PC based utility.

Many thanks

Why obcess about something that really doesn't matter much? As long as
you have enough pixels for 300 pixels per inch of print, in each
direction, you needn't worry about further details. Your print program,
and printer driver, will handle the matter to best effect. Relax,
enjoy, and stop worrying about esoteric mathmatical aspects of the
issue. That's why computer chips are in your camera, and computer.
Old June 30th 04, 12:07 PM
Fred McKenzie

Could anyone kindly give me some information on how I can work out
resolution calculations ?

I have trawled Google and there seems to be some dispute on how these
calculations are done

UK-

Did Gisle answer your question? If he understood your question correctly, then
there is no room for a dispute! That is the only logical answer I can think
of.

Many times a picture is opened in a graphics program, and is just too big to
fit on the screen. If that is the size you refer to, then there is no common
relationship between pixels and size. Each camera seems to be programmed with
a different size photo, regardless of the number of pixels. Then different
graphics programs handle images differently. Some have preferences that can be
set to either show "actual" size or fit-to-screen.

The bottom line is that you need to get to know your equipment and your
graphics program, and learn to work with their quirks.

Fred

Old June 30th 04, 01:24 PM
imbsysop

On 30 Jun 2004 11:07:35 GMT, (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

Could anyone kindly give me some information on how I can work out
resolution calculations ?

I have trawled Google and there seems to be some dispute on how these
calculations are done

UK-

Did Gisle answer your question? If he understood your question correctly, then
there is no room for a dispute! That is the only logical answer I can think
of.

Many times a picture is opened in a graphics program, and is just too big to
fit on the screen. If that is the size you refer to, then there is no common
relationship between pixels and size. Each camera seems to be programmed with
a different size photo, regardless of the number of pixels. Then different
graphics programs handle images differently. Some have preferences that can be
set to either show "actual" size or fit-to-screen.

IMHO you are rambling away ..
a 2Mpx camera producing a 1600x1280 pix picture will run off screen
when viewed on a monitor set at 1024x768 .. It will nicely show if
monitor is set to 1600x1200 and viewed full screen .. so the
relationship is quite obvious .
The way cameras are "programmed" with different sieze photos is just
to be related to the jpg file compression factor and to the user set
possibility to only use part of the full size resolution of the sensor
but the maths are pretty straightforward to me ...
... unless one gets lost in "printer representations" on screen .. (aka
an emulated on screen vison by setting printer PPI in the graphic
program)
FWIW

Old June 30th 04, 06:12 PM
Ron Hunter

Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

Nonsense. The camera has little to do with the size of a photo. You
can print one the size of a postage stamp from a 14 mp camera, or the
size of a billboard from a 1.3 mp camera. Computer screens range from
about 72 pixels/inch up to 200 pixels/inch (DAMN expensive!). Most are
in the 72-96ppi range. What you see on the screen depends largely on
what program you use, and has NO RELATIONSHIP to the size that will be
printed, or the dots/inch of the print!

The size of the print depends on what parameters you feed the print
function, and the printer driver you use, and the printer you use.
Old June 30th 04, 10:57 PM
UKitnewsfroupie²ºº¾

Gisle Hannemyr,

So sorry for the Broken Babelfish !!

Let me guess: This had to something to do with a brand named "Sigma"?
Did I win?

Glad to say that you did not win the Jorge Prediguez Sigma prize !

My mother always told me to stay away from Mex-Trolls.

I actually read the Megapixel compute/dispute in home pages via Google
not here on the Usernet Groups.

It was being said that the Megapixel figure being quoted for some
cameras did not relate to the actual end resolution figures.

However lucky for me this was not my quest.

I am trying to work out results using your formulae and I think I am
getting there - only another 498 images to input into MS Excel now !!

Best wishes...

Mange takker igjen. ... NF

In ,
Gisle Hannemyr (a made-up name and address if
ever I've heard one), came back with the informed retort:

Please take that Babelfish out of your mouth. Its Norwegian mode is
so broken that it hurts.

Let me guess: This had to something to do with a brand named "Sigma"?
Did I win?

A word of advice. If the words "Sigma" and "megapixels" appear in the
/same/ window on your computer screen - just hit whatever button it is
that will take you to the next message, webpage, or whatever. This
will save you from a having to read a lot of codswallop.