Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

Old January 31st 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

On 2011-01-31 12:31:58 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-01-28 13:39:40 -0800, Savageduck said:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit
in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering
the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/

What

shame. Still, of him it can also be said that he lived.

Coverage of Tunis and Egypt in the US has been abominable, as usual.
Only Fox News has given it any air time at all. The other major
networks are more interested in doing news stories about the lives of
their talking heads, how much they get paid, etc. Have any of them
actually sent correspondents to the area?

NBC, BBC, AP, & Reuters all seem to have a fair number of
correspondents & teams in the area, with most focused on Cairo. They
seem to be taking this seriously, as they should. These events do not
bode well for the Middle-East.

Something worth considering is, we have armed both the Egyptians and
the Israelis with all sorts of goodies, such as 1000 M1 Abrams tanks
for the Egyptians along with various other vehicles and weapons, and
218 F-16's. Then there is an order of AH-64 Apache gunships waiting
delivery.
The Israeli's already have 55 AH-1 Cobra's & 48 AH-64's. To match the
Egyptian F-16's, they have 286 F-16's, 43 F-15's, & 25 F-15E's. For a
ground war they have their own tank, the Merkava, of which they
currently have 1680 various models active with 300 in production. They
also have a tank reserve of 1550 based on M60 & M48 tanks.

So there could be a little more tension in the region than most are
comfortable with, and there is much twitching in Washington.

Savageduck

Old February 1st 11, 02:23 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 1/30/2011 8:40 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

But, as the cook said to the cannibal who complained about the excessive
price of "hippie" on the menue: "Did you ever try to clean one of those
things?"

I know a wildlife photographer who always wears a watch when
photographing cannibals.

He fears being boiled alive and figures that a watched kettle never boils.

--
Peter
Old February 1st 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-31 18:09:55 -0800, John A. said:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:55:48 -0500, shiva das

On 2011-01-31 12:31:58 -0800, C J Campbell

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-mebrouk-doleg
[...]

Thanks, Duck, I share your concerns.

As to Fox's sheer domination of the coverage, I suppose the OP never
heard of CNN, ABC, CBS, PBS, Al Jazzeera Engish, New York Times, Wall
Street Journal, Washington Post, Agance France Press...

NBC had 6 correspondents on air from Cairo this evening.

I guess if one only watches Fox "news" and listens to wingnut talk radio
one might get the impression that no one else is covering the situation
in Egypt.

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

Or, rather, who do they think they sent to Egypt?
http://failblog.org/2011/01/31/epic-...ws-egypt-fail/

Aah! Egypt, Iraq, what difference does it make to Faux News? Their
viewers (and their graphics Dept.) are not going to care one way or
another.

They are catering to the lowest common denominator, and in that World
geography is not a strong point.

Savageduck

Old February 1st 11, 02:30 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 1/30/2011 9:41 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/30/2011 3:03 PM tony cooper spake thus:

I think you're being excessively dense here, almost wilfully obtuse, but
I'll play along anyhow.

The point I was trying to make is that when discussing the Vietnam War
with an American audience, the number of dead is inevitably given as
50-something thousand. (Savageduck pointed out that the actual number is
close to 58K.) Never a *mention* of the far greater losses on the other
side. To me, this is an unconscionable omission. Even if it is written
by an American author in an American media organization to an American
audience.

Either human life is worth exactly the same everywhere around the world
or it isn't. Or, as Savageduck seems to agree, we're hypocrites.

In some cultures, hopefully in the US, all life is equally valuable.
Consider that if a culture devalues the lives of its own people, it is
difficult to place a higher value on the life of a member of that
culture, than its own culture does.

--
Peter
Old February 1st 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 1/31/2011 8:55 PM, shiva das wrote:

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

I hope they send both + Rush, for a start.
Perhaps Roger could help too.

BTW ever see this:

Particularly:

But with this new information, one thing is now uncertain. Did Fox
actually not know the name of the Kingdom Foundation leader or that he
is a News Corp investor? Or did they, as Stewart said, "purposefully
cover it up because it didn't help their fear-driven narrative?"

Stewart turned to John Oliver and Wyatt Cynac to figure out whether Fox
is, in fact, evil or stupid?

WATCH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/stewart-fox-prince-alwaleed_n_692234.html

--
Peter
Old February 2nd 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-01-31 12:31:58 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-01-28 13:39:40 -0800, Savageduck said:

[...]

Actually, I don't watch TV news much. I get most of my news from Wall
Street Journal, AP, NPR and USA Today apps on my iPad. TV is just about
dead. And anyone who throws me in with the "wingnuts" probably doesn't
read this news group much. I am a libertarian, unaffiliated with any
political party.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 2nd 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-01 18:55:38 -0800, C J Campbell
said:

Actually, I don't watch TV news much. I get most of my news from Wall
Street Journal, AP, NPR and USA Today apps on my iPad. TV is just about
dead. And anyone who throws me in with the "wingnuts" probably doesn't
read this news group much. I am a libertarian, unaffiliated with any
political party.

How can you call yourself a Libertarian and claim to be unaffiliated
with any political party?
That is an oxymoronic statement.

The Libertarian Party is the third largest political party in the
country. There have been winning Libertarian Party candidates in US
elections since 1978. It hold ballot status, along with the GOP, and
the Democratic party in all 50 states.
Your last Libertarian Party Presidential candidate in 2008 was Bob
Barr. I am sure he appreciated your support.

Having no affiliation with a political party is to be an independent,
not a Libertarian. Unless you don't know what it means to be a
Libertarian, that is.

Savageduck

Old February 2nd 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-02-01 18:55:38 -0800, C J Campbell
said:

[...]

I am a libertarian, not a Libertarian. The Libertarian party sometimes
has issues with libertarianism.

Old February 2nd 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-01-31 19:17:15 -0800, peter said:

On 1/31/2011 8:55 PM, shiva das wrote:

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

I hope they send both + Rush, for a start.
Perhaps Roger could help too.

BTW ever see this:

Particularly:

But with this new information, one thing is now uncertain. Did Fox
actually not know the name of the Kingdom Foundation leader or that he
is a News Corp investor? Or did they, as Stewart said, "purposefully
cover it up because it didn't help their fear-driven narrative?"

Stewart turned to John Oliver and Wyatt Cynac to figure out whether Fox
is, in fact, evil or stupid?

WATCH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/stewart-fox-prince-alwaleed_n_692234.html

Seems

to me that this obsession with Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, and Palin is
extreme to the point of being a mental illness. And yet, those who keep
up these unreasoned, incessant and, may I say, irrational attacks refer
to their opposition as "wingnuts?" lol. Sounds like a serious case of
projection, to me.

Old February 2nd 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-02 10:10:13 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-02-01 18:55:38 -0800, C J Campbell
said:

[...]

OK! I can accept that in the literal sense you could well be an
independent who follows a libertarian philosophy. However the
dictionary does not differentiate between the capitalized, or
non-capitalized version of the word.

libertarian
noun
1 an adherent of libertarianism : [as adj. ] libertarian philosophy.
• a person who advocates civil liberty.
2 Philosophy a person who believes in the doctrine of free will.
ORIGIN late 18th cent. (sense 2) : from liberty , on the pattern of
words such as unitarian.

In today's political language, most understand an individual claiming
to be a (L)(l)ibertarian in the USA, to be a follower of the
Libertarian Party. So without a party affiliation it might be worth
considering what the Libertarian Party platform actually states:

"As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all
individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to
sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others."
Its Statement of Principles begins: "We, the members of the Libertarian
Party, challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights
of the individual."
The platform emphasizes individual liberty in personal and economic
affairs, avoidance of "foreign entanglements" and military and economic
intervention in other nations' affairs and free trade and migration.
It calls for Constitutional limitations on government as well as the
elimination of most state functions.
It includes a "Self-determination" section which quotes from the
Declaration of independence and reads: "Whenever any form of government
becomes destructive of individual liberty, it is the right of the
people to alter or to abolish it, and to agree to such new governance
as to them shall seem most likely to protect their liberty."
It also includes an "Omissions" section which reads: "Our silence about
any other particular government law, regulation, ordinance, directive,
edict, control, regulatory agency, activity, or machination should not
be construed to imply approval."

Savageduck