New Panasonic FF and article on mirror-less on BBC website

Old September 26th 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default New Panasonic FF and article on mirror-less on BBC website

On Sep 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

So the BBC sent a reporter to Photokina to talk to a Panasonic spin doctor.

At this time the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma effort is a non-working model with no
demonstrable performance of any kind. For now it is all speculation, and they
are up against it in the FF MILC market with Sony taking the lead, and Nikon,
and Canon breathing heavily to catch up.

In the meanwhile, Fujifilm has cornered the affordable APS-C, and MF MILC
markets.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 26/09/2018 05:05, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

So the BBC sent a reporter to Photokina to talk to a Panasonic spin doctor.

At this time the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma effort is a non-working model with no
demonstrable performance of any kind. For now it is all speculation, and they
are up against it in the FF MILC market with Sony taking the lead, and Nikon,
and Canon breathing heavily to catch up.

In the meanwhile, Fujifilm has cornered the affordable APS-C, and MF MILC
markets.

Panasonic have so much more experience than Canon or Nikon in mirrorless
that I wouldn't rule them out so quickly.

For the great majority of users the phone camera is now quite adequate
(lack of zoom excepting), and for amateurs travel compacts, MFT or APS-C
suffice. I see full-frame as an almost purely professional market
(where "the company" pays for the kit), so one which I follow with a
passive interest.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 26th 18, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 25, 2018, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 26/09/2018 05:05, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

So the BBC sent a reporter to Photokina to talk to a Panasonic spin doctor.

At this time the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma effort is a non-working model with no
demonstrable performance of any kind. For now it is all speculation, and
they are up against it in the FF MILC market with Sony taking the lead, and
Nikon, and Canon breathing heavily to catch up.

In the meanwhile, Fujifilm has cornered the affordable APS-C, and MF MILC
markets.

Panasonic have so much more experience than Canon or Nikon in mirrorless
that I wouldn't rule them out so quickly.

Yup! Panasonic is in the process of breaking out of the M43 school, but in
doing so they are diving into the shark tank with the likes of Sony, Nikon, and
Canon. Everybody is still guessing what Olympus has in mind, and as for Pentax,
sadly I think the death watch has started.

For the great majority of users the phone camera is now quite adequate
(lack of zoom excepting),

I can attest that my iPhone 8+ is a great camera, every bit a match for many of
the compact P&S cameras of the recent past. Most importantly it is convenient,
and readily available.

and for amateurs travel compacts, MFT or APS-C
suffice. I see full-frame as an almost purely professional market
(where "the company" pays for the kit), so one which I follow with a
passive interest.

Agreed. I certainly have no need for a FF, or MF camera. I am more than happy
with APS-C. However, that doesn’t stop me from looking at, and appreciating
the entire field.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 18, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 22:43:26 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

and as for Pentax,
sadly I think the death watch has started.

It started in my mind some years ago. I keep buying their stuff, and I
keep thinking it's a big mistake. I exchanged some emails with Sigma
about this years ago, and they certainly hedged their answers, but
even back then things sounded pretty bad. There is just too much
competition for what they offer.
Old September 26th 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/26/2018 12:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

So the BBC sent a reporter to Photokina to talk to a Panasonic spin doctor.

At this time the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma effort is a non-working model with no
demonstrable performance of any kind. For now it is all speculation, and they
are up against it in the FF MILC market with Sony taking the lead, and Nikon,
and Canon breathing heavily to catch up.

It must at least raise the question in one's mind as to why Panasonic
would bother. One answer lies in the lens mount, which will accept Leica
lenses, some requiring an adapter. The long-term relationship between
Panasonic and Leica at least suggests that the appeal of the FF is to
those of us who have 35mm Leica lenses that we like, but the most
practical FF option is the Sony A7 series with compromising adapters.

I've waited a long time for a more direct solution, and if this camera
turns out to be that solution, the short wait from prototype to release
is a non-issue.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 26th 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 26, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 9/26/2018 12:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 25, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45627055

So the BBC sent a reporter to Photokina to talk to a Panasonic spin doctor.

At this time the Panasonic/Leica/Sigma effort is a non-working model with no
demonstrable performance of any kind. For now it is all speculation, and
they are up against it in the FF MILC market with Sony taking the lead, and
Nikon, and Canon breathing heavily to catch up.

It must at least raise the question in one's mind as to why Panasonic
would bother.

There is an FF MILC pie that is in the process of being sliced up. The surest
way to not grab a piece of the pie is too not give current Panasonic users an
FF option. Sony has made inroads into grabbing M43, APS-C, and FF market share
from all the manufacturers with their FF MILC offerings. That is what brought
Nikon, and Canon into the FF MILC game. Panasonic & Leica cannot afford to
lose their users to Sony just because Sony has an FF MILC and a great marketing
department.

One answer lies in the lens mount, which will accept Leica
lenses, some requiring an adapter. The long-term relationship between
Panasonic and Leica at least suggests that the appeal of the FF is to
those of us who have 35mm Leica lenses that we like, but the most
practical FF option is the Sony A7 series with compromising adapters.

That is a consideration, but then you have to think about Sigma joining this
little consortium. Also, part of the appeal of Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm,
and even Sony MILCs is the ability to use adapted lenses from Leica,
Voigtlander, etc. I even like to use my Tokina11-16mm f/2.8 on my Fujifilm
cameras with a $25 K&F Concepts Nikon(G)-FX adaptor

I've waited a long time for a more direct solution, and if this camera
turns out to be that solution, the short wait from prototype to release
is a non-issue.

Whatever works for you. As for me, I have found my comfort zone with Fujifilm
APS-C, and I am not going to FF, or MF anything anytime soon.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/26/2018 9:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

You may be underestimating the interests of Leica owners. The Lumix FF
offering is something we're keeping our eyes on, and MILC is nothing new
to the Lumix line. Panasonic also has a long line of Leica lenses for
their smaller sensor format cameras.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=panasonic%20leica%20lenses&N=0&InitialS earch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

http://shop.panasonic.com/leica#

Although I'm also a long-time Olympus owner (and appreciator of their
technology), I see them as a viable alternative rather than competition
for Leica.

One answer lies in the lens mount, which will accept Leica
lenses, some requiring an adapter. The long-term relationship between
Panasonic and Leica at least suggests that the appeal of the FF is to
those of us who have 35mm Leica lenses that we like, but the most
practical FF option is the Sony A7 series with compromising adapters.

That is a consideration, but then you have to think about Sigma joining this
little consortium.

No, I really don't. I have used Sigma lenses and don't see any reason
why I would be interested in abandoning my Leica, Zeiss, Schneider or
Olympus lenses for them.

--
best regards,

Neil