Not allowed to take a picture!.

Old August 12th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_6_]

Default Not allowed to take a picture!.

Not allowed to take
a picture!.

Hi all

Decided to go out today to take some pictures of around the Temple Quay
area of Bristol.

I tried to take a picture of an office block (if you know Bristol its the
one with a statue of Brunel outside) ,when a security guard came out and
told me I cold not take a picture of the building: I then retreated across
the public highway and tried to take another picture, but the guard came
rushing over again to me informing me that all pictures of the building were
prohibited. The office block was owed by a firm of solicitors.

Has anyone else had this problem when photographing on a public highway

Kind regards
DAVE
http://djmp.co.uk/slr/

Old August 12th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Dave" wrote in message
k...
Not allowed to
take a picture!.

Hi all

Decided to go out today to take some pictures of around the Temple Quay
area of Bristol.

I tried to take a picture of an office block (if you know Bristol its the
one with a statue of Brunel outside) ,when a security guard came out and
told me I cold not take a picture of the building: I then retreated across
the public highway and tried to take another picture, but the guard came
rushing over again to me informing me that all pictures of the building
were
prohibited. The office block was owed by a firm of solicitors.

Has anyone else had this problem when photographing on a public highway

Kind regards
DAVE
http://djmp.co.uk/slr/

Hi.

Yes, it has happened to me a few times.

However if the exterior of the building is viewable from the Queens highway,
(or even the Local Authority roadway), then no-one has any right to prohibit
photography of it.

All you need to do is tell him to get lost, and explain that if its owners
don't want it photographed, they should move it somewhere more private, or
cover it up.

Private Security Guards very often have an over important view of their own
authority, but the owners of the building should be aware of their own lack
of rights in this matter.

The only exception is buildings covered by the Official Secrets Act, and
they will have a Statutory notice explaining that Photography is Prohibited
under the terms of that Act, but even the exterior of MI5 Headquarters in
London is photographable.

Roy G

Old August 12th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Dave wrote:
Not allowed to take
a picture!.

Hi all

Decided to go out today to take some pictures of around the Temple Quay
area of Bristol.

I tried to take a picture of an office block (if you know Bristol its the
one with a statue of Brunel outside) ,when a security guard came out and
told me I cold not take a picture of the building: I then retreated across
the public highway and tried to take another picture, but the guard came
rushing over again to me informing me that all pictures of the building were
prohibited. The office block was owed by a firm of solicitors.

Has anyone else had this problem when photographing on a public highway

As Roy noted, it's becoming a more and more common occurrence.

I'd suggest telling the guard he can either smile for the birdie, or get
out of the way. If you know you're within your rights, you can always
invite him to call the police. They'll be quite pleased that he's
wasted their time.

If you really wanted to be vindictive, you could inform the law firm
inside that their guard is violating your rights...

Old August 12th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gino[_2_]

As said, but if you really want to wind the security guard up, start taking
photos of him as well, which you are entitled to do in a public place.

Old August 12th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_4_]

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I find the pdf file from http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php an excellent
reference.

Old August 12th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

Brian wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:06:02 GMT:

B "Dave" wrote in message
B k...
?? Not
?? allowed to take a picture!.
??
?? Hi all
??
[...]

Does anyone know if there is similar US source? Telling
officious jerks not to be ridiculous and inviting them to call
the cops seems to work.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old August 12th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

In news:giIvi.1008$jU4.969@trnddc02 "James Silverton"
wrote:

Does anyone know if there is similar US source?

If you'd actually read the Web page at the link provided in the article
from " that you somehow managed to leave out of
your followup, you'd have found a link to

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old August 12th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

Bert wrote on 12 Aug 2007 18:34:41 GMT:

?? Does anyone know if there is similar US source?

BH If you'd actually read the Web page at the link provided in
BH the article from " that you somehow
BH managed to leave out of your followup, you'd have found a
BH link to

BH http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

You are right but I did not "actually read" the whole web page!

Old August 12th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:59:25 +0100, "Gino" wrote:

As said, but if you really want to wind the security guard up, start taking
photos of him as well, which you are entitled to do in a public place.

And invite about thirty friends with cameras to join
in mass picture taking event, even put an ad in the paper offering a
prize for the best picture of the building.