If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take?

Old June 25th 04, 08:17 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default If you are trapped in ancient time, what would you take?

paul wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:32:57 +0000, MarkH wrote:

wrote in :

Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
storage, that also takes AA batteries

When you try to use the GPS you would introduce the word "DOH!" to the
ancient civilization.

When I read the OP, I had the best laugh for this day. thanks!

GPS: I wonder how he would build and launch the satellites?

Old June 30th 04, 05:37 PM
Ron G

How about an ancient Polaroid....

wrote:
Let's say, through the act of god, or whatever, that you've been
transported back through time for a few thousand years. Would you've
preferred that you have a digital camera? Or a film camera?

If you just happen to have a digital camera, say a Canon digital rebel
(or D Mark II, or Nikon D2x, whatever) with a fully charged battery,
and say a 1GB compact flash (heck, say a 10gb cf). How would you use
it? It's unlikely that you'll be able to charge the battery once it's
gone. If you will never make it back to our time, do you think the
compact flash will retain its data for a few thousand years? Under
the assumption that it might retain the data for a while, how would
you shoot? Are you gonna shoot raw? JPG, what compression level? What
do you think is more worthwhile to archeologists, 1000 medium grade
pictures, or 500 higher grade pictures? Or 200 raw pictures?

On the other hand, if you happen to have say a film camera, with a few
roll of film, say 10-20, what would you do? For the sake of argument
I'll assume the film camera also takes battery, but those batteries
might last a bit longer. However, there's no place to buy additional
battery or develop the film, so it's also unlikely that it will last a
few thousand years for us to see anyway....

If we change the scenario a bit, let's say you get 'rescued' after 3
years, but you don't know that, but you are under the assumption that
you will be rescued after some time, how would you use your camera to
document this once in a lifetime never before possible encounter to
the world? If you have your pick of equipment, what would it be?
Whatever you pick, it has to fit in a backpack.

Me, I think I'll take a DSLR that takes AA battery and a few GB of
compact flash, and a solar AA battery charger, and a GPS that writes
the tracklog to compact flash and virtually unlimited waypoint
storage, that also takes AA batteries

Or, I could use a fully mechanical film camera and some bulk films.

Raymond