Found a squeeze bulb

Old June 19th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Found a squeeze bulb

In our last episode, our hero was wondering where he was going to get a
squeeze bulb to operate his old-time shutter.

Well, today I picked one up locally, from a medical supply place here in
Chinatown (Oakland). Cost me about $5. No outrageous shipping charges,
no credit card transactions, no wait, and no money leaving my community,
never to return.

But the bigger problem isn't the bulb--it's the hose to connect the
bulb. I picked up a length of latex tubing ($3 a foot!!!) and a barb
fitting that gets me from the bulb into the hose. The problem is that
the hose is much too large for the shutter connection, so I'm still
looking for parts to do that. (Probably another barb fitting into a
smaller piece of rubber tubing.)

Everything having to do with these old cameras takes tons of time
tracking down stuff.

Old June 19th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 6/19/2009 2:42 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

But the bigger problem isn't the bulb--it's the hose to connect the
bulb. I picked up a length of latex tubing ($3 a foot!!!) and a barb
fitting that gets me from the bulb into the hose. The problem is that
the hose is much too large for the shutter connection, so I'm still
looking for parts to do that. (Probably another barb fitting into a
smaller piece of rubber tubing.)

Done. Found an old length of fuel hose in my auto parts box. The auto
parts store down the street had the perfect fitting (1/4" x 1/8" barb).
The fuel hose fits right over the shutter nipple. Works like a charm.

On to the bigger project: finishing the back (5x7 back for what was a
5x8 camera). Then to fix up the old film holders. Then to get film ...

By the way, I finished a wooden tripod to go with the camera:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html. It's a prototype,
but it came out much nicer than I'd hoped.

Old June 20th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
K W Hart

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I don't know what you were hoping for, but it looks very impressive.

Old June 25th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

By the way, I finished a wooden tripod to go with the camera:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html.

Very nice.

I would have suggested lignum vitae for the head
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
but I see it is now on the cites list...

You may want to look at these folks:
http://pobcoplastics.com/td_pob_b.htm
for inserts.

And Rock Maple has a long history as an engineering
material, when impregnated it makes a good bearing:
http://www.woodex-meco.com/
http://machinedesign.com/article/woo...-bearings-0520

And also tripod legs, oil impregnation not needed, as bronze and
stainless steel are used as bearing materials:
http://www.riestripod.com/tripod.htm

I have always thought yew - of yew bow fame - would make
good tripod legs.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old June 25th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 6/24/2009 10:29 PM Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

By the way, I finished a wooden tripod to go with the camera:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html.

Very nice.

Thanks much for the compliment.

I would have suggested lignum vitae for the head
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
but I see it is now on the cites list...

Too hard. The stuff is apparently used for such things as marine
propeller drive bearings. Overkill for this application.

You may want to look at these folks:
http://pobcoplastics.com/td_pob_b.htm
for inserts.

Kewl indeed. Now if they also made *threaded* wood inserts ...

And Rock Maple has a long history as an engineering
material, when impregnated it makes a good bearing:
http://www.woodex-meco.com/
http://machinedesign.com/article/woo...-bearings-0520

Thanks. But the clamp system I came up works amazing well with really
simple materials. What I have is a large bolt (1/2") inside a sleeve of
copper pipe, which fits in a hole in a piece of pine. The wood is cut
along the hole, and the handle with its threaded rod pulls the two
halves of the wood together to squeeze the pipe. When loosened, it's
tight enough to keep its position but loose enough to easily adjust;
when tightened, it cannot be moved at all.

It should work even better with the "production" wood (mahogany).

I have always thought yew - of yew bow fame - would make
good tripod legs.

Yew may just have something there.

Old June 25th 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 6/24/2009 10:29 PM Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

I would have suggested lignum vitae for the head
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
but I see it is now on the cites list...

I was confused, and thought there was some problem with the citations in
Wikipedia, until I realized you meant the CITES list (Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).

Old June 25th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Stafford

On 6/19/09 5:41 PM, in article
, "David Nebenzahl"
wrote:

By the way, I finished a wooden tripod to go with the camera:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html. It's a prototype,
but it came out much nicer than I'd hoped.

Very nice work, David!

FWIW, I took the first couple tripods I made and turned them into lamps.
Yah, they were not very solid.

Old June 26th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 6/25/2009 12:27 PM John Stafford spake thus:

On 6/19/09 5:41 PM, in article
, "David Nebenzahl"
wrote:

By the way, I finished a wooden tripod to go with the camera:
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html. It's a prototype,
but it came out much nicer than I'd hoped.

Very nice work, David!

FWIW, I took the first couple tripods I made and turned them into lamps.
Yah, they were not very solid.

Heh; to paraphrase Cartier-Bresson, I guess your first 20 tripods are
your worst ...