Ping iPhone users

Old November 5th 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Ping iPhone users

On 2016-11-05 01:43:26 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/4/2016 10:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , android
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

Then just buy a (6ft / 1.8m) or (10ft / 3m) Anker USB-Lightning cable.
Either of those will be plently long enough and the price difference is
inconsequential. For the Powerline+ $16.99 vs. $17.99; and for the
Powerline $12.99 vs $14.99. Their standard (3ft / 0.9m) cable can be had
for $9.99.
https://www.anker.com/products/A81220A1

Thanks, for the info.

--
PeterN
Old November 5th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/4/2016 9:51 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

You missed my point completely. EOD.

--
PeterN
Old November 5th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

You missed my point completely. EOD.

other way around. you missed the point, as usual.
Old November 6th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 21:51:41 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

The jungle under my desk says all the cables I bought are the other
alternative, *much* too long.

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

The jungle under my desk says all the cables I bought are the other
alternative, *much* too long.

then buy shorter cables.

here's one for iphones:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/nomad.jpg
Old November 7th 16, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 07/11/2016 12:24, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

The jungle under my desk says all the cables I bought are the other
alternative, *much* too long.

then buy shorter cables.

here's one for iphones:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/nomad.jpg

I've sidestepped the jungle of phone charge cables around our house for
a short time anyway, by having a phone that charges via USB-C.
For the time being it's not any use to anybody else in our house, so
they stay where I leave them. I no longer need to hunt around looking
for a micro USB cable that will actually work to fast charge a phone.
Despite throwing those cheap nasty cables in the bin when I found them,
they just kept appearing, probably invited in to the house by someone
thinking that as they couldn't find cables when they needed them -
including my good cables that they'd "borrowed"and lost - they'd "solve"
the problem by buying cheap ones in packs of 10.
Not a technical issue per se, but a user/people problem, as are most
frustrations with devices IMO.

Old November 7th 16, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 18:24:43 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

The jungle under my desk says all the cables I bought are the other
alternative, *much* too long.

then buy shorter cables.

Then nothing (much) would reach, and nothing would work.

It's like the old army joke about uniforms: too big or too little.
There is no just right.

Old November 7th 16, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 18:24:43 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yeas he would but he also knows that 3ft and 1m ain't the same....

for a cable, it does't make a difference.

It does if your cable is no the short side.

which is why they make 2m cables.

if 3.4 inches is the difference between reaching and not reaching, you
bought a cable *much* too short. you're ****ed either way.

The jungle under my desk says all the cables I bought are the other
alternative, *much* too long.

then buy shorter cables.

Then nothing (much) would reach, and nothing would work.

It's like the old army joke about uniforms: too big or too little.
There is no just right.

here's one for iphones:
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/nomad.jpg

Stick to metric and daisychain the extra centimeters!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Daisy-chain-an-extension-cord/
--
teleportation kills
Old November 8th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

I have been frustrated by the fragility of iPhone cords. The ones made
by Apple didn't seem to last much longer than the imitations that sold
for a few dollars.

This afternoon I spoke with the folks at Apple about that issue. They
told me that Apple was aware of that issue, and would give me a
replacement cord if the old one went bad within a year.

So, iPhone/iPad users, save your receipts.

BTW if anyone wants to know what took me so long to complain, I say
that I am the type to spend a lot of time researching for a $25 item.

I don't use Apple "Lightning-USB" cables. I use and highly recommend the
much more durable and reliable Anker cables. Their "Powerline+" (their
heavy-dutyedition) and "Powerline" cables are available in various
lengths from 1 ft, 3 ft, 6 ft, and 10 ft. They are available from their
site or Amazon.
https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/110/Cables

Thanks for the info. I ordered a couple of their higher priced ones and
they look well made.

--
PeterN
Old November 8th 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-04 02:46:19 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

They are, and they are far superior to the Apple OEM Lighting cables.

Savageduck