Opinion sought: Omega 45D

Old September 27th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Default Opinion sought: Omega 45D

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/27/2009 7:48 AM Alan Browne spake thus:

Howard Lester wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote

I contacted the seller who says he probably has 2 or more lenses in
his cupboards.

I might make larger aperture lens boards - unless it is more
difficult than I assume!!

Probably not. I once made one out of cardboard!

I'd want to make one a little more durable, methinks...

I would think that an accurate center for the hole is required, at
least to bring the lens/film square with no swings/tilts/rises.

Trivially easy to do. If you think cardboard isn't sturdy enough,
there's always tempered hardboard (aka Masonite).

I was thinking of polycarb with a black filler if I can find one that
works (takes to being cut/drilled well).
Old September 27th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Alan Browne wrote:
K W Hart wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
snip
It occurs to me that I may need to get an Epson transparency scanner. Not
quite as sharp as my Nikon 9000ED, but should more than suffice (v. drum
scans at $25-$30 per pop).

Aw, come on! If you are going to the trouble to shoot 4x5, print them
optically! How about this enlarger family-
http://eseco-speedmaster.com/imagingsystems.html ? I have the
Eseco-Speedmaster AF-45, and I think it's a fantastic piece of gear.

I'm sure it is but, there is no way I'm going the enlarger route. It's
bad enough that I'll have to take the film in for dev downtown (where
they conveniently have that drum scanner, damnit).

Is there a tank system to do E-6 at this size?.
I found a DIY system: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
that will do 2 sheets at a time. Not a process I'd like to do, however.

Yes. I have done both E-6 and C-41 in a JOBO 2521 tank (for 6 sheets) and a
2551 (for 12 sheets) in a JOBO CPE-2 processor. I use their 2509n reels. You
probably want their loader to load the film on the reels, although I am told
it can be done without.

^^-^^ 16:35:01 up 8:42, 3 users, load average: 4.35, 4.56, 4.71
Old September 27th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 9/27/2009 1:01 PM Alan Browne spake thus:

Howard Lester wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote

I contacted the seller who says he probably has 2 or more lenses in
his cupboards.

I might make larger aperture lens boards - unless it is more
difficult than I assume!!

Probably not. I once made one out of cardboard!

I'd want to make one a little more durable, methinks...

I would think that an accurate center for the hole is required, at
least to bring the lens/film square with no swings/tilts/rises.

Trivially easy to do. If you think cardboard isn't sturdy enough,
there's always tempered hardboard (aka Masonite).

I was thinking of polycarb with a black filler if I can find one that
works (takes to being cut/drilled well).

Sure, whatever material turns you on. Oh, and is the right thickness.
Styrene or PVC would also work.

Weapons of choice would be an ordinary hole saw of the right size or a
fly cutter for larger holes. Enlarge if necessary with a wood rasp and
voila!

Old September 28th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
K W Hart

K W Hart wrote:
[...]

There are basically three methods of developing sheet film, whether B&W,
color neg, or transparency.
1. Tray processing. Must be done in darkness and temp control can be
difficult
2. Tank processing where the film is around the perimeter of the tank. Uses
small amount of chemicals, but can only handle a couple pieces of film at a
time
3. Tank processing where the film is held in some sort of holder and covered
with chems. Uses considerably more chems, but can handle perhaps a dozen
sheets at a time.
Personnally, I use an old Unicolor drum (#2 above) that can handle one
8x10, or two 5x7, or four 4x5's

As for chemicals, generally the developer has the shortest life. I use
Trebla brand for c-41 color negative film. It's sized to make five liters,
but it can be mixed in smaller quantities. Trebla does make e-6; I'm not
familiar with it, but I would guess it can also be mixed in small
quantities.

Old September 28th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

Peter wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:48 am, Alan Browne
wrote:
Howard Lester wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote
I contacted the seller who says he probably has 2 or more lenses in his
cupboards.
I might make larger aperture lens boards - unless it is more difficult
than I assume!!
Probably not. I once made one out of cardboard!

I'd want to make one a little more durable, methinks...

I would think that an accurate center for the hole is required, at least
to bring the lens/film square with no swings/tilts/rises.

If I remember correctly the Omega has a pretty large lensboard. It is
sometimes useful to have a lens, that is capable of a lot of movement,
mounted off center.

Oy! there are so many movements I hardly think I want to add another...
Old September 28th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Alan Browne

K W Hart wrote:
[...]

All in all, given the small number of sheets I would do per year, I'd
probably have E-6 processed downtown.