Primes 'v' 2.8 Zoom

Old September 2nd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

Default Primes 'v' 2.8 Zoom

"Jake" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

I am looking to change to a full frame body. I have waited for long
enough
for the 5D replacement

Do you mean that you really cannot wait until Photokina, when the 5D
replacement(s) will be announced?

http://photokina.en.koelnmesse.info/

Mmm, I don't think it will though. Never say never though.

Wait until September 28 before you do anything rash. ;-)

Old September 4th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Jake wrote:

I think I will have to try a zoom and see how I get on with it. I guess
it's the only real way.

It would be good it I can get away with the 24-70, as it will mean I
will have 3 lenses in one. Less changing lenses, less cost, less
weight, etc. Still a bit skeptical on how it will compare to primes
though. ;-)

The pro zooms are fantastic these days, the only thing is f/2.8 still
isn't f/1.2 grin. Actually there may be another thing confusing the
situation: fast lenses on DX actually show shallower DOF because they
are effectively 1.5x longer and longer means shallower DOF. I know you
explained and understand but in practice DX is better at shallow DOF
than FX unless you really need wide *and* fast. There is no Nikon 24mm
f/1.4, only 28mm f/1.4 AF and it's priced as a collector's item
(discontinued). There is a nice affordable old 28mm f/2 lens and 35mm
f/1.4, even a 35mm f/2 AF, all around $500-$800 maybe and very small.
The old 50mm f/1.2 is probably not as good as the Canon, the 1.4 should
be nice, I have the 1.2 & enjoy it. Works nice on the D700 I just picked
up but on DX it's like a 75mm f/1.2 which is more dramatic. For a really
exceptional 24mm lens the new tilt/shift one sounds great but expensive
and I believe it doesn't make all its movements on a D700 with the
flash/pentaprism thing getting in the way compared to the flash-less D3.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net