Light pollution

Old September 1st 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_6_]

Default Light pollution

You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that horrible
orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site. I took this
from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the eastern part of Long
Island Sound. The light in the distance stretches from New London CT to
Providence RI. (This is a fisheye shot turned rectilinear.)

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...129_qCraD-A-LB
Old September 1st 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:22:45 -0400, Cynicor wrote:
: You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that horrible
: orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site. I took this
: from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the eastern part of Long
: Island Sound. The light in the distance stretches from New London CT to
: Providence RI. (This is a fisheye shot turned rectilinear.)
:
: http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...129_qCraD-A-LB

Sodium lamps radiate at only one wavelength (in the visible spectrum anyway).
So if sodium really is the culprit, you could just Photoshop it out, no?

Or am I (not a PS user) overestimating what PS can do?

Bob
Old September 1st 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:22:45 -0400, Cynicor wrote:
: You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that horrible
: orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site. I took this
: from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the eastern part of Long
: Island Sound. The light in the distance stretches from New London CT to
: Providence RI. (This is a fisheye shot turned rectilinear.)
:
: http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...129_qCraD-A-LB

Sodium lamps radiate at only one wavelength (in the visible spectrum anyway).

Not true. Even low pressure sodium lamps radiate all over the place,
they just have one wavelength dominant. But almost no place uses
them. High pressure sodium lamps radiate at all wavelengths. IF you
can see any color at all (except yellow orange!) in objects illuminated by them
they are broad spectrum.

So if sodium really is the culprit, you could just Photoshop it out, no?

No. It would be about equally in the R and G channels. You CAN
however buy filters that remove it (low pressure sodium that is),
but the resulting colors are not accurate. I have such filters.
They are useful only for astronomy and oddball artistic effects.

Doug McDonald
Old September 1st 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_6_]

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Cynicor wrote:

You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that horrible
orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site. I took this
from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the eastern part of Long
Island Sound. The light in the distance stretches from New London CT
to Providence RI. (This is a fisheye shot turned rectilinear.)

Oh, I do realize what we are missing as a camping trip to Skyline Drive
quickly reminds one of the beauty of being above the clouds and
pollution of
the city. It is amazing how many stars one can see with the naked eye.

Montauk Point and Blue Ridge Observatory have similar dark-sky profiles.
But the light is encroaching upon Skyline pretty quickly. Montauk is
lucky to have nothing to the south until you hit the Dominican Republic.

Blue Ridge Observatory
http://www.cleardarksky.com/lp/BlRdgOblp.html

Montauk
http://www.cleardarksky.com/lp/MntkPntNYlp.html
Old September 1st 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_6_]

wrote:
: You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that
horrible : orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site.
I took this : from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the
eastern part of Long : Island Sound. The light in the distance
stretches from New London CT to : Providence RI. (This is a fisheye
shot turned rectilinear.)
: :
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...129_qCraD-A-LB

Sodium lamps radiate at only one wavelength (in the visible spectrum
anyway).

Not true. Even low pressure sodium lamps radiate all over the place,
they just have one wavelength dominant. But almost no place uses
them. High pressure sodium lamps radiate at all wavelengths. IF you
can see any color at all (except yellow orange!) in objects illuminated
by them
they are broad spectrum.

So if sodium really is the culprit, you could just Photoshop it out, no?

No. It would be about equally in the R and G channels. You CAN
however buy filters that remove it (low pressure sodium that is),
but the resulting colors are not accurate. I have such filters.
They are useful only for astronomy and oddball artistic effects.

Might I reiterate how much I HATE sodium lighting? When I was a kid, not
THAT long ago, I used to be able to see stars from my home. Now
everything's just a sickly orange twilight. And as you said, it's
impossible to properly color-correct for it.
Old September 2nd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Craig

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:30:35 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

wrote:
: You never realize just how much we're all missing due to that
horrible : orange sodium light glow until you get to a dark sky site.
I took this : from Montauk NY tonight, looking north across the
eastern part of Long : Island Sound. The light in the distance
stretches from New London CT to : Providence RI. (This is a fisheye
shot turned rectilinear.)
: :
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/16...129_qCraD-A-LB

Sodium lamps radiate at only one wavelength (in the visible spectrum
anyway).

SNIP
Might I reiterate how much I HATE sodium lighting? When I was a kid, not
THAT long ago, I used to be able to see stars from my home. Now
everything's just a sickly orange twilight. And as you said, it's
impossible to properly color-correct for it.

Actually it is not Sodium lighting that is responsible for you not being
able to see the stars. It is the cumulative effect of ALL night time
lighting that is not fully shielded to point only down. This includes neon,
white, sodium, mercury etc...

If the lights were truly shielded and properly designed to point down and
not up or to the sides light pollution would be much less. Not totally
gone, since there is still significant relection from the ground upwards.
But then cities, etc... could actually use lower wattage bulbs since the
light goes where it is supposed to and thus save money.

[Getting off my soapbox now]
Old September 2nd 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

Out in Montauk (town of East Hampton), they've started requiring
sky-friendly night-lighting. You have to get the shielded lights now for
all new construction.

I've always been annoyed by the light pollution, but even moreso now
that British Sea Power released the brilliant "Lights Out For Darker
Skies" this year.
Old September 3rd 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jaf[_2_]

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...s_dmsp_big.jpg

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/slides/ast/places_mode3.gif

John