Bell beginning to toll for reflexive optical viewfinders?

Old August 18th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

Default Bell beginning to toll for reflexive optical viewfinders?

Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
Spectra-Photonics magazine:

Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.

Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Old August 18th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Toby

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
Spectra-Photonics magazine:

Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.

Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Because all LCD viewfinders are crap compared to optical.

Toby

Old August 18th 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Andrey Tarasevich

RichA wrote:
Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

"Electronic" viewfinders occupy approximately the same place in the world of
viewfinders as plastic bodies occupy in the world of camera bodies. Yet somehow
you expect to see such viewfinders in top-end cameras, while advocating against
plastic bodies. You are a man of paradoxes, one might say
Old August 18th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

RichA wrote:
Fujifilm digital camera to use Kopin Viewfinder
Spectra-Photonics magazine:

Fujifilm Corp. of Tokyo will intergrate the CyberEVR 230K-NF
electronic viewfinder from Kopin Corp. of Tauton, Mass., into its
FinePix S700 digital camera, designed primarily for amateur
photographers interested in upgrading to an SLR-styled digital camera
with advanced features. The viewfinder is designed to provide
detailed images-even in bright sunlight - and to enable fine focusing.

Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical. Maybe
someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have optical
finders.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old August 18th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_3_]

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
[...]

How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it on
a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

Old August 18th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"N" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Because electronic viewfinders are not yet the equal to optical.
Maybe someday, but until then the better equipment will continue to have
optical finders.

How could they ever be? They need to downsample the image to display it
on a small screen and that makes it useless for checking sharpness.

SLR viewfinders are limited by the fineness of the fresnel lenses and ground
glass or microprisms used. Their resolution is actually quite limited.

So it should be possible to make an electronic viewfinder that's just as
good. Someday.

I liked the EVF on the Sony F707. I suspect the EVFs are getting worse, not
better, though. The ones I've tried in the stores since then have been
hideous. (I haven't tried them all, of course. I was in the largest camera
store in Tokyo today and thought that maybe I should play with a few P&S
cameras and a non-Canon dSLR or two, but just didn't have the energy for
it.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 18th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 18, 6:39 am, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"N" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

[...]

Properly prepared ground glass is a really high res way to focus. I
used to have a camera where I could change the focusing plane. Would
love to have that on a DSLR camera I could afford. I do a lot of macro
work, and placing the plane of best focus is essential to good macro
work.

Still, the DSLR I have beats by a large margin any EVF I have tried.
Microprisms are not THAT bad.

Old August 18th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article . com,
RichA wrote:

Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

What I don't get is why you keep babbling on about things you know
nothing about.
Old August 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

"N" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

[...]

A magnifying EVF or LCD is superior for ultra-critical focusing on
static objects.

Old August 18th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

On Aug 18, 11:51 am, Randall Ainsworth
wrote:
In article . com,

RichA wrote:
Thing I don't get is why the S-700? It's a cheap Fuji. If this
finder is so great, why not put it in the top line Fuji P&S?

What I don't get is why you keep babbling on about things you know
nothing about.

So offer up your vast (wedding photog!) expertise on the matter.