paper cutter

Old December 25th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul J Gans

Default paper cutter

Paul Heslop wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
Steve Wolfe wrote:

Blade type cutters will never cut square regardless of what you pay for
them. The only way is to use one with a circular blade like a pizza
cutter on a rail.

That is how you are using it. The guillotine cutters do cut square, they
just have to be used properly.

Fifteen years ago I used a guillotine-type cutter that would, indeed, cut
square - you just turned a 16" wheel to press down the clamp with anywhere
from a few hundred to a thousand pounds of force to hold your stock still.
:-)

steve

:O) Now that's what i call a cutter! I blame most of my cutting
problems on my crap eyesight, crap hand stability and crap equipment.

That's a lot of crap! ;-)

Seriously, I've used a guillotine-type cutter and held the paper
in place with ordinary finger pressure.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

:O) I haven't used one of those since I worked in a kid's nursery
many moons ago. One of my main quibbles against these little trimmer
things is their awkwardness. I don't like putting my fingers on stuff
which is printed and may mark so I tend to use the ruler thing, only
then you're left with about half an inch or so when the blade housing
passes your fingers. Bad design!

Mine was a large board capable of holding a larger sheet than
8 1/2 by 11. And what I usually trimmed were prints. If I
worried about marking the surface I used a piece of paper
to protect it. My hand was a couple of inches away from the
cutter blade so there was no problem there.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

This cutter seems very small. I think I just went for something which
was in stock on the day instead of thinking carefully. A large area
would probably help a lot.

Ah, many times have I regretted the quick purchase...

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old December 26th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Paul J Gans wrote:

This cutter seems very small. I think I just went for something which
was in stock on the day instead of thinking carefully. A large area
would probably help a lot.

Ah, many times have I regretted the quick purchase...

--
--- Paul J. Gans

I seem to have a big lollipop for a head with the word 'sucker'
written on it!

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old December 27th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
"mark_digital©" wrote:

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
. ..
Blade type cutters will never cut square regardless of what you pay for
them. The only way is to use one with a circular blade like a pizza
cutter on a rail.

That is how you are using it. The guillotine cutters do cut square, they
just have to be used properly.

Fifteen years ago I used a guillotine-type cutter that would, indeed,
cut square - you just turned a 16" wheel to press down the clamp with
anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand pounds of force to hold your
stock still. :-)

steve

On those types of cutters the paper has a side stop and a back fence. The
blade makes contact against the whole surface, not just the corner first. My
2 cents....

As I usually cut photos one sheet at a time, I use a 30 inch steel rule
and a box cutter with snap off blades. To give extra accuracy I have
drilled a small hole at one end of the rule. I use a long cutter board
taped to a piece of plywood and a screw at one end. A much more
efficient use of space.
Old December 27th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Stewy wrote:

As I usually cut photos one sheet at a time, I use a 30 inch steel rule
and a box cutter with snap off blades. To give extra accuracy I have
drilled a small hole at one end of the rule. I use a long cutter board
taped to a piece of plywood and a screw at one end. A much more
efficient use of space.

again you must have steady hands. I bought a steel ruler for this a
while back and no matter what, just as when I used a plastic one I'd
end up shaving it with the steel I ended up with uneven lines. My
small blade cutter might be crap compared to others, but it is a lot
straighter than I could do by hand.

Old December 28th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Aaron

And lo, Paul J Gans emerged from the ether
and spake thus:
Paul Heslop wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
Steve Wolfe wrote:

[...]

If you're really concerned you can always wear gloves. My father owns
a frame shop and wears disposable non-latex, non-powdered rubber
gloves when cutting glass just because it's easier than washing the
fingerprints off of it later on. You get a better grip on it, too.

Non-latex medical/task gloves are cheap, or you could splurge and get
a nice non-disposable pair of cotton gloves, but you really ought to
consider wearing the rubber gloves under them anyway just to keep them
from getting saturated in your hand oils, which is the problem you're
combating in the first place.

--
Aaron
http://www.fisheyegallery.com
Old December 28th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Paul Heslop wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
Steve Wolfe wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of some thin cotton ones, I hated the clear plastic
gloves when i had to wear them.